HD600 vs Mad Dogs (my first thread)
Jul 4, 2013 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fcbarcelona

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I discovered head fi a couple of month ago and right now I have an important decision to take so I would appreciate your inputs.

I owned some mid-price range headphones and I am looking to give a step further. My roomate owes my $300 and is offering me his Sennheiser HD 600 which are approx. 3 month old and are in excellent conditions so I am wondering if they are worth or I can get something better with that money. Most of what I listen to is U2, Bon Jovi, Empire of the Sun, and some female vocals. I really like the treble, clarity and sound signature but the bass is ok (could be better, but its not very important). I will use them 3 hours a day at home so comfort is a plus and isolation isn't an issue. Also, most of my music is in FLAC and this headphones were driven by an O2 amp (which I am planning to buy in the future).

So my budget is around $300 and I was reading a lot about the Mad Dogs from Mr. Speakers. From what I can recall, many people say that they can even match higher-end cans like the LCD 3 or the HE500 and I am assuming that they are superior to the HD 600 in most aspects. Can someone who know these two cans very well explain me their differences and tell me which one is more suitable for me given my music preferences. I am not an audiophile at all, but I enjoy listening to music very much.

Thanks alot! :)

Jul 5, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 4
The Mad Dogs are good, but certainly not in the same class as the HE 500 or LCD 2 (much less the LCD 3).

I consider them in the same class as the HD 600.  Some will prefer each in that match up.  They are qyuite different.

You need to put them on your ears and take a listen.  There is no substitute for that.

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 4
lol yes I meant the LCD2.... I decided to go with the HD 600.
Just one more question, do you think its worth buying a more expnsive amp like the bottlehead crack or would the O2 do the job good enough?

Thanks!!

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 4
The O2 is a very good amp and should work well with the HD 600.  The only thing I don't like about it is the size and format of the connections (input and headphone out)--but it's not a deal killer for me.

I don't recall having yet heard the bottlehead crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back