HD650 Appreciation
Dec 21, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #46 of 71
Well I moved from a Beyer 880 to a Senn 650 when my system was:

Emu 1212m > Glass Toslink > MF A324 > HT Pro Silway MKIII > RudiStor RP5.1

I jumped way too fast and pretty much because despite tubes in the chain, some material was bright on the Beyer. But today I have my current sig, though currently use the stock cable, and my new pair of Beyer 880 are waiting for me at the post office right now! Will I come to the same conclusion this time around after proper comparison? Stay tuned
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #47 of 71
After several years of Grados (sr60, sr225 and now still own the Alessandro MS-2 [original model]) - which I love for their own sound signature (I haven't gotten rid of the MS-2 yet) - I finally picked up my HD650, which I now use with a Cardas aftermarket cable.

I love the 650 and like some have posted here, find they are delicious and fun to listen to across genres. They also pair well with my Gilmore Lite with Dedicated Power Supply, which has a very non-warm/neutral sound.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #48 of 71
HD650 is a wonderful phone, but it does require somewhat speedy electronics to drive it. Pair it up with a smooth source/amplifier/cables and then you'll seriously fall to sleep. That said I really enjoy them for rock (or anything else)

And cables do indeed make a difference but I have no idea why. I mean..it's obvious that cables for sennheiser phones make them sound different. It is not placebo. If someone would try, he would notice immediately the difference between a headphile cable and the stock.

That said, I preder the stock cable to the headphile.

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #49 of 71
Among the phones I've owned (with the possible exception of the K701s as I never tested), the Senns seemed the most EQable/sonically tweakable. Also crossfeed is less necessary to get a decent (at least horizontal) soundstage compared to some other phones, Another two things to like about the Senns.

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #50 of 71
I agree that you need to pair up the HD-650's with a speedy/punchy source/amp. My EMU and Gilmore Lite synergize very well with my HD-650's.

With that said, the HD-650's are wonderful. Ive sold them off once, and regretted that decision right after..so i bought the pair i have now, and have had them for quite a while. The sound is very smooth and relaxing, along with having a very natural feeling with it. The bass is the best ive heard among all the phones ive tried. Just a warm, sweet, pleasing headphone..perfect for bedtime listening
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #53 of 71
I sold my first pair of HD-650's for some Sony CD3000's. Bad mistake. Although I appreciated what they did well, particularly imaging and dynamics, I could not tolerate their extreme brightness. I got rid of the Sony's, and reunited with the 650's. Then I got a Zu Mobius cable, and the rest is pure audio nirvana =)

Dec 22, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #54 of 71
someday i'll meet a zu mobius or equinox and i'll never want to live without it.

until then: AV-710/NW-HD5> Skyblue mini> PV2^2> HD-650.. haaaa

Jan 1, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #55 of 71
Quick question on the HD650s - do they come in different colours? From the photos I've seen, some look black and some grey.

Jan 1, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by wush
Quick question on the HD650s - do they come in different colours? From the photos I've seen, some look black and some grey.

It's grey. Not light grey, either, but dark grey, like gunmetal.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #58 of 71
What is the best deal for a new HD650 (with warranty) currently? JR Music is selling them for $320 shipped, together with 6% Live cashback that is about $300 shipped.

I am considering whether to get a pair of HD650 or a pir of IE8. Obviously they are for different purpose, and it is very likely that I will end up buying both of them... in a few months...

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #59 of 71
Long live resurrection of old threads!!!

Feb 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by moj0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
someday i'll meet a zu mobius or equinox and i'll never want to live without it.

until then: AV-710/NW-HD5> Skyblue mini> PV2^2> HD-650.. haaaa

Yes you will!
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back