HD600 vs SR325is (please help)
Sep 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jTizMLG

100+ Head-Fier
I'm having trouble deciding between these 2.

I mostly listen to Rock and Rap and I hear Grados are great at these genres....would they be better then the HD600?

I'm going to be using these headphones with the magni/modi combo or the Audio-GD NFB-15.32

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 8
  I'm having trouble deciding between these 2.

I mostly listen to Rock and Rap and I hear Grados are great at these genres....would they be better then the HD600?

I'm going to be using these headphones with the magni/modi combo

I haven't heard them both, can just say the HD600's are amazing.

What is the rest of your setup?

Sep 8, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 8

I haven't heard them both, can just say the HD600's are amazing.

What is the rest of your setup?

Interestingly enough I just finished listening to those two headphones. I have the best of both worlds I guess. Given the setup you have I would go with the HD600's. The Grado's can be just a bit hot with a solid state setup as you have, they seem to prefer tubes, which is what I was listening to them on. With the right amp and dac though I prefer the Grado's for rock pretty much all the time. Don't second guess yourself if you get the HD600's though as they do a fine job on rock and an exceptional job on most everything else.Consider them a much more versatile headphone as they will give you all you paid for with just about any type of music and any recording of it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 8
In comparison the grados are more energetic and engaging whereas the senns sounded more laid back and relax. Both works well with rock and rap just different presentation but if you only listen to those genre I would put my money on the 325. The 600 is a better choice if you listen to a variety of music which is what I ended up with plus it scales better with better equipment.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 8
  Interestingly enough I just finished listening to those two headphones. I have the best of both worlds I guess. Given the setup you have I would go with the HD600's. The Grado's can be just a bit hot with a solid state setup as you have, they seem to prefer tubes, which is what I was listening to them on. With the right amp and dac though I prefer the Grado's for rock pretty much all the time. Don't second guess yourself if you get the HD600's though as they do a fine job on rock and an exceptional job on most everything else.Consider them a much more versatile headphone as they will give you all you paid for with just about any type of music and any recording of it.

What if i decide to get the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 instead of the magni/modi combo?

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #7 of 8
  What if i decide to get the Audio-GD NFB-15.32 instead of the magni/modi combo?

YES. Do it. It's a very good all-in-one and it honestly could scale with as high of a headphone as you choose to plug into it. Ignoring the uselessness of a 32-bit DAC, the reason AudioGD update their NFB series a lot is because they are and the lead engineer really does care about taking in feedback and putting out the most up to date package possible. I've seen them among noobs and I've seen AGD rigs with like $5000 rigs...

Err HD600 vs SR-blank has been an age-old argument. It will be really tough to decide. Basically do you want treble energy at the expense of being less than neutral and having slightly less quantity of bass, or do you want a more well-rounded package at the expense of possibly being less exciting?

I've owned both, still own HD600, but I've owned more Grados than any other headphone and even I would be split between the choice.

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 8
I had both and previous posters pretty much cover it.

325i for raw energy and excitement.  They are reasonably bright though (I liked the brightness - but also really enjoyed DT880, K701 etc)

HD600 very natural, more laid back - but very realistic, and probably more genre versatile.

Considering your concerns in other threads regarding possible brightness with an HD600 and M&M - then I'd be steering clear of the 325i if you are treble sensitive.

My advice - go HD600 + A-gd.  When you can afford it - either get an SR80i or Alessandro MS1i (both close to USD 100) - and that will give you a taste of what Grado can offer.  Then you have the best of both worlds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back