hd650 or k702(+cable?) v ath-ad2000
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I don't think so but not 100% sure. But don't be surprised if I do. I have been using the K702 exclusively for the past couple of weeks, so when I switch to using the K701, I'll probably know for sure.

Hehehe...Undimmed attraction of the dark side.
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by troymadison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, I don't think so but not 100% sure. But don't be surprised if I do. I have been using the K702 exclusively for the past couple of weeks, so when I switch to using the K701, I'll probably know for sure.

pls report any differences on this thread if there are any
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #18 of 19
I am also considering HD650 and K702. For those who have experience with both:
(a) which one is harder to drive?
(b) which one is more comfortable to wear?

Thanks a lot.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by khtse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am also considering HD650 and K702. For those who have experience with both:
(a) which one is harder to drive?
(b) which one is more comfortable to wear?

Thanks a lot.

701/2 is harder to amplify
650 is more comfortable

701/2 has a very open presentation and lacks bass weight and to me sounds more like your at a live event (Concert, Auditorium, etc.) and does not sound very natural. The 7 series also has a serious deficiency of bass weight that makes for a situation where a singer may have more weight or presence than a bass drum. I also think the sound signature will be hard to change as you would need a very nice tube amp with a transformer coupled output like a Woo WA2. This being true, you will need to spend more money on amplification and tubes unless you go with a hybrid amp like the EF-1 (EF-1 has lots of tube rolling options). Other wise a good solid state amp would be preferred but then altering the sound signature will be limited to changing cables.

650 is closed in and feels more like your in a recording studio as it puts you very close to the music and it sounds very natural and life like. Drawback to the 650 is it seems to have a veil to the sound signature but that can be changed with a re-cable and some tube rolling. The 650 is much more customizable as it will work with any half decent (OTL) output transformer-less amp (Little-Dot, Low end Woo, Inexpensive DIY, etc.). This being the case you can roll tubes and tweak the sound signature until you find exactly what you want. The 650 has a connectorized cabling system that allows for user changeable headphone cables and this allows you to alter or improve the sound signature without sending your headphones to someone for a re-cable.

Short version = 650 sounds natural, works well with inexpensive tube amps that allow for tube rolling (Very important) and makes changing the cable extremely easy (Also very important), but will never give you the impression you are at a large event as it puts you close to the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back