HD650+GS Solo: which cable to replace the HD stock?
May 3, 2008 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

nettuno65

New Head-Fier
I have the HD650 and GS Solo Monitor Class, I wonder which cable is the best option for this couple (now there are a few on the market), I have the Cardas but I still find the HD650 too slow and dark...
frown.gif

I listen only to jazz and classic music.

Thanks for your help

May 4, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nettuno65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the HD650 and GS Solo Monitor Class, I wonder which cable is the best option for this couple (now there are a few on the market), I have the Cardas but I still find the HD650 too slow and dark...
frown.gif

I listen only to jazz and classic music.

Thanks for your help

You want the Revelation Audio Labs Cryo-Silver Senn Cable. It will brighten them up as much as they can be brightened by a cable. I've tried several - and it was the best.

Revelation Audio Labs: analog cables

Just email Brad and tell him what you want. He'll make them with grey, or black covers if you prefer - I did.

Also - if you haven't already tried it - you'll want to remove the foam liners of the ear pads and replace it with nylon stocking material, or plastic window screen mesh from the hardware store.

And... you need to make sure you've got a good CDP/DAC (e.g. Monarchy M24 Tube DAC, Cambridge Audio 840C, etc.).

The Solo is a great amp with the Senns.

If that doesn't do it for you... then... get the HD600s.

May 4, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 19
Gradofan2 is right.

Me, I'd give up the HD650 and use an HD600.
biggrin.gif
But Gradofan has given you good cable advice if that's the way you want to go..........

May 4, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 19
Thanks for your suggestions, I guess they are all about interconnect cables to use be used between the cdp and the Solo.

My questions is about which cable can replace the Sennheiser stock cable to make the HD650 faster and brighter with the Solo (if this possible...)
I already have the Cardas and I wonder if another cable can give me more in this direction, perhaps a silver cable?
Does it exist for the HD650?

Thanks again

Antonio

May 4, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 19
As good as the advice here is about the RAL cable, be aware that there are some issues with RAL as a company in the last few months and many people are still waiting for their cables after several months.
I would look to get one here second hand if I were you.
Alternatively, the Zu Mobius is another favourite here that brightens up the HD650.

May 4, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 19
[size=xx-small]A slightly different approach[/size]

The Graham Slee is warmly coloured, imo. Before I spent $250+ on a cable replacement, I'd sell the GS & the Cardas, and get a more neutral amp (use the stock Sennheiser cable).

May 5, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]A slightly different approach[/size]

The Graham Slee is warmly coloured, imo. Before I spent $250+ on a cable replacement, I'd sell the GS & the Cardas, and get a more neutral amp (use the stock Sennheiser cable).

Which one do you recommend to have faster and brighter sound?

It should be a good partner also for my RS1 but may these headphones are too different to have a good result with the same amp...

May 5, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 19
In my opinion I think changing the amp is not the right approach. If you enjoy the Graham Slee (which has a more neutral/cool tone IMO - purely subjective though
wink.gif
) then why change it? Rather try and tweak the sound of one of the headphones with something which is easier and cheaper that changing the amp, and risking it not synergizing with one (or worse, both) headphones.

For cables, the Zu and APS would be the ones I suggest...and I've tried almost all of them. I think the Equinox is the best in retaining the Sennheier's inherent character; but if you prefer the brighter sound that the two above (Zu in particular) gets my vote.

May 5, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan2 is right.

Me, I'd give up the HD650 and use an HD600.
biggrin.gif
But Gradofan has given you good cable advice if that's the way you want to go..........

I'd do the same...

You're cardas cable will be a good complement for the HD580/600s.

And the RAL Cryo-Silver is a replacement cable for the HD580/600/650 Senns, not an IC.

But you should also use silver IC's for your HD650s - make them as bright, detailed and clear as possible. Get them from "TweakGeeks.com" - great cables at a bargain price.

The Solo is a "fantastic" amp - none better with the HD580/600s (likely the same with the HD650s). It has a very detailed sound, with a bit of a "tube-like" quality, which is... "fantastic!"

May 5, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nettuno65 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your suggestions, I guess they are all about interconnect cables to use be used between the cdp and the Solo.

My questions is about which cable can replace the Sennheiser stock cable to make the HD650 faster and brighter with the Solo (if this possible...)
I already have the Cardas and I wonder if another cable can give me more in this direction, perhaps a silver cable?
Does it exist for the HD650?

Thanks again

Antonio

Antonio,

These are all headphone cables....not interconnects... I've ordered a RAL cable last week. Brad, told me 2 weeks, so I'm waiting......

Before, anyone jumps in; Yes i've read the posts on RAL, but I still put my money down...
eek.gif

Foolish? Time will tell.
tongue.gif

May 5, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why make bright something that isn't supposed to be it? It's absolutely not a high-endish approach.

Changing a cable is a just way of looking for a fine tuning, sometimes useful to find the right synergy.

May 5, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 19
nettuno,

Have you heard an HD600/580? Just wondering . . . because you and I seem to be stuck at about the same point with the 650. I'd like it brighter, too, but don't want to go the cable route, as QQQ doesn't either, apparently.

Let us know what you do . . . and how it sounds/turns out.

God, I wish they'd come up with an HD800, with the refinement of the 650 and the sound signature of the more neutral 600.
wink.gif

May 5, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Antonio,

These are all headphone cables....not interconnects... I've ordered a RAL cable last week. Brad, told me 2 weeks, so I'm waiting......

Before, anyone jumps in; Yes i've read the posts on RAL, but I still put my money down...
eek.gif

Foolish? Time will tell.
tongue.gif

Hey... should be no problem. But... sometimes you have to wait a few weeks for Brad "to get to it." But... you should eventually receive your cable... after a few promises. It's a great cable for the HD650s!

Future reference for others: If you buy a cable from RAL... suggest to Brad that you pay a deposit at the time you place your order, and the balance when he sends you an assigned tracking number, or package number, and is ready to "hand it to UPS." He'll likely do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back