HD650 + M-A Corda Move + Apple MacBook
Aug 6, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Varcharz

Head-Fier
I overwhelmingly use my Apple MacBook as my primary source of music. I want a new set of cans (currently have SR-60s and Etymotic ER-4Ps) and was looking into the Sennheiser HD-650s. I know they need a decent amp and I've heard great things about the Meier-Audio Corda Move, and it's relatively cheap, which is always good.

Would these components play nicely with eachother? Am I on the wrong track? Any solutions, advice, or ideas would be well-received and appreciated.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #2 of 14
You could always wait a little and wait for the iBasso D1 is reviewed here as it is cheaper and has "better parts" than the MOVE. I'm looking to downgrade to either one of these as I have expenses to pay off and I'm selling off my DAC and amp to downgrade to either the D1 or the MOVE.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 14
The thing is I don't even know what I need. Do I need a DAC and an AMP? I'd be playing out of my laptop's headphone jack/USB/Optical.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always wait a little and wait for the iBasso D1 is reviewed here as it is cheaper and has "better parts" than the MOVE. I'm looking to downgrade to either one of these as I have expenses to pay off and I'm selling off my DAC and amp to downgrade to either the D1 or the MOVE.

So, is the D1 suposed to be more promissor than the MOVE?
Sorry if this has been answered before, but i just saw the D1 newsletter ...

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is the D1 suposed to be more promissor than the MOVE?
Sorry if this has been answered before, but i just saw the D1 newsletter ...

There's a thread on it in the Amp forum. Check it out. It might be better, it might not.

As for the OP, you don't NEED a DAC/AMP, but it would be in your best interest and for you wallet to get one of these combos. I don't think a 650 would be good because you won't be utilizing the 650's full potential. I would score myself a pair of 580's if I were you. They are AWESOME.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 14
For all we know, the D1 could just be a Mini-Audio with USB added. Who really knows how it truly performs?

1) If you need an amp now, get the move because many members use it to power the hd650/k701 (including myself) and it sounds great.

2) If you can wait a few weeks to a month or maybe even 2 months, there should be some reviews coming out on the D1. As of yet, we do not know if it is capable of powering the juggernaut HD650. It may be a hit or miss, just speculation at this point.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Part of the reason I want the 650s is because I want to future-proof myself for as long as I can. I rarely have the kind of money required to buy these things, but I happen to at the moment, so I want to go for it.

To Computerstud, you feel the Move adequately powers the 650s? I know there are much better amps out there but I really can't afford too much.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 14
If you are using a computer you should use and external DAC. With the macs you can just run the optical out to an external dac or get a USB dac. There are many amps that have DACs in them. A good DAC will be a HUGE inprovment.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 14
So is the Corda Move a good selection?

Also, can it be powered by the USB function?

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 14
Before I bought the move, I PM many move owners who have both the hd650/k701. It was pretty much unanimous that the move sounds great with the hd650. I however, do not have the hd650 but k701. It does a fine job with the k701 (one of the hardest HP to drive) with a little room to spare. Yet, I don't know what your preference is, can't really comment on whether you will like the hd650/move combo.

Check out the move thread, many comments on move and hd580/600/650 and k701.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 14
My MOVE easily powers my HD650's to a suitable level even at low gain. When running from my laptop into my MOVE DAC, the sound is excellent.
At the high-gain setting, the output is above safe listening levels.

I very much recommend the combination. The MOVE is a first-rate amplifier, and can hold its own in any company, IMHO.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 14
Corda MOVE is definitely one of the best, however its relatively warmth in mid and weight in bass sound characteristics would not be a good synergy with the HD650. In contrast, RSA with brighter signature would be better in this scenario.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #14 of 14
Can't comment on the HD650s, but I'm extremely happy running my Move out of my laptop into my SR325s or anything else. I'm using that combo much more than the DVD>Opera pair, simply because it's more convenient, and the sound is certainly adequate. Rating convenience + sound, it's an especially nice combination for the $$, given all the things the Move does and does well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back