HD650 is here!
Sep 28, 2006 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
My long-awaited HD650 is here! I'll write my impression later. Too busy listening right now.

Sep 28, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 39
Okay, well, this is my first really high-end headphone, so I didn't know what to expect, coming from audiophile speakers. It's currently paired with a Total BitHead. And unfortunately my source at the moment isn't that great: an iPod and some crappy MP3's on my notebook. What I noticed, however, is that, contrary to belief the iPod could drive the headphones pretty well, although I haven't used it like that for a long time.

Anyway, initial impression tidbits.
It has much more impact than any other headphones I've tried, and I'm not referring to the bass only when I say impact.
The clarity is better.
Now I really think I should get some lossless format to play on it. The music sounds a bit... cramped, if that's understandable.

More after I come back from class.

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 39
Okay... after listening to them extensively, I'm not getting impressed. What am I missing here? I'm listening to some Brandenburg Concerto FLAC's on my notebook paired with TBH.

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 39
You might be missing the detail and PRAT that the Sennheisser's don't do well. I know some will justify this by saying with a balanced amp, cable blah blah blah turns it into a Grado
rolleyes.gif
, but it just doesn't get it.

hehe But they do things well. They just need a good amp and more break in probably.

Sep 28, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer
Okay... after listening to them extensively, I'm not getting impressed. What am I missing here? I'm listening to some Brandenburg Concerto FLAC's on my notebook paired with TBH.

According to your posting times, you've only listened to these phones for 5 hours. Your 'phones haven't even broken in yet! Leave them on overnight and see how they fair tomorrow morning. Actually, leave them on every night for the next 20 nights (approx 180 hours) and then tell us what you think.

5 hours, new-out-of-the-box, HD650s don't sound at their full potential yet.

EDIT: If you got yours used, which is quite common around here, 5 hours isn't enough time to let your ears "burn-in" to the sound assuming they're already physically burned-in. You also mention that you use an iPod with "crappy mp3s". Please can you expand on that? What bitrate mp3's? The iTunes MP3 encoder is known to be extremely poor for encoding low bitrate mp3s (ie <128kbps). Also, what generation is your iPod?

Sep 28, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 39
What he said.

I won't admit to believing in HP burn/break-in but my 650 seemed to change in the ways that many here comment on. Placebo, whatever...or as milkpowder mentioned "ear burn-in".

I never let my 650 sit for days on end playing in a drawer and mine have an estimated 400 hours play time. Any discernible change would be unlikely I think.

I love mine for every reason that they are "famous" for...whatever that is
tongue.gif

This extremely unhelpful post has been brought to you courtesy of Yuengling.
eggosmile.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 39
Did you get a chance to audition the headphones before purchasing? It maybe sounds like you didn't get the phones right for you. Depending on what your looking for other makers might suit your taste better. Check out Grado (my personal favorites), Beyerdynamic, and AKG. All great phones, but all present slightly different. The one great thing with the Grado's and custom order Beyer's (32ohm) the ipod itself will power them fairly well.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #9 of 39
The 650 is ok say straight out of a iPod, but shines with better gear without question. Imho I think your source & amp are a detriment to what the 650 can really do. Then again it is possible the 650 just may not be for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
You might be missing the detail and PRAT that the Sennheisser's don't do well. I know some will justify this by saying with a balanced amp, cable blah blah blah turns it into a Grado
rolleyes.gif
, but it just doesn't get it.

hehe But they do things well. They just need a good amp and more break in probably.

The 650 has quite a bit of detail & PRAT in my set up. Impact too. I for one am thankful they are not like most of the tinnitus inducing Grados. To each their own though.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
According to your posting times, you've only listened to these phones for 5 hours. Your 'phones haven't even broken in yet!

how do you even know he believes in burn-in?

--
as todd says, maybe the 650's just don't meet your needs, schalldampfer.

Sep 29, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guss2
Why would he want them to turn into an ear bleeding piece of crap headphone,like a Grado.Let them burn in as others have suggested.Gary.

Blasphemous
rs1smile.gif

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdeth
how do you even know he believes in burn-in?

--
as todd says, maybe the 650's just don't meet your needs, schalldampfer.

"ear-burn-in", maybe? After listening to a pair of headphones for a while, you will grow more accustomed to the sound and eventually, one might even find something you like!

Sep 29, 2006 at 8:41 AM Post #13 of 39
HD-650 was my first serious headphones and I am very happy with them. I'm now using them with some home-built unknown amp which, even though it's cheap, gives a big improvement. I am not familiar with the terminology used here for describing the subjective sound experience but i would simply describe it as more presence, both when it comes to an amp and a proper burn-in.

There is without any doubt a significant difference after they're burnt in IMO. A maybe small but still obvious enough blanket to remove from the sound before the headphones are releasing their potential.

Good luck!

Sep 29, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 39
I currently have it hooked up to a Total BitHead. And after a bit less than 24 hours of burn in, it does seem to sound better. The piano trills roll just right off, and the string solos are now starting to shine with all the vibrations noticeable. It sounds warm. And compared to other craphones I had it has a punch that doesn't sound artificial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back