HD650 Cable: 1/4 to 1/8 mod, can I do it?
Mar 9, 2006 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

coco

100+ Head-Fier
My Headphone journey continues with the Senn 650s! They are on the way from Cali thanks to a deal with rhythmdevils. I use an amp/ipod set-up, the problem is I really can't handle the 1/4 plug with the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter. Too much cable, I've got to travel light! I have a good mini to mini in my stash somewhere, my question is should I even attempt to cut off the end of the stock cable and replace it with the 1/8 tip? In answer to your first question, yes I have soldered before. But I do not claim to be adept with the iron. How do I do it? How do I tell what wires are what? I have a post-graduate degree... how hard can it be...?

Pics?

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 7
You probably can but it would be more hassle than it's worth, is yours coming with the Sennheiser flexible 1/4 to 1/8 adapter if it is it might be easier to just use that, it's pretty short and doesn't add much bulk to your setup.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 7
Order the 580 cable from Sennheiser. It terminates to 1/8" with an adaptor up to 1/4" The 650 cable is better, but you can just use the 580 cable when traveling.

Mar 9, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 7
Not difficult at all. The hardest part would be setting up strain relief for the cable. Its pretty thick to fit into a 1/8" connector, but not impossible. Depends on your connector too.

The Senn cables have a coating on the wire that should be melted before soldering. Touching your soldering iron to them will melt it. Wipe off and tin the ends.

When you cut the cable, you'll find 4 strands. The 2 copper colored strands are ground. The red strand is right signal, and the green strand is left signal.

The left signal (green) goes to the tip of plug. Right signal (red) to the ring. And both ground (copper) goes to the sleeve.

Should take just a few minutes.

Mar 9, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 7
One thing to be considered is the kevlar fibres integrated in the conductor strands. They have to be separated and cut off (not easy to do and a bit time consuming) to allow the tin-solder to adequately flow onto the wires.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 7
So that's what that little white string is. I've always thought Kevlar was naturally yellow in color.

Haven't tried cutting the little string, but from my old days of CC/kevlar chassis building, kevlar is best cut with specialized tools. A sharp hobby knife, cutting one stand at a time works okay, and the worst is just nawling at it with sissors.

For the urthaned wires, make sure you actually melt off the urthane. I usualy leave it on till the urthane is bubbling then wipe off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back