HD650 Comfort Issues, Where to next?
Aug 12, 2006 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Nick S

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I purchased these headphones around 3 weeks ago upgrading from MS-1's. Im finding them unpleasant to wear. I have a problem with my jaw muscles (TMJ) and they clamp directly on top of the problem area causing inflamation/pain. I've bent the headband out a bit which has helped, but my jaw muscles still ache after small sessions. Big difference from my MS-1's which I can hardly tell are on my head!

As much as I dont want to, I think i'll have to sell them, but don't really want to go back to my MS-1's now.... lol, The HD650 with my pa2v2 (which isn't a good match, I know) sounds sooo much better than my MS-1's.

I'm thinking of purchasing something more comfortable, Higher end Grado's perhaps? I'd like to, but i'm not really a fan of bright headphones as I recently had an incident with a loud gun that left me with low level tinnitus and hearing loss over 13khz in my left ear. My MS-1's with comfy pads are borderline too bright for me.

I was thinking the DT 880's perhaps? How are these comfort wise? Judging from pictures, the material used on the ear cups looks far more comfortable than the HD650's, which are fairly hard and rough. Any other suggestions welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
580smile.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 18
I have the "same" problem, I upgraded from the HD575, ears ringing(tinnitus or something?) all the time, sometimes a bit of headache
frown.gif
, I can't afford buying new headphones tho. Wasted my summer job money on these (and to x-canv3/e-mu1212m)
smily_headphones1.gif
Is there anything that can be done, like replacing the earpads ?

Aug 12, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 18
having owned a well-broken-in pair of HD600 I can attest that in my experience they do ease up quite a bit, becomming extremely comfortable.
I was able to wear them for many hours without any discomfort whatsoever.
That is the one area where I favor the HD600 over my new K701 . . . so far.

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 18
I have some slight problems with TMJ. I tried on my 580s and can see what you mean. They put pressure on exactly the wrong area. In fact, I think I use them infrequently because of this; they don't cause me any pain, but I think having any pressure there at all reminds me of TMJ discomfort, I'm the third owner, but they look and feel like they've seen almost no use, so I have no idea about them relaxing with time. I also have 880s. They have a light, comfortable grip, and do not aggravate the area in question at all. The pads are also considerably softer than the 580 pads.

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 18
Second that.
I have a fairly big head and the DT880s are the most comfy headphones i've tried by far. I spend hours at work with them and i experience no fatigue at all.
I guess the same then applies to the 770s and 990s as they share the same construction and pads.

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 18
I have a pair of DT880s and can attest to their comfort. I can wear these things all day any my only problem is that I might forget they are on.

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick S
Hello,

I purchased these headphones around 3 weeks ago upgrading from MS-1's. Im finding them unpleasant to wear. I have a problem with my jaw muscles (TMJ) and they clamp directly on top of the problem area causing inflamation/pain. I've bent the headband out a bit which has helped, but my jaw muscles still ache after small sessions. Big difference from my MS-1's which I can hardly tell are on my head!

As much as I dont want to, I think i'll have to sell them, but don't really want to go back to my MS-1's now.... lol, The HD650 with my pa2v2 (which isn't a good match, I know) sounds sooo much better than my MS-1's.

I'm thinking of purchasing something more comfortable, Higher end Grado's perhaps? I'd like to, but i'm not really a fan of bright headphones as I recently had an incident with a loud gun that left me with low level tinnitus and hearing loss over 13khz in my left ear. My MS-1's with comfy pads are borderline too bright for me.

I was thinking the DT 880's perhaps? How are these comfort wise? Judging from pictures, the material used on the ear cups looks far more comfortable than the HD650's, which are fairly hard and rough. Any other suggestions welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
580smile.gif

People have pointed out all the obvious things. On top of that, the bads DO soften up considerably over time, so between the stretched headband and softened pads, they will exert much less pressure.

Place something between them that will both stretch out the headband AND place pressure on the earpads to compress them a bit. You can also take them off and ply them in your hands to soften them up.

I strongly recommend you try all of these things - they will not devalue the headphones unless you go completely overboard and damage them - before you sell them. At least that way you won't keep having that itch that you didn't give them a chance, and will keep wanting to go back to them...

Aug 12, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans
having owned a well-broken-in pair of HD600 I can attest that in my experience they do ease up quite a bit, becomming extremely comfortable.
I was able to wear them for many hours without any discomfort whatsoever.
That is the one area where I favor the HD600 over my new K701 . . . so far.

Strange. I have bent these HD600's out quite a bit, and they still are not as comfy as my K601. There is something about the shape of the HD600 being more narrow than the K601. Even with good bending of the metal 'bands' and then the top part of the headband, the clamping force still presents itself.

I agree with the original poster about comfort. My old HF-1 (sold) with flats were more comfortable than this HD600. My K601's are better than both.

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 18
I have my 650's for about 4 month's now and it has really become softer on my head.

Just wait!
600smile.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
Strange. I have bent these HD600's out quite a bit, and they still are not as comfy as my K601. There is something about the shape of the HD600 being more narrow than the K601. Even with good bending of the metal 'bands' and then the top part of the headband, the clamping force still presents itself.

I agree with the original poster about comfort. My old HF-1 (sold) with flats were more comfortable than this HD600. My K601's are better than both.

I find that the K701 having ROUND pads as compared to the Senn's OVAL pads makes more of a difference than anything as it effects the location of the pressure.
In my case, the K701 makes my jaw feel like I have held it clenched for too long . . . fatigued & achey, I assume similar to what the OP speaks of.
frown.gif

The HD600 did NOT do this.
blink.gif

To me, the K701 sounds better.
plainface.gif
\
Hopefully in time this will alleviate itself.

Apparently in headphones, as in glamour, comfort is secondary.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #12 of 18
I've got the 580s, and I sometimes get the headband adjusted to my liking, and then I put on a ballcap. This relieves any pressure there is, and it is very comfortable for me!

Aug 12, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 18
As said while not wearing them keeping them between books that are at least 1" wider than your head. This will reduce the side pressure and soften the pads. A broken in Senn 650 is more comfortable than the Beyer 880 who's driver touches my ears lightly. Try to wear them low too. You should just feel the tops of the pads on your ear. That centres the driver and drops the pad below your jaw.

The big thing is the softening of the pads though. They will become pillow soft over time. They start off like rocks though, go figure.

Aug 12, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 18
Ok thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll keep them a bit longer and see how things go. I've noticed an improvement by exending the headband out as far as possible, then bending out the steel part near the cups. I'll try the book technique to soften the pads.

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 18
With some guidance from 1Time Topic I was able to reduce some pressure.
But listening with HD650 for more than 2 hours, my ears are getting hot and its displeasing
frown.gif

I was wondering between Beyerdynamic's DT880 / DT990 / Tesla1 or Senn's HD800 for more comfort.
As I've read, the major (well maybe a little bit less) of head-fi society recommends Beyer's headphones as for one of the most comfortable headphones on market.

Can anyone tell me, if that is true, that DT880/DT990 are more comfy than HD650, and can be on your head for as long user wishes ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back