hd650 burn in = Bass monster
Jan 8, 2006 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
Burn in helps mwahahahaa...

Its a real different sound then Im used to with my modded hd600s which are more neutral.

When I first got the 650s, they were somewhat thin and slightly scratchy sounding.

plugged them into my receiver for about 3 days straight non-stop on the local hip hop station and increasing the bass max EQ, and at above tolerable listening levels.

put them on for the first time today, and
basshead.gif

these things are super bass monsters. Makes everything so... BASSY..

bass bass bass,.. bass is everywhere.

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

650s definately benefit from break in.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 18
these were ordered a while back for testing the GFT as curiosity has gotten to me, but something went awry and I thought Id never see them. I had a dispute filed, Then they showed up out of no where 3 weeks later, so I cancelled the dispute, and these have been sitting around until just recently I found the time to plug them in. I felt a need to hear what people were telling me, since I only had the 580 and 600s for testing.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #4 of 18
The HD650's bass quantity seems highly dependant upon the amplifier used. I've heard it sound pretty insanely strong and powerful, and I've also heard it sound pretty tight and lean. If you're using an amp made by Ray it might stand that the HD650s will lean more towards being overstrong and powerful, as I think he primarily uses the HD600s to tune his amps (and there is a pretty big difference in bass response between these two 'phones). His recent capacitor change upgrade for the Raptor for instance turns the HD650s into absolute bass monsters, but I think it it would've been fine for the HD600s. I certainly couldn't withstand the amount of bass pouring out of the "upgraded" Raptor.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #5 of 18
nah I was using the micro amp with the crossfeed on
smily_headphones1.gif

maybe I just need to get used to the sound, the woodied 600s sound more spacious and neutral distant and non intrusive, while the 650s are ((bass)) and seem to exhibit a thicker wall of sound.

I might need to burn them in more maybe?

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 18
Headroom's amps tend to be kinda bassy too, particularly with the crossfeed engaged...
eek.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
put them on for the first time today, and
basshead.gif

these things are super bass monsters. Makes everything so... BASSY..

And this is a good thing?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
rolleyes.gif

maybe, dont know, Im not used to the new sound. Its too early to tell. I can however picture using the 650s with a faster amp. It could just be that I am too used to the woodied sound.

If I add the Micro dac to the chain, it should even out. The micro dac is pretty detailed and fast.

Jan 8, 2006 at 9:29 AM Post #10 of 18
Were you listening out of the receiver, or just using it for burn-in? All higher impedance jacks will sound bassy with Senns (but you probably knew that...).

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
rolleyes.gif

Of course it is! There's nothing wrong with having gobs of bass as long as the quality's good. Of course I do believe the PS-1 Pro has an ideal amount of bass so take that for what it's worth.

On a sidenote, does anyone else besides me dislike super-tight super-fast bass with no weight & decay? Examples would include the HP-1000 paired up with a Gilmore Lite or other similar amp or the SA5000 paired up with any amp.

Jan 8, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 18
RnB180...

...I went through the same break-in process, and my HD 650 began to lose its bass dominance again after about 80 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back