HD650 chipping, should I take it all off?
Sep 17, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 21
confused.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 21
ooohh, would it be possible to get them repainted with some automotive paint? put primer on and without the drivers and headband pads get them repainted? that would be a cool DIY project - don't know if it's possible to do though.
or does sennheiser offer some kind of touch up paint?

Sep 17, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 21
hmmm, what is the entire body made of? plastic? if so rubbing alcohol wont help get it off. just sand it off, but take out like the pads and drivers first (if possible), then use an airbrush or spraypaint, dont brush unless u want to do some detail after or something. then prime it and make it all shiny. youd have the most unique HD650's if you put your sig on the headband. if the headband pads dont come off, put a piece of plastic on it with some paint tape.

ive never done this so dont take my suggestion too seriously

Sep 17, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I sent mine back to Sennheiser and they replaced it for free.

Iron_Dreamer, I haven't had that problem.......yet.

Who did you talk to, or how did you make arrangements for that to be done, and how long did it take?

Sep 17, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 21
Call Sennheiser,
Mine were chipping and they sent me a new part for free.
Apparently they had a problem with a batch of them because my replacement is just fine with no chipping.
TR

Sep 17, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 21
carbon fiber is hard to keep paint on. it takes extensive sanding to smooth it out and let the paint settle better. that why no one pays to get carbon fiber hoods to be painted cuz labour would be crazy lol.

Sep 17, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG

Who did you talk to, or how did you make arrangements for that to be done, and how long did it take?

I sent my HD-600's back to Senn UK Rick and they replaced the headband but the Tech guy (who I know very well and trust) reckons it's inevitable for the paint to flake off on the "sides" of the headband... more so if you have a [size=medium]large[/size] head or [size=medium]use[/size] the 'phones a lot (constant flexing of the headband when putting the phones on your head / taking them off etc).... The paint won't flake off the actual wide part of the headband just the sides. He also reckoned that if you sweat excessively this could also speed up the flaking process.

6 weeks after my headband was replaced the paint and lacquer on the sides of the headband started flaking off again so It's just one of those things that happens and there is no way they can prevent it from happening, It's just part and parcel of the headband and only affects the sides and not the wide part of the band. I now think it gives the 'phones character and "patina" and it at least confirms that these headbands are sprayed with paint (by hand) and not just some el cheapo multicoloured plastic.

Turnaround was about 7 days for me Rick.. sent the phones back as the R/H connector was playing up and asked them to have a look at the headband whilst they were at it... spoke to John Lomax (Senn technician UK), whilst they were in for repair, and he said he'd make sure they'd fit a new headband while they were repairing the connectors. He reckoned the same thing would probably happen again due to the nature / properties of the paint but assured me this flaking is perfectly normal on the sides of the headband and would not migrate to the top (widest part) of the headband.

Hope this helps.

Mike.

Edit: Small pics of the replacement headband that started to flake again after 6 weeks:

attachment.php

The flaking paint on the sides of the headband mainly occurs at the centre of the headband where most flexing occurs

attachment.php

The edges nearest to the earcups are not usually affected as no real flexing occurs at these points

attachment.php

The top (widest part) of the headband is not usually affected

Sep 17, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venro
my HD650's paint is chipping like crazy. Who here has tried to scrape it all off? I'm thinking a matte black finish would look good on the Senns.

Don't "scrape" it off
eek.gif
. Sand the edges down with some sandpaper, prepare the existing paint (widest part of the headband) with some 800 / 1200 grade sandpaper (enough to remove the sennheiser logo) and then respray with a matt black acrylic paint (semi sheen would probably be better). I haven't tried removing the paint but I'd reckon you'd probably find it a lot easier just to spray the band with your chosen colour, It's easy to remove the band and the foam padding so you don't even have to mask off the rest of the 'phones.

Thinners would obviously remove the paint but god only knows what it would do to the plastic headband..... I, for one, will not be experimenting
tongue.gif

If you do scrape it off / paint it or whatever let us know how you get on
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2005 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 21
About an inch of the paint on the back side of my HD650 headband chipped off within a week of me getting it. I have had them since 12/04 and no more has chipped off. It isn't really a problem, but it is something that has bothered me from the start.

Sep 17, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickG

Just called the main U.S. customer service number, spoke to an old lady, and got my cans back in about two weeks after I shipped them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back