HD650 Appreciation
Feb 20, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me who always finds it strangely depressing to read the posts of hardcore skeptics? Everything is known, everything is predictable, everything is measurable... anything/everything we don't understand (yet) constitutes overactive imagination, witchcraft or outright deception.

Somehow this attitude both depresses me and makes me feel bad for the person who holds it at the same time. It's purely anti-science as well, because science requires an open mind and the willingness to discover.

Preach!

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #62 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjackson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are about a million of these threads, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents to them.

These are the first cans I've tried where I haven't had to EQ down the treble (on most albums). I have always hated how obnoxious and loud the highs are on most all cans I've tried (esp. Grados). This could be a combination of many things, bad recordings, my young ears (20 years and counting), and my general tastes, but what many refer to as dark or veiled I see as "listenable for more than 5 minutes".

On well recorded music (Telarc/Chesky are the two studios I've listened to in this category on these cans), I sometimes wish for a bit more treble, but I find it to be a very listenable and the midrange is superb, along with bass response.

On poorly recorded music (Everything else), well, they sound like everything else. I've noticed that most every high end piece of equipment sounds the same (quality, not signature wise) with Greenday
wink.gif

I've found they have the perfect amount of bass for me. The DT770s I love for their bass response, but I couldn't tolerate it for a long time.

Just another opinion.

I agree with OP. Love HD650 with most of my music, it has the perfect amount of bass, beautiful mids and refined highs that are never fatiguing. I can listen to several albums and different types of music without feeling like a need a break and even at low volumes I can hear all the music.
Maybe there are better headphones out there, but so far this is the best all 'rounder that does a lot of things right for me.
Since I listen to a wide variety of music I would need several other sets to replace them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll contribute.

I use my HD650 for nearly everything, from classical to adult contemporary alt-pop to classic rock to melodic death metal. It's the most universally capable can I've ever owned, and the only contender for "best open headphone" for me is the DT-880 (though the K701 is an excellent headphone as well). Love, love, love this headphone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-Audio Revo 5.1 headphone DAC, volume control to 9/10 (minimal distortion even at 10/10, but 9/10 is well within tolerances) --> plugged in PA2V2 to minimize voltage dropoff (clipping becomes mildly noticable past 9 o'clock, but it never has to get past about 7 o'clock with my setup to start really hurting my ears; the Sennheisers are great in that they're both high impedance and yet very sensitive) --> Sennheiser HD650, stock cable.

I don't find it boring at all, as long as the production job was adequate. For example, Opeth's first three albums, poorly produced, sound passable - but it's only a passable production and mastering job. Everything from Still Life to Ghost Reveries, though, sound fantastic - and they're fantastically produced.

Similarly, Agalloch sounds awesome, but they're very well recorded and produced, whereas Nevermore's pre-Sneep albums sound rather like ass, being poorly produced.

I've found the HD650 to be unforgiving to bad production jobs more than any other headphone I've ever used except the DT-880; Grados liven up even poor mixes and make them wonderfully listenable, and the HD595 and A900 both benefit from a great soundstage and heavy mids with enough treble for detail but not overbearingly so, making them forgiving too. The Sennheiser HD650 has their EQ curve at the points where a ****** production job will really screw up a mix: the midbass and mids, where most instruments in Western music find their fundamental frequencies, and the particular section of the mid-to-upper treble in which most sibilant and percussive sounds give definition to sounds.

I guess I'm not the only unconventional person who enjoys HD650 with metal. Well produced metal sounds absolutely beautiful on this phone, especially if the music calls for a big soundstage, deep bass for effect and accoustic guitars mixed with electric. The slight mid-bass hump makes voices sound deeper and come out with emotion, and rythm guitars are thick and chunky, This is not boring to me! this is actually very moving, well, if you're into that sort of stuff.
wink.gif

Of course there's metal that sounds great on Grados and speakers, but don't discount using these Senns for metal just because they're supposed to be boring, let your ears decide, you may be surprised.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #63 of 71
650s are my techno cans now, the 580s do rock and pop much better imo. Best bass cans Ive owned yet are the 650s though. About every other day I listen to thriller album on the 650s, brilliant.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with OP. Love HD650 with most of my music, it has the perfect amount of bass, beautiful mids and refined highs that are never fatiguing. I can listen to several albums and different types of music without feeling like a need a break and even at low volumes I can hear all the music.
Maybe there are better headphones out there, but so far this is the best all 'rounder that does a lot of things right for me.
Since I listen to a wide variety of music I would need several other sets to replace them.

I guess I'm not the only unconventional person who enjoys HD650 with metal. Well produced metal sounds absolutely beautiful on this phone, especially if the music calls for a big soundstage, deep bass for effect and accoustic guitars mixed with electric. The slight mid-bass hump makes voices sound deeper and come out with emotion, and rythm guitars are thick and chunky, This is not boring to me! this is actually very moving, well, if you're into that sort of stuff.
wink.gif

Of course there's metal that sounds great on Grados and speakers, but don't discount using these Senns for metal just because they're supposed to be boring, let your ears decide, you may be surprised.

When I listen to metal on the 650s it sounds forced out of a small hole, or something. The opening shout on "can I play with madness" reminded me of a brass section, through 580s the voices sounded much more natural. Having 580s and 650s is like having different eq settings.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #65 of 71
I laugh when I hear people say it has "slow" bass. To my ears, these are perfect for trance, electronica, ambient, etc. They have a real nice balanced sound that offers great bass quality yet it has a buttery-smooth, non-fatiguing sound spectrum. These are very versatile too. Makes movies and games sound amazing.

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #66 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solid Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I laugh when I hear people say it has "slow" bass. To my ears, these are perfect for trance, electronica, ambient, etc. They have a real nice balanced sound that offers great bass quality yet it has a buttery-smooth, non-fatiguing sound spectrum. These are very versatile too. Makes movies and games sound amazing.

I think when people say they are slow they are really talking about the amp they are using. Maybe the impedance has something to do with it?

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I listen to metal on the 650s it sounds forced out of a small hole, or something. The opening shout on "can I play with madness" reminded me of a brass section, through 580s the voices sounded much more natural. Having 580s and 650s is like having different eq settings.

What? Forced out of a small hole? Sorry I don’t hear this at all, and now I wish I had a 580 to compare.

I haven’t listened to that album in a long time, but I listened to “Hallowed be thy name” a few days ago and his voice sounded just fine. It would have bothered me a lot otherwise because Dickinson is one of my favorite vocalists.
I’ll listen to that song this weekend and see what it sounds like, but I doubt it will remind me of a brass section. Just a few days ago I specifically noted how full and natural male voices are on 650, sorry I don’t think we’re hearing the same thing.

I'll get a copy of Thriller, sounds like fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #69 of 71
Very much enjoying my new HD650 right now. Especially with jazz and vocals. Much more revealing and detailed than I thought it was going to be.

Feb 22, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #70 of 71
I love mine. Currently tripping out to "From Here We Go Sublime" by The Field. Also, never heard Radiohead sound so good. Also, never heard Yo-Yo Ma sound so good. Also...

However, I am a little disappointed that with some of the harder rock I listen to (AC/DC, Tool, etc) they're quite muddled. Removing the foam helps somewhat but some other aspects of the sound are worse. I'll try a thinner screen too. Maybe it'll be better with my Caliente. I'm looking at getting some SR225s or something to fill that gap.

Mar 7, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #71 of 71
I have a question for anyone that have had the Ultrasone PRO 900. As for the overall presentation is it darker or brighter for 600/650 compared to the PRO 900. Would help me to pick my poison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back