hd600 vs Etymotic ER-4P ?
Feb 11, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 26
I bought my ER4Ps over two months ago, and they did indeed come with the jumbo tips on the earphones themselves with two pairs of smaller tips in the box. I had no idea this was the case until Spad posted this information in another thread.

Similar to Spad's experience, I did finally figure out how to get a consistently good fit with the jumbo tips (it took me more than a month!), but when I read his post and tried out the smaller tips, they did seem to fit into my ears more easily. As I mentioned in the other thread, I think I would've gotten up to speed with my ER4Ps much faster if I had known about the smaller tips from the beginning!

Feb 11, 2002 at 9:30 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by PianoBlack
Perhaps Don or Etymotic Research can help us identify our kit by its serial number?

I ...think... mine are all regular sized. But I did get mine just half a month ago (if date is significant).

It's not necessary but it may ease our minds.

Just remove the tips and sit them on a surface next to the others. If they differ in size, it will be very obvious.

Feb 13, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by hongman
I also have the HD600 and Ety 4P/S (w/ adapter), and I wouldn't give up either. Having both is really great because sometimes you can tire of the circumaural sound and fit of the Sennheisers, which then makes the 4P/S perfect in those cases, and vice versa.
smily_headphones1.gif
I do admit, though, that I'm using my Etys a lot more these days than the Senns.

-Chris

Too true. Now that I have my ety 4p to 4s adapter my Grado sr-60s are sitting lonely on the shelf. But then again, the Ety 4p without the adapter sounded better than the SR-60 for me.

Still waiting for my JMT amp......

Feb 13, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #19 of 26
I am about to purchase the 4P's. What is the best 4P>4S adapter and where can I get it. Link?

Feb 13, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by msjjr
I am about to purchase the 4P's. What is the best 4P>4S adapter and where can I get it. Link?

The site where I ordered my cable from is here: http://www.fixup.net/tips/ety/ety.htm

This is simply an alternative to Daniel Pumphrey's cable. I'm not sure which one is better but this one is a good value. Set me back about 24 bucks incl. shipping. Xin Feng was a nice guy to deal with too. I put in an order first time around but something screwy happened with Priority Mail and I never got the cable. I notified him by email and he offered me a refund or to send out another one right away. I opted for the second option and he rushed another right out to me. This time it got here in the 3 days and now I have a great sounding headphone and a big thumbs up goes to Xin and his great customer service.

Feb 13, 2002 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 26
If you use the ER4Ps with your Corda HA-1, you might be able to get the 4S sound by using the 120 ohm jack. I own a Porta Corda and use the included 120 ohm adapter which provides a smoother, more refined sound than using the ER4Ps alone. I don't have a 4P-4S adapter, so I can't compare the two, but a few other people on the forum who do own both have claimed that the sound is very similar.

Feb 13, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 26
Thanks folks. What is the length of the cord on the stock Ety 4P?

Feb 13, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #25 of 26
When I read this thread I had to rush over to my Etys to check...my ER4P's, ship date 2/4/02, came with 3 sets of identical white tips.

I'm still in a transition phase where I'm trying to get used to the feeling of having them in my ears, not only the physical feeling but also the isolation. I have a set of custom earmolds on order and should be getting a call this week (I will try to post a follow-up) so those should help!

If I could add my $0.02 on these earphones...I don't have too much time to listen so I'm still in a transition phase where I'm getting acclimated to the sound quality, but these things are quite amazing. My jaw dropped the other day, when, to my astonishment, I could make out some bozo in the crowd yell "I love you!" while listening to Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live" double-CD set. This may not be all that amazing, but this was WHILE there was music playing in the foreground, not during a pause. And I can definitely relate to another poster's comment about the music being "inside your head."
Peace
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2002 at 10:32 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by jcorkery
If you use the ER4Ps with your Corda HA-1, you might be able to get the 4S sound by using the 120 ohm jack. I own a Porta Corda and use the included 120 ohm adapter which provides a smoother, more refined sound than using the ER4Ps alone. I don't have a 4P-4S adapter, so I can't compare the two, but a few other people on the forum who do own both have claimed that the sound is very similar.

In another thread I posted a brief comparison using the various combinations possible with the Corda HA-1. I found just enough difference between the 120 ohm jack on the amp and using the adapter in the 0 ohm position to prefer using the adapter.

The 120 position is a little dull, the 0 position is a tad bright, and using the 4P with the adapter in the 0 ohm sleeve was just right.

And then Poppa Bear said . . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back