HD600-like portables for jogging with an iPod
Feb 15, 2009 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

balanceofpower

100+ Head-Fier
This topic has probably been covered ad nausem but I'll give it a shot anyway. As the topic says, I use Sennheiser HD600 headphones as my main listening cans at home and absolutely love their sound. Can anyone steer me in the direction of more portable headphones that share a similar sound? I don't jog in a particularly noisy area so isolation from traffic and such isn't totally necessary.

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 14
From what I've heard here, the IEM closest in sound to HD650 (which is close enough to HD600 from what I hear?) is Shure SE530, with its crisp mids and deep controlled bass. I don't have the high end Senn cans so I can't speak for myself but I do own the 530 and it sounds great.

Two things are that it is very expensive (almost as much as those fullsize cans at MSRP), and it may not be the most exercise friendly, although I think that would be mostly due to how expensive it is.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 14
I would say the px-100 is closer to the grado sr-60 in sound then to the warmth of the HD-600. I really cant tell you for jogging what I would reccomend...if you are looking for something easy and reasonably priced the I-grado(albiet ugly) is a good jogging set of phones. Are you looking for in ears or on ear? maybe the sure SE530's...

If you have a budget give us an idea of what that would be as well.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the responses so far.

Aesthetics aren't a big concern.. over ear is preferable, so long as they're not too heavy. Budget would be up to $150 in the 'used' range. I realize most portables are probably in-ear and I may be locking myself out of a wide variety of earphones here. With mild tinnitus I'd rather avoid the earbud types for at the very least piece of mind.

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 14
Feb 15, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 14
I use the PX 100 for jogging and recommend it. It needs some equalizing to sound at its best, though (bass decreased, upper treble increased).

I wouldn't run with a closed, isolating head-/earphone, because isolation comes with occlusion effects: you'll hear every step, even every breath you take as dumb rumble and rasp.

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the PX 100 for jogging and recommend it. It needs some equalizing to sound at its best, though (bass decreased, upper treble increased).

I wouldn't run with a closed, isolating head-/earphone, because isolation comes with occlusion effects: you'll hear every step, even every breath you take as dumb rumble and rasp.

x2. I like the PX100s for jogging.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #9 of 14
I would have to agree with pretty much everyone else. While I don't care for the Senn sound, the PX-100 sound very similar to the HD-6X0 series.

They're light, portable, relatively cheap, and usually come with a carrying case. Perfect for exercise when isolation isn't needed.

Nylan

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #11 of 14
Looks like I'll give the PX-100s a shot. And for $38 I can't complain too much.

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #13 of 14
I concur with the rest.I love my PX100..second pair. For jogging you may want to consider the PMX-100. Same thing but its more secure if you are using it during exercise.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #14 of 14
...or wait for the HD 238
tongue_smile.gif
-- like me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back