HD650 Amp for Music Production (Mixing), Not Listening Pleasure
Dec 16, 2010 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

benstat

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
My head is spinning. Been searching around the forums, and while there is no shortage of amp recommendations for the HD650, I can't find any recommendations that fit my specific needs.
I want a headphone amp to go with my HD650's that is as neutral/transparent as possible - one that won't 'colour' the source material to make it sound better. Obviously for mixing, I need to hear as true a representation of the source material as possible, even if it doesn't sound particularly good.

Thinking about the E9's, as I don't have a huge budget (the lower the better of course, but would maybe spend more for something a lot better). Read the review here, but it doesn't seem to be as neutral as I need though. Also considering the Pro-Ject Headbox II.

Also, I use a fairly basic USB audio interface, but it has a digitial out. Should I get an amp with a decent DAC in it too?
Any opinions would be gratefully recieved.
Many thanks!

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 5
i think you might be better served going with a closed-back headphone that has a flatter frequency response than the hd650.  a "studio monitor phone" if you will.
and something that doesn't require powerful dedicated amplification like the hd650.

the shure srh840 comes to mind.
it's a very flat sounding headphone (for better or for worse), and is quite easy to dive with just about any headphone jack out there...

and, i think it can be had for under $150...  which would financially compete with any decent amp you were hunting down for the hd650.

the only reason i say all this is because you may find yourself mixing things to your taste with the hd650, and then you hear it on a stereo and the treble will blast your ears.  that is because the hd650 has a rolled off treble...
and the opposite with the bass.  it is slightly pronounced on the hd650, so mixing to taste will result in bass-light recordings when played from other speakers...

Dec 16, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your advice TheWuss. Unfortunately it's a little late! I ordered the HD650's yesterday (hasn't arrived yet). I did this because I read a lot of music production sites that recommended it if you absolutely must mix on phones (I know it's not ideal). Here's a typical one if your're interested:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm

So I'm stuck with them for now! I'll try them out and see how they are compared to my trusty old (but failing) Fostex T40's.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benstat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thinking about the E9's, as I don't have a huge budget (the lower the better of course, but would maybe spend more for something a lot better). Read the review here, but it doesn't seem to be as neutral as I need though. Also considering the Pro-Ject Headbox II.

The reviews on here about the E9 have mostly focused on how neutral this amp is. What reviews did you read that described otherwise? Curious.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back