HD650 dilemma
Apr 5, 2013 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Soulrave

New Head-Fier
Hi! I currently have a HD650 plugged to a Xonar STX. I am thinking of selling these and going for Q701.

I mostly listen to Electronica/EDM/Trance some pop and a few classicals depending on mood.

I also use these cans for gaming(not competitive) and using the dolby settings of the STX. This is where I started to think about the Q701, I find the soundstage of the 650 a bit lacking, everything sounds really close and its so hard to distinguish sounds coming from front or back  and based on reviews on this site, most are saying that the Q701's soundstage is really huge. I use the phones more on gaming than on listening, like 60% of the time it is used for games.

(Yes I know the 650s aren't really for gaming, my bad for doubting myself and thinking it would suffice both my gaming and listening needs.)

I like the sound signature of both actually, but I only got a limited amount of testing the Q701. I'm not a basshead but I like a tad bit of rumble and good detail on my lows. I'm a bit sensitive to sibilance, when I heard the dt990 I almost cried because the highs really hurt my heart 
tongue.gif

So what do you guys think, should I let go of the 650 and go for the q701? or would the trade-off for more soundstage vs sound quality/detail that big?

I'm open to suggestions regarding on the gear used with these phones, like grabbing a new dac/amp combo that might improve these cans. But as much as possible I want to stick with these 2 models of phones ( because they are easily available in my country )

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The xonar Stx cannot power either of those cans properly.....sorry

Hence 

I'm open to suggestions regarding on the gear used with these phones, like grabbing a new dac/amp combo that might improve these cans. But as much as possible I want to stick with these 2 models of phones ( because they are easily available in my country )

Apr 6, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #7 of 8
In terms of soundstage the Q701 is certainly a good choice. I can't think of any other model in it's pricerange that has a stage that's equally huge.
If you've listenend to them and like it's sound then you can't go wrong with them. They are certainly good phones.
I don't know how rhey are suited for gaming though, and for me the headband and earcups where quite uncomfortable which stopped me from buying them. So check if they're comfy for you before buying

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
In terms of soundstage the Q701 is certainly a good choice. I can't think of any other model in it's pricerange that has a stage that's equally huge.
If you've listenend to them and like it's sound then you can't go wrong with them. They are certainly good phones.
I don't know how rhey are suited for gaming though, and for me the headband and earcups where quite uncomfortable which stopped me from buying them. So check if they're comfy for you before buying

They were comfortable when I tried it but only for like 10 minutes, will audition it sometime again and put it in my head for more this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back