HD650 and Hornet question(s)
Jun 5, 2007 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
During my time at Head-fi, I have learned a couple of things. One of them being that I'm, for the most part, a speaker person. From what I can tell, the HD650s seem to fit that bill nicely, and would be wonderful for times when I have to be somewhat quiet (night, being the most obvious). That leads me to my next question:

Will the Hornet sound bad with the 650s just because Ray built it around the 600? I can't afford to buy another amp for a loooong time. I want to try both headphones so badly, but I don't have those kinds of funds. The 650s sound the best to me by description, because I'm sure they still have very nice and apparent details. The details + the "coloration" that the 650s have sound perfect, but if the Hornet + HD600s achieves a similar sound signature then I'd be in business that way.

Sorry, I have a tendency to make basically a one sentence question a 2 paragraph post
tongue.gif

Advice is most appreciated!

PS - If anyone has heard an Oritek modded Zhaolu with the hd650 that would be very valued imput as well!

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 22
I've used both the HD600 and the HD650 extensively with the original Hornet, not the M version. I think that all new Hornets are M version by default, but I'm not sure.

The HD650/Hornet combination has too much bass. Listening to it is like drowning in chocolate - it's way too much of a good thing. The coloration is quite lovely, very rich and creamy, but it's really overpowering. The HD600/Hornet combination sounds a lot more balanced. You still have the warmth and tube-like character of the Hornet, and you have some of the excellent tonal balance of the HD600. Detail in both cases isn't this combination's strong suit, and the soundstage is pretty small and snug. However, impact and dynamics are top notch for a portable amp, and everything sounds more lively and forward, which I like.

However, the M Hornet is said to have a colder tonal balance with better instrument separation and detail. This will make the HD650 sound more balanced, and may make the HD600 sound boring.

For the original Hornet, I'd suggest the HD600. For an M version, I'm not sure.

[Edit: I'm not surprised that Ray voices his amps for the HD600, since it's the most tonally balanced headphone I've ever heard. The HD650, on the other hand... well, we've been over this already]

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 22
FWIW, I am using a Hornet M (recently modified from original version) and HD600. The 'M' version is indeed more balanced and open sounding. I like it with the HD-600.

Jun 5, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 22
Mine is the Hornet "M," so that's a bit reassuring about the HD650s. Any more opinions?

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 22
I have a newer Hornet, and I absolutely love it with my HD650's, but I've never heard the 600's. FWIW, I prefer the Hornet with my 650's, and my HR Micro Amp with my RS-1's, but frankly they both sound really good with either of those cans. I use the HR Micro DAC almost exclusively as a source with both of those setups.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 22
I am listening to my HD600's with my Hornet "M" right now. It's an awesome combo. I haven't heard the HD650's, so I can't help you there. I can tell you this... If you want to hear the bass that is in the recording, this combo is perfect. If you want added bass, then maybe the HD650's is a better choice, I don't know. I just know that I am not sitting here thinking, "Gee, I wish I had a little more bass."

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the Hornet sound bad with the 650s just because Ray built it around the 600? I can't afford to buy another amp for a loooong time. I want to try both headphones so badly, but I don't have those kinds of funds. The 650s sound the best to me by description, because I'm sure they still have very nice and apparent details. The details + the "coloration" that the 650s have sound perfect, but if the Hornet + HD600s achieves a similar sound signature then I'd be in business that way.

I have a Hornet M, and both the 600+cardas, and 650. They both sound great, but I am quite enamored with the 650 and have developed a strong preference with this combo for rock, indie rock, alternative, electronic in particular. They both sound great. But I find none of the bass-heaviness or coloration that others have reported with the 650. In general, for rock, I find them far more engaging and lively. 600s for me evoke a kind of authoritative quiet buttery sound that is also quite enjoyable to listen to...but I do hear more of the so-called veil, and find this a preferable sound for classical, jazz, acoustic music.

My $.02.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am listening to my HD600's with my Hornet "M" right now. It's an awesome combo. I haven't heard the HD650's, so I can't help you there. I can tell you this... If you want to hear the bass that is in the recording, this combo is perfect. If you want added bass, then maybe the HD650's is a better choice, I don't know. I just know that I am not sitting here thinking, "Gee, I wish I had a little more bass."

Ditto!
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #9 of 22
I have HD650/Cardas + Hornet M combo...it sounds terrific. I'd say the Hornet M pulls ~85-90% of what my Gilmore Lite LE does. The LE is clearly a better amp, but the Hornet M is no slouch.

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #10 of 22
HORNET = YUMMY!

Best of all words! IEMS, low impedence cans, high impedence cans!

It's a little dynamo!

Would be a very good all around choice with room to change or add.

And guess what? You will!
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 22
Haha, dang you guys...I'm going to end up with both cans at this rate
tongue.gif

My plans are finally starting to look like they're going to be worth the money spent. Can't wait to get the money up for the 650s....and then the 600 later. damnit.
biggrin.gif

edit: with some sort of upgraded silver or cardas cable, wouldn't the 650 become a little more like a refined HD600?

ps: if you have any bookshelf speaker recommendations, PM me please! I say pm 'cause I don't want to totally kill this topic with such off-subjectness.

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-fi!
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

...sorry about your wallet!
wink.gif

I run 650's with my hornet: bliss. Make sure your source is up to it (for eval mode; for listening to music, just forget em and grove out)

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #14 of 22
I too was curious about this.

only thing now is, I have the HD600s coming to me, and I've currently got the tomahawk
wink.gif
i plan to buy a Hornet or SR-71 in the future. but for now, my tomahawk is just lovely. I'm glad to see though that the hornet works very well with the HD600s, that's exciting news!

Jun 6, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agphoto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too was curious about this.

only thing now is, I have the HD600s coming to me, and I've currently got the tomahawk
wink.gif
i plan to buy a Hornet or SR-71 in the future. but for now, my tomahawk is just lovely. I'm glad to see though that the hornet works very well with the HD600s, that's exciting news!

Talk about a similar situation. I have the Tomahawk, with the Hornet to arrive on Friday! I can't wait to hear what it does to my HD600's vs the Tomahawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back