HD600: Unreal Price
May 15, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #61 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
explination requested

He was saying the cable seems to just have a thicker jacket. I don't believe that's the case, of course the connectors to the cans themselves are improved, so is the 1/4 connector piece. I'd compare it to the ohelback on same level, and going back to stock HD600 i do notice a difference. How dramatic the difference is, i can't estimate but i won't under-estimate an improvement in the cable, which is pretty obvious to me (personally).

I've had some cable swapping experience, and find the stock hd600 cable really flimsy and even with my basic pair i atleast got ohelback as a replacement.

May 15, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #62 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
He was saying the cable seems to just have a thicker jacket. I don't believe that's the case, of course the connectors to the cans themselves are improved, so is the 1/4 connector piece. I'd compare it to the ohelback on same level, and going back to stock HD600 i do notice a difference. How dramatic the difference is, i can't estimate but i won't under-estimate an improvement in the cable, which is pretty obvious to me (personally).

I've had some cable swapping experience, and find the stock hd600 cable really flimsy and even with my basic pair i atleast got ohelback as a replacement.

thanks given for explination given

May 15, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #63 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
it's my understanding that the stock 650 cable is exactly the same as the 580/600 cable except it has thicker insulation.

I remember reading that from here somewhere. I could be mistaken and I'm too lazy to search, but I think it was from a review Jude wrote when the 650's first came out. He was comparing the then new 650 to his 600 and Sennheiser indicated to him that there was no difference in the basic construction of their respective cables.

Then I read other people say that the 650 cable made a difference with their 600's so I decided to give it a go. I figured for $14 shipped what the heck. I found the bass to have slightly more impact, but the soundstage collapsed a little. But I got the 650 cable shortly after receiving my 600's so this could all just be my ears adjusting to the 600's sound signature over time. Who knows? At any rate, the 650 cable is definitely more sturdy, looks better (I hated the red/black mismatched connectors of the 580/600 cable), and the 1/4 plug is better suited for my home amp.

May 15, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #64 of 214
I just go the 650 cable in this week for my 580s, and I can't really say much about the sound difference. I'm too afraid to switch the cables back and forth out of fear of causing the notorious connection problem. What I can say though, is that it sure feels good having a bigger sturdier cable on there, even if I really had no chance of breaking the original one. Sometimes just the feeling of quality is worth having, especially when the sound quality is so great (and the cable is only 15 bucks with shipping).

I definitely don't feel like I've lost any "Senn magic" but I don't know how golden my ears are either. On the other hand...I don't think you need perfect ears to enjoy "Senn magic"!

As to refurbs, though not a headphone, my NAD C542 is a refurb and works great and came warrantied. Perfect looking unit too. I convinced myself that a refurb gets into my hands having gone through more scrutiny to make sure it finally works than one directly from the factory...not necessarily a good assumption...but then again, the extra $120 I saved on it convinced me all the way to the store
smily_headphones1.gif

Viva la 'furb!

-Doug-

May 15, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #65 of 214
Please don't shoot me...I might be in the minority, but after long listening sessions...I like the 600's better than the 650's. But if it matters, my 600's have the Cardas upgrade cable and the 650's had the stock.

May 15, 2005 at 2:49 AM Post #66 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
Please don't shoot me...I might be in the minority, but after long listening sessions...I like the 600's better than the 650's. But if it matters, my 600's have the Cardas upgrade cable and the 650's had the stock.

Would you mind expounding on some of the differences between the HD600 w/ Cardas upgrade cable & the HD650? Soundstage; Bass Impact; Bass Extension; Trebel Resolution & Extension; etc.

May 15, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #68 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by N4P0L30N
Do they really sound that bad unamped? if so is there any really cheap amp that will make them sound better?

To be honest, I have tried using the HD600 out of my iPod without an amp and line out, and it doesn't sound "bad" per se. In fact, in terms of volume I was surprised to find that the HD600 can be driven to my desired loudness at a mere 60% volume on the iPod. However, just because you can listen to them without an amp doesn't mean these headphones will be at their best. Though I currently only have a Go-Vibe, I have used these headphones on better equipment which I don't own or have money for, and these headphones were much improved with better gear.

I might also have read somewhere that the iPod has something of a more powerful internal amplifer, or something along those lines.... Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong or point you in the right direction about that. I have no idea how bad/good these will sound out of any other DAP, but it is listenable on the iPod... It's just not going to be the best.

Edit: I forgot to answer the part about a cheap amp that can go with the HD600. The Go-Vibe is only $65 or 70 new, and it does pretty good job with the HD600 given its price. Sure, it's not going to be as fantastic as something better and more expensive, but I think at this price point it's fine. I think of my HD600s as headphones that will grow with my equipment as I upgrade, so at this point I am happy with what I have, though I am always looking forward to getting better source and amp later on. Usually people say to get a better source or amp first before headphones, but I had to buy my HD600's.... The price I paid for them at the time was great
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #69 of 214
they dont sound bad...they sound pretty decent actually.

people use the term "bad" relative to their potential (plus mid-high range source and amp).

May 15, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #71 of 214
Since the 600's can accept a 650 cable, does this mean they can also be hooked up to dual xlr plugs and run balanced signal? (like the 650's can, for pluggin into a dac-1)

(edit: answer = yes)

May 15, 2005 at 10:00 AM Post #72 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
BTW, am I crazy or is the HD600 slightly reminiscent of the KSC-35? Like, if the HD600 were a fully mature T-Rex performing opera, the KSC35's might be a newly-hatched T-Rex singing scales are arpeggios?

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Judged solely by that post, I'd say you ARE crazy, but it has nothing to do with the sound of either the HD600 or the KSC-35.
tongue.gif

~KS

May 15, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #73 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB.
BTW, am I crazy or is the HD600 slightly reminiscent of the KSC-35? Like, if the HD600 were a fully mature T-Rex performing opera, the KSC35's might be a newly-hatched T-Rex singing scales are arpeggios?

You'd be correct only if you assume a pair of KSC-35 with the bass toned way down. Then I agree, their open/spacious sound is a bit reminiscent of the HD600. Minus a whole lot of detail & refinement, and with a lot of added grain, but still...

P.S. it's nice to see these awesome low prices spreading the HD6x0 love... warms the heart of a budget hi-fi guy like myself
tongue.gif
. Now, if I could dig up the cash to get a pair myself...
frown.gif

May 15, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #74 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Would you mind expounding on some of the differences between the HD600 w/ Cardas upgrade cable & the HD650? Soundstage; Bass Impact; Bass Extension; Trebel Resolution & Extension; etc.

The biggest improvement is in clean bass and soundstage. The Cardas, widened the soundstage a lot, and gave more air around the instruments. I guess the term would be less congested. Also, when I was grooving to the 650's, I didn't realize how much bass was missing until I put back on the 600's. I also don't like the vise-grip clamping effect that the 650's headband provide. No matter what I do with the headband, it drives pressure into my brain. The 600's are so comfortable, I don't know I have them on.
In retrospect, I am sorry, that I didn't take my Cardas and put them on the 650's to see the results. I also own a pair of R-10's, and Qualia 010's, so I have something serious to reference them, against. But, all in all, I'd say for $200-300, the are truly a wonderful can, and I still use them in equal rotation.
As far as amps are concerned, the better the amp, the better they sound. They need some power, to really see what they can do.

May 15, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #75 of 214
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
The biggest improvement is in clean bass and soundstage. The Cardas, widened the soundstage a lot, and gave more air around the instruments. I guess the term would be less congested. Also, when I was grooving to the 650's, I didn't realize how much bass was missing until I put back on the 600's. I also don't like the vise-grip clamping effect that the 650's headband provide. No matter what I do with the headband, it drives pressure into my brain. The 600's are so comfortable, I don't know I have them on.
In retrospect, I am sorry, that I didn't take my Cardas and put them on the 650's to see the results. I also own a pair of R-10's, and Qualia 010's, so I have something serious to reference them, against. But, all in all, I'd say for $200-300, the are truly a wonderful can, and I still use them in equal rotation.
As far as amps are concerned, the better the amp, the better they sound. They need some power, to really see what they can do.

I find it strange that you find the HD650 uncomfortablely vice-griping while the HD600 is much more comfortable. According to Sennheiser's homepage on both headphones their "contact pressure" is supposed to be equal at 2.5 newtons?
confused.gif
They also are claimed to have the same weight of 260 grams. I don't suppose it could have been psychological in any way could it? I also would have liked to know what the Cardas replacement cable would have done with the HD650's sound.

You said that the HD600 is a truly wonderful can for a price of $200-$300, what about the Cardas cable? I have seen it at at Headroom for $150. Is it worth half or more than half the price of the HD600 to add it on? In my case it would cost more than the headphone itself!
eek.gif
So is it worth it for the cable or is it just an expensive white elephant that you regret pooring the extra money into? It doesn't sound like it would be, but because of its high price tag (in my mind its high anyway) I wanted to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back