HD650 opening up!!!
Dec 26, 2008 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

goorackerelite

100+ Head-Fier
FInally got a taste of what the HD650s are capable of!!!

They're starting to open up a little bit after a Dedicated DAC and a tube amp in the chain.

Dec 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, as expected. The 650 is mediocre at best when non-powered

They are still better than many of headphones even when under-powered
ph34r.gif
When balanced, they're far better.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 13
with the clean signal and the tube amp in the chain, I'm more aware of the instrumentation spacing and the overall sonic landscaping that the producers had intended. However I'm also painstakingly aware of how much more refined the set up can be. I'm starting to notice things like the hardness of the sound, the muddiness of the bass at times and when things get demanding in the mix, the sound just don't cut it. I guess it's time to play the upgrade game once again.

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #7 of 13
That's the beauty of tube amps... you can get different sound by switching out the tubes. And that's not all that expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 13
oh man the HD650s are ruthless, they let me listen DEEP into the transistors and the pots inside of my amp and DAC, not to mention all the cables. I can hear the little bottlenecks where the transients and flow of the music are getting choked off.

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man the HD650s are ruthless, they let me listen DEEP into the transistors and the pots inside of my amp and DAC, not to mention all the cables. I can hear the little bottlenecks where the transients and flow of the music are getting choked off.

Uh....

Dec 27, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

OH MAN. That must be Awsome. Better get me some 650s
wink.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

ERS paper can help:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 13
Great news! The 650s are sweet cans, and they love tubes.
I can't wait for my new DAC to arrive, going to be even better. The great thing about the 650s, is that they get better with every upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back