hd650 or k702(+cable?) v ath-ad2000
Jan 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

oldson

1000+ Head-Fier
thinking of giving up the search for the ad2000 in uk.
trying now to decide on the lesser ath-ad900 or the two options mentioned in the title.
the senns and akg's are easily re-cabled, this makes them more appealing for future upgrades!
all 3 are about the same price in uk. should i go with the 2 that are easily re-cabled or the at's?
or maybe , toss a coin?
cant audition all 3 in same place!
will be amped ,so that is not an issue.
will cable upgrades make a noticable difference cosidering the rest of my gear?

flac/winamp/aiso4all>mf v-dac> LD mkv(soon gs solo)>phones (currently ath-a900, closed)

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 19
You should be able to find a place with both hd650 and k702 (or k701, the same but white and probably cheaper). that way you know what you're gonna get. If you're thinking of buying in a normal store after audition, you can get both on internet for about the same price as one in a normal store
smily_headphones1.gif
(ok not quite, €500 total)
ad2000 are more expensive (~€500/600? and you have to get them from Japan, so import taxes apply too.)

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

If you're thinking of buying in a normal store after audition, you can get both on internet for about the same price as one in a normal store

...and if everyone does that at some point there won't be 'normal stores' for people to audition headphones in.

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and if everyone does that at some point there won't be 'normal stores' for people to audition headphones in.

High end headphones aren't where their profits come from.

Back on topic, I'd forget about cables for now, just find the headphones you like. I'd go the AD2000 route, but that's just me. I can't recommend the K701/702; I have it and don't find it that great, something's just off about it.

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 19
looks like the ad2000 is off menu. as i cant find them in eu.
importing is gonn cost £500 plus the risk of import duty, which i am told, could well be another £100.
shame AT dont supply em to uk!

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Don't go with the lesser AD900. In the end you will be disappointed (not to say they are not any good) but you will always wonder 'what about'.
wink.gif

Anyway, the Sennheiser and AKG are two completely different headphones. There has been written a lot of stuff about them on these boards. Do a search.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't go with the lesser AD900. In the end you will be disappointed (not to say they are not any good) but you will always wonder 'what about'.
wink.gif

Anyway, the Sennheiser and AKG are two completely different headphones. There has been written a lot of stuff about them on these boards. Do a search.
smily_headphones1.gif

i have done endless searching, believe me.
trouble is as we all know, everyones tastes and systems are different. so trying to build a consensus on two very good phones is difficult.
i could audition some , but not in same place/ time. so that is also difficult as memory fades quickly! (at my age
wink.gif
)
my head says "go with best price/deal".
waiting for my new amp to arrive 1st anyway.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #12 of 19
I would take both AKG and HD650 - I liked AT 5000 but still not "the one" for everything. So I've keep 2 main cans for different music instead of one. Actually HD650s belong to my wife
k701smile.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
troymadison,
did you find any audible difference between the k701 and k702

Honestly, I don't think so but not 100% sure. But don't be surprised if I do. I have been using the K702 exclusively for the past couple of weeks, so when I switch to using the K701, I'll probably know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back