HD650 or HD600?
Feb 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #17 of 45

Quote:
Is the HD650 or HD600 better for electronic/rock?

I am not 100% sure since I have never head the HD650, but I have heard a lot of people say that the 650 is dark which leads me to believe it wouldn't be as good for electronic/rock. I just got my HD600s and I like them for rock.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #18 of 45
 I own the 600s and the 650s and prefer the 600 with any type of rock, acoustic, classical or jazz. The 650 does bass heavy music a bit better and has a wider sound stage, but I think the 650 sounds like the 650 in almost every decent source, whereas the 600 sounds so much cleaner in an upgraded  source. Sound is subjective, but I love the 600s.

Aug 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
I've owned both, then sold my 650s. I personally found the 600s better in every way and with every genre of music I played on them. I'd suggest the 600s. 

I am torn between the 650s and 600 and trying to make up my mind for a 650, going by the online reviews.
I have never heard these headphones so do not know what to expect from these. I do not like excessively mid centric sound and couldn't bear sibilance. The reviews says that the 650s are more bassy and dark whereas the 600s are more forward and bass light. Does that mean 650s are more mid centric?

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #21 of 45
I owned both at the same time and kept the HD600.  The only difference I could tell between them was that the HD600 had slightly more treble and less bass than the HD650.  The HD600 sounded more neutral to me, so I went with it; though I'd be happy with either.  I use a $180 sound card (Xonar Essence STX) and I've tried more expensive DACs/amps and I don't notice any difference.  To get any improvement over this setup, you'd need to upgrade your headphones to at least the middle of the Stax line. I'm not willing to spend $1000+ for that, so HD600 it is.

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #22 of 45
Quote:
I am torn between the 650s and 600 and trying to make up my mind for a 650, going by the online reviews.
I have never heard these headphones so do not know what to expect from these. I do not like excessively mid centric sound and couldn't bear sibilance. The reviews says that the 650s are more bassy and dark whereas the 600s are more forward and bass light. Does that mean 650s are more mid centric?

I'd say they're about the same mid-wise.  Neither have sibilance.  HD650 has very slightly more bass and less treble than the HD600.  Bass=dark and treble=light/forward.  Don't let that confuse you
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #23 of 45
HD650 sounds better if you like music
HD600 sounds better if you like analyzing music and objectively critiquing the music.

The mids and the bass of the HD650 tend to deter any analytical listening, but it's all very nice to listen to once you get down to actually listening to music. The HD600 is a wonderful headphone for the price with a great signature and blissful neutrality and accuracy, the HD650 just is a bit more flavor added and has the treble trimmed down a bit to be more comfortable to listen to.

I don't buy into the "this headphone is slow"

If a headphone was slow, it would be broken. It seems like a more "cozier" sound signature than something like a Grado which has "attack" due to how snappy the bass is along with the thumping midbass to align with the hot sparkly treble that they're known for.

For MOST people, especially people who don't necessarily care about graphs and how flat and neutral the frequency response is, I think the HD650 is better. I will say that off the bat, the HD650's bass and mids will wow a lot more people who are listening to them the first time who don't have headphones as a hobby.

I own the HD580 and meet up with a lot of HD650 owners over the years to be able to come to that conclusion.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #24 of 45
I think this has to be the first time the HD600 has been called analytical.

Quote:

HD600 sounds better if you like analyzing music and objectively critiquing the music.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:
I think this has to be the first time the HD600 has been called analytical.

I didn't call them analytical in nature if you read my post, just that they are better suited for sitting down and studying songs.

I usually space out when I listen to music.. to each their own.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #26 of 45
Quote:
HD650 sounds better if you like music

Sorry Chris - heard both and couldn't disagree with you more.  All depends if you like a darker signature or not.  I could be very happy with the HD650 - but I definitely prefer the 600s - and I am a music listener  - not an analyser
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #28 of 45
I found the HD 650 to be wayyyy too colored - especially the bass. I know they were designed that way but I think they went overboard. It's kind of like taking a very neutral headphone and using the "lounge" EQ on Itunes. That's kind of what it sounds like. 

Honestly, the only way to tell which one you like better is to compare them yourself. A lot of people do prefer the 650 over the 600, though you have to take into account bias of the higher price tag.

Personally, I like neither. I think they roll off their treble too quickly for the sake of saving fatigue, which makes them lack energy. Vocals sound a bit distant in my ears, though the soundstage isn't anything spectacular. Imaging is above average though. If I had to pick, it would be the HD 600. Easier to drive, and more clearer neutral bass. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #29 of 45
Another strange comment about the 600. The mids/vocals are more up front than any other mid-fi phone I have tried. Actually none of the other phones I have owned besides the Grados have even been close to the vocal presence of the Sennheiser and why I have never found a replacement for them. You are spot on regarding imaging and soundstage though. The treble is rolled off a tad soon for me too, but the way they did it gives excellent timbre up high and this is where most phones fail. I understand sound preference is subjective, but I can't own phones that don't sound like live instruments and Senheiser is the only one I have found that has accomplished that.

Quote:
Vocals sound a bit distant in my ears

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:
Another strange comment about the 600. The mids/vocals are more up front than any other mid-fi phone I have tried. Actually none of the other phones I have owned besides the Grados have even been close to the vocal presence of the Sennheiser and why I have never found a replacement for them. You are spot on regarding imaging and soundstage though. The treble is rolled off a tad soon for me too, but the way they did it gives excellent timbre up high and this is where most phones fail. I understand sound preference is subjective, but I can't own phones that don't sound like live instruments and Senheiser is the only one I have found that has accomplished that.

Agree....vocals definitely don't sound 'distant' on the hd580(same drivers as the 600). They sound pretty spot on. Vocals on my k240DF are equally upfront though.....and even the k702, if I remember correctly. Timbre sounds pretty spot on.....not sure which I prefer in that regard, the 240DF or the hd580/600. Both are excellent.  Disagree with the comment about them being for overly analytical listening. Imo, they're very smooth, and allow you to get immersed in the music and forget about analyzing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back