HD600 or HD650 for my set up?
Nov 25, 2008 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

themanbeast

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to either be getting a HD600 or HD650 to go with my setup, and I'm not sure how well my dac/amp will work with them. I've read that the 600 is much easier to drive, and it is a bit cheaper, so I am leaning towards that, but if the 650 would work well in my setup that would be the choice I would make.

my setup:

X-Fi Prelude optical out -> Zero -> Darkvoice 336i

also, any helpful information on interconnects would be awesome, I know this isnt the forum for that but I don't really want to make two threads on it if I don't have to
wink.gif
Right now I am using a cheapo Phillips interconnect for my zero and 336i.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #2 of 5
I liked the HD600 better with the 336i. In general, the HD600 sound more balanced, clear and neutral than the HD650 through the 336i.

That's not a put-down for the HD600, either. In fact, I've owned both the HD600 and the HD650 multiple times with multiple sources, amps and re-cables, and have always preferred the HD600.

I've had good success with My Audio Cables (MAC) silver plated copper interconnects and power cords. Right now, I use the EVS IC100 PC-OCC copper interconnects, with naked/unjacketed Eichmann Bullet RCA jacks, built by Ric Schultz at Electronic Visionary Systems. He now offers a better IC, the RSW-1, using silver plated copper, for $105/meter pair.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 5
They are the same as far as amp requirements, both are easy to drive with a decent tube amp. I haven't tried the 600 but I can tell you that I think the 650 is perfect. Warm, smooth, plenty of bass so that the music sounds VERY natural. Most headphones I have tried are lacking or over board on some part of the sonic range. The 650's are very balanced. People will say they are veiled and have a less than snappy bass. If you have a decent amp and source then they will sound amazing. Organic and natural are the best words I can use to describe the 650. I would wait on cables until you put your system together so you can see what kind of sound signature you want from your cables. I know people don't believe but your system will be nice enough to show you the difference between a cheap, copper or silver cable. Good Luck.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 5
It really comes down to personal preference. The HD-600 is a little brighter, faster and more neutral. The HD-650 is a little darker and groovier. But both are excellent and you really can't go wrong with either. I had been listening a lot to the HD-600, but have been really enjoying the HD-650 with 2A3 tubes this week. They sound amazing with vocals.

But pick the one that appeals most to you or you can get a good deal on. I think there's a used HD-600 here for $200 - a fair deal. Either way, you'll have a great headphone.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 5
I preferred the HD600 with the 336i; the HD650 with the 337. : )

The "warmer" amp (336i) better served the HD600; the more "neutral" amp (337) better served the HD650, IMHE. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back