HD650 mod
Mar 31, 2007 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

The Rino

100+ Head-Fier
Someone said they removed the foam from in between the earpads and they noticed an improvement in sound. Have and of you guys tried this does it work and how do I do it???

Mar 31, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Here, the same mod on the HD580, the darth senn made by Kramer:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...8&postcount=16

got it out of the darth senn topic here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ght=darth+senn

oh, and a pic:

dscn7775ml0.jpg

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone said they removed the foam from in between the earpads and they noticed an improvement in sound. Have and of you guys tried this does it work and how do I do it???

1) Pull off the pad on one side (just give it a firm tug - the pads won't tear). Repeat for the other side.
2) The foam inside will simply slide out. Replace it with a thinner sheet of material, such as knee-hi or even hairnet.
3) Put the pads (with the replacement sheet) back in place.
4) You're done.

I did this with mine years ago and I have been listening thus this way. Much clearer and simply better. Every Senn owners ought to try this as it can make a very noticeable difference (at no cost!) and, if you don't like it, it is reversible.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the difference quite noticeable and it left me with no desire to consider a cable upgrade. Although, I really don't see the need to replace the foam with panty hose or anything.

If you can find yourself a relatively affordable set of replacement cable (around $100), you will find it a substantial improvement over the stock cable. I know I love my Oehlbach cable (quite more so than the Headphile cable I also own).

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can find yourself a relatively affordable set of replacement cable (around $100), you will find it a substantial improvement over the stock cable. I know I love my Oehlbach cable (quite more so than the Headphile cable I also own).

Cheers!

Then I definitely will consider this cable upgrade... at least after I upgrade to an EMU-0404 USB. Thanks

Oct 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Are these mods really an improvement or does it just sound different. I am getting my HD 650 soon and I dont think I want to do these mods.

No they just just sound different. I've tried them all and they only add a different flavour. I dont have any foam on the inside cup but thats my personal preference, for me it adds a little bit more detail. Also it can be easily put back rather than cutting a whole in it. Had my 650's for about 5 year before trying any mods though.

Jan 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 12
I just replaced the pads with panty hose and I was surprised by the significant improvement. Those pads didn't seem thick enough to muffle the sound that much.

Jan 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #12 of 12
What is the verdict on removing the foam completely vs just cutting the coin hole?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back