HD650 clamping force
Jun 3, 2007 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Quixizous

Head-Fier
Hey All,

This is first post on Head-Fi, so bear with me.
eggosmile.gif
Just got a brand spanking new set of HD650's and, jeez, there's some very noticeable pressure on my head. Do they break in? Or will they always be this noticeable while I'm wearing them? I'd hate think I'll spend less time using reference grade headphones just because of the comfort level.

P.S. I've read the AKG701's are really comfy. True?

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 9
The K701 and 650 comfort level is very debatable. For me, the K701 has no clamping force whatsoever and always slid off my head. The 650 is perfect for me, but then again, I was trying out a 650 that was very worn-in.

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 9
Here was what another Head-fier recommended to me which worked amazing. Take a few old VHS tapes (if you have them) or books and put them between the headband with the ear pieces completely extended. I used CD cases to extend them out just a little further. This should be roughly as wide as your head. Leave the headphone on this for a couple of days during the times you are not using them. It took two days for mine and they are perfect now. Do not try to stretch them by hand or you can break the headband (like I did on my first pair) which is an expensive piece if Senn doesn't replace it for free.

Good luck!
600smile.gif

Jun 3, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 9
I never had a real problem with mine but then I wasn't reading HeadFi at the time. Mine are very comfortable now. Sometimes they could actually be a little tighter so they will form to your head. Just don't forget they are there and jerk all your equipment onto the floor or rip the wires out of the headphones, though at least they are meant to be taken out. Of course I have never done this.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 9
I honestly don't see what all the commotion is about 'vice grip of death' of the HD650. I bought mine new from eBay a few years ago and always thought they were so ridiculously comfortable compared to anything else I have ever had.
And I have a huge head, lol. I guess if your used to nothing at all, then these are tight, but by no means do they pinch. I do however feel that they can make your ears and surrounding area a bit warm at times, especially in the summer.

Jun 3, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here was what another Head-fier recommended to me which worked amazing. Take a few old VHS tapes (if you have them) or books and put them between the headband with the ear pieces completely extended. I used CD cases to extend them out just a little further. This should be roughly as wide as your head. Leave the headphone on this for a couple of days during the times you are not using them. It took two days for mine and they are perfect now. Do not try to stretch them by hand or you can break the headband (like I did on my first pair) which is an expensive piece if Senn doesn't replace it for free.

Along similar lines, I leave the 650 on the glass head in my avatar. Does the same thing -- loosens the pinch to a comfortable level. I tend to like my fit looser than tighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back