HD600 - weak bass?
Apr 14, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 45
Come to think of it, how does the HD600 bass compares to the K701?

It's been a while since I heard the HD600. I recall the HD650 being a bass monster but bass was not the thing I found the most memorable about the HD600.

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #22 of 45
IMO the HD580/600 does have weak sub-bass, but a slight midbass hump. They can definitely sound weak bass-wise if you're used to KSC-75/Portapro/V6 sort of headphones.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 45
I had the supermacro 3 > HD 600 for awhile and I felt the bass was decent. They were so neutral and lacking impact that I stayed with the Grados.
The highs were really nice and just right to me - very controlled.

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #24 of 45
I agree that with a replacement cable (either Cardas or Equinox, which I prefer), many of the veil problems go away.

I also agree about pairing these phones with the Cary 300SEI. However, if you can't afford the 300SEI, the Cary SLP-88 is a very viable alternative for a third of the price. I wrote a comparison review:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87005

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:42 AM Post #25 of 45
Woah lots of responses, didn't realise so many people were on this forum!

Some responses-

1. I'm driving them with a Marantz PM7200 amp, which is more than capable of shifting some power.

2. I came from a pair of HD500's - they had a bigger. boomier bass.

I find that if I turn the volume up quite high, the HD600's produce a fantastic sound and the bass does start to come out. But often I listen on a fairly low volume, and I think that's when I notice the bass feels weak.

Apr 15, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #26 of 45
I agree. The bass on hd580 is pretty weak. That is one of the reasons I went to the hd650. Unfortunately they did something to the treble and transient response making the hd650 seem slower and muddier. And the airy quality is gone.

Apr 15, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnycaff

Some responses-

1. I'm driving them with a Marantz PM7200 amp, which is more than capable of shifting some power.

I find that if I turn the volume up quite high, the HD600's produce a fantastic sound and the bass does start to come out. But often I listen on a fairly low volume, and I think that's when I notice the bass feels weak.

1) does that amp have a decent headphone-out? Yes the line-out is good, but how about the headphone out? My yamaha sounds great, but the Corda Aria is so much better for headphone listening.
2) Is the HD500 a bass-monster? I never heard that one, but switching from one headpone to another takes some getting used to if they differ alot. I thought I even heard a small difference between the hd580 jubilee and the hd600, but I can't remember what it was
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2006 at 3:01 PM Post #28 of 45
My HD600 has perfect bass in terms of quantity. One of the most balanced headphones I've ever had (on my setup). The HD650, for example, have in my rig a little too much bass, so I ended preferring the HD600 to them, accepting a bit of more "roughness" in the HD600 (compared to the HD650).

bye
Andrew

Apr 15, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #29 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by funnycaff

Some responses-

From what you say that different volume's give you a very different bass sound, I would imagine that it is your headphone jack on your amp. Maybe it'd be worth trying a different amp/source?

The HD600s have an impedence of 600ohms whereas most amps headphone jacks are designed to operate around the 32 to 50ohm mark. I got a Rega Ear (very good and comparively cheap headphone amp) for this exact reason. I wouldn't recommend spending lots of money however - especially not on cables etc. as these make very tiny differences and should be the final part of your setup.

Try it on a different source and see what you think. Then maybe take it to a store where you can try the Ear or another amp with mates well with your headphones.

Apr 15, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 45
As other folks have mentioned the whole equipment chain can make subtle and not so subtle differences in the sound coming out of your headphones. Source>amplifier>headphone cable>headphones.

In my experience you can fine tune sound with cables, but the source and amplfier can make the bigger differences.

I was almost in the HD-650 "too much bass" club until I got my musical equipment chain "improved" by reading Headfi. Until then I actually favored the HD-600 for the music I listen to because I felt the HD-650's bottom end was slightly too much. However, my current line-up of equipment seems pretty much in harmony with my musical tastes. The HD-650 is now my favored headphone. These forums are great guides, but your own taste is of course what you need to satisfy.

By the way I think the Zu headphone cable brings a little more to the table than the stock Sennheiser cable in the bass department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back