hd600 vs Etymotic ER-4P ?
Feb 10, 2002 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

miziq

100+ Head-Fier
its like many people also tales that Etymotic ER-4P are capable of being "reference" i wonder what those of you who had pleasure to hearing them both could say...

hd600 seems also to hold positon of a reference in his sort, i know those are toatly different designs but need to know this ....

thanx..

Feb 10, 2002 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 26
I have both the HD600s and the ER4Ps and couldn't bear to part with either. I think you'll find that most Ety owners also have at least one quality open headphone for those times when the extreme islolation of the Ety's isn't appropriate.

My advice is to get both.
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 26
I also have the HD600 and Ety 4P/S (w/ adapter), and I wouldn't give up either. Having both is really great because sometimes you can tire of the circumaural sound and fit of the Sennheisers, which then makes the 4P/S perfect in those cases, and vice versa.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do admit, though, that I'm using my Etys a lot more these days than the Senns.

-Chris

Feb 11, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 26
The best I can describe the two totally different, but excellent, musical presentations is as follows: If you want to be immersed in the music, Senns are your best bet. But if you want the experience of having the music being played inside you, then the Etys are the way to go. Those with Etys know what I'm talking about. It is a headphone experience like no other.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 26
i own both of these, plus the senn hd25sp. i use them like this:

hd600 - when i'm sitting at my desk, and want pure musical enjoyment

hd25sp - when i'm playing computer games late at night, or if i'm out, but want a serious bass kick

ety 4p - any other time when i'm out, and sometimes while i do housework. nothing makes work more tolerable than good music.
smily_headphones1.gif

i seriously considered giving away the 25sp, but decided i can't live without any of these anymore. my vote: buy both.

Feb 11, 2002 at 2:55 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by hongman
I do admit, though, that I'm using my Etys a lot more these days than the Senns.

I had been using 580s for several years before getting the 600s and absolutely love the Senn sound. Then I got the Etys. What an amazing transformation!

I bought them to use with an iPod, but, despite their stellar reputation, I never dreamed they would displace everything else in my audio arsenal. First I added a Corda HA-1 to use with them in my den. Great!

Now I increasingly find myself in my media room, sitting in front of a man-high cabinet of equipment, between huge (and silent) Polk SDA-1 Signatures (155 pounds each), with these dinky 3.5mm drivers stuffed in my ears and aural ambrosia seemingly dripping everywhere.

It's like suddenly inheriting a huge music library that just happens to be exactly my taste!

Man, I'd better stop this prattling before I embarrass myself.
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 26
Spad, I know EXACTLY how you feel. It's like music is an entirely new concept now.

What's amazing is that, now that I'm acclimated to the Ety sound, I find myself hearing new stuff in music even while listening to it on lousy speakers away from the headphones. It really trains you to be a critical (but happy!) listener.

-Ty

Feb 11, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 26
I don't want to appear presumptuous but, judging from my mail, most Ety owners don't appear to be aware that there are two sizes of silicon tips included with the Etys--at least there are with the 4s. The installed tips are likely the jumbo size, so if you aren't getting a good fit try switching them. It made a huge difference for me and some others who read my initial post on the subject.

Wow, I think I hear Stan Getz tapping his foot!
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 7:46 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Cybrid
What's amazing is that, now that I'm acclimated to the Ety sound, I find myself hearing new stuff in music even while listening to it on lousy speakers away from the headphones.

PRECISELY! After a year I got my Senn 580s, I'm spending less time veging in front of the tv. Instead I turn to my Senns (and Etys) and be continually struck with epiphanies. It's like living in the Renaissance, ancient Greece or China; you know, all those great inventions and knowledge IN you.

This is the reason why I am now and forever in love with headphones.

Feb 11, 2002 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Spad
I don't want to appear presumptuous but, judging from my mail, most Ety owners don't appear to be aware that there are two sizes of silicon tips included with the Etys--at least there are with the 4s. The installed tips are likely the jumbo size, so if you aren't getting a good fit try switching them. It made a huge difference for me and some others who read my initial post on the subject.

Wow, I think I hear Stan Getz tapping his foot!
tongue.gif

hang on... is this true?? i'm serious, i had no idea. i'll have to take a look tonight and see what size the others are. do you mean they are in the box, or that they are available to purchase?

luce

Feb 11, 2002 at 9:44 AM Post #13 of 26
The "two sizes of white tips" must be a new thing. I've owned two pairs of Etys (ER4S and ER4P) and neither came with two sizes of white tips. I think the larger white tips are a new thing, as I remember Don from Etymotic talking about them recently.

Feb 11, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
The "two sizes of white tips" must be a new thing. I've owned two pairs of Etys (ER4S and ER4P) and neither came with two sizes of white tips. I think the larger white tips are a new thing, as I remember Don from Etymotic talking about them recently.

I can't say when they began including both sizes, or even if they universally do so today, but I know they have in at least several cases, including my own.

My usual practice is to remove the tips once a week or so, wash them in warm, soapy water, and reinstall the same tips. Then one day I had to leave on short notice and I simply replaced the tips with a new pair for the first time.

I didn't realize they were smaller than the originals until I inserted them later. Although I was fairly well adapted to the larger size, these fit much better and were far more comfortable.

Later, comparing them side-by-side, I confirmed that they--along with the remaining untried pair--were significantly smaller. Checking the Etymotic site, I discovered that they do indeed offer a "jumbo" size. I assume my Etys were equipped with them when I received them in November.

Recently, I mentioned this in another thread and others found that they too had unknowingly been struggling to adapt to an unnecessarily large tip without knowing that they actually had an alternative.

We're likely all aware of cases where some headphone aficionado has purchased Etys and returned them because he/she couldn't get used to having them in his or her ears. I wonder if those returns could have been prevented by the simple inclusion of a sticker inside the box that mentioned (at least) the availability of various sizes of silicon tips.

Feb 11, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 26
Perhaps Don or Etymotic Research can help us identify our kit by its serial number?

I ...think... mine are all regular sized. But I did get mine just half a month ago (if date is significant).

It's not necessary but it may ease our minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back