HD600 in the form of an IEM with very good isolation
Feb 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #46 of 74
Quote:
They don't enjoy being carried away from home, I'd be afraid of breaking them in a pouch myself. When I have moved them around, I restore them in the case they came with. I'm glad you're enjoying them though. They really come through with performance when you need them to, never let me down. They've definitely spoilt me, they bring out that audio amateur excitement in me. They've been my favorite to watch movies as well. Especially blockbuster flicks with great sound editing/mixing still blow me away :wink: They really could do with some isolation... maybe we should test that "space helmet" you mentioned on your first post in this thread? :wink:

As for my newly found IEM journey, I just came out of a 7 hour session with the ER-4S and my right ear is extremely sore, I literally cannot insert it back at the moment without feeling the pain. I kind of lost myself assuming it was just the pressure in the canal and with how beautifully detailed the sound was. The conscious of this recurring might detract me from professionally using them again. Such a shame. I was really enjoying that neutral, dependable sound. 

DanielKRego, Audio Professionals and Audiophiles are not to be confused :p I've never heard the DT880's, and I really would embarass myself attempting to describe their sound signature in audiophile terminology, but I'll give it a proper shot when I can. I'm currently consumed by battling with the Ety's.

Do you find the etys bass light compared to the hd600?  Also, have you tried a smaller or different tip even if it doesn't seem as good off the bat?

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #47 of 74
Quote:
Hey Manofwood and everyone else here,

I'm in a similar position. I'm a professional musician, also running my own home production setup (my cans of choice are the Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250 ohm, though!), and wanted an IEM with a similar accurate, neutral and detailed sound presentation. I most probably will NOT be using them for production work though.

Etymotic ER-4S!

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #48 of 74
I'm not 100% sure yet, but I might have to bite my tongue and say that I was wrong about the 4r, well not wrong, but too doubtful about their potential.  I've connected them to my duet and my denon avr988.  The duet is better, but the denon is just incredible.  It makes my ipod sound like much (exaggeration).  But seriously, it doesn't really affect the frequency response at all, but it opens up the depth and details to an incredible degree, which makes them sound more lively, more accurate, and simply more enjoyable.  I just compared the hd600 and the 4r on the denon, and they are actually pretty similar.

Very similar in fact.  The main difference is that the hd600 has a little bit more high crispness and bass kickiness.  Again, not really the frequency response, though they differ slightly, but more specifically the impact of the notes in those frequencies and the distinctness.  Also the hd600 are more open, but i don't think any iem can match an open headphone for openness :p seeing as how they simply aren't open. ha.

But overall, with that amp they are much closer, and I'm personally so much happier now knowing my 4r has so much potential.  I'm hoping it isn't an impedance affect, but it doesn't sound like it, whereas the duet sort of sounds like it, but almost in a good way.  I really hope that when I get my jds labs amp the 4r will sound similar to the denon.  If it does, I will be extremely happy using my 4r as my hd600 replacement on-the-go...

Feb 15, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #49 of 74
Quote:
DanielKRego, Audio Professionals and Audiophiles are not to be confused :p I've never heard the DT880's, and I really would embarass myself attempting to describe their sound signature in audiophile terminology, but I'll give it a proper shot when I can. I'm currently consumed by battling with the Ety's.

Hahahaha, go on though, I'd be interested in knowing your take on them. I'm finding it hard to get a clear idea of the DBA-02 MkII's tonal balance. I've received direct feedback ranging from it being rather warm, to others calling it bright and lacking in bottom-end. How puzzling.

Anyone here with experience with the DBA-02 MkII (not the original DBA-02, though), please chime in with your impressions of the sound signature, thank you!
Quote:
Etymotic ER-4S!

Of course, the legendary. My concerns with the ER-4 series include what Manofwood has mentioned though - I'm not sure I'd find them very comfortable when inserted to the reference plane. Additionally, from the measurements of 30hz square wave response I've seen (over at InnerFidelity), I'm not convinced of its decay and body in the bass regions.

Frequency response is not everything, as we all know. :)

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #50 of 74
Quote:

Of course, the legendary. My concerns with the ER-4 series include what Manofwood has mentioned though - I'm not sure I'd find them very comfortable when inserted to the reference plane. Additionally, from the measurements of 30hz square wave response I've seen (over at InnerFidelity), I'm not convinced of its decay and body in the bass regions.

Frequency response is not everything, as we all know. :)

True, I guess for some ER-4 series' bass is too thin and empty-sounding. For me personally it's perfect for the genres I listen too (mainly nu-jazz and some lounge music stuffs), but I guess one would wish for fuller bass for genres like Hip Hop etc. And then there's the fit issues.

Thus I wholeheartedly recommends FitEar F111. It's basically ER-4S with fuller, deeper bass and none of the fit issues; it's just that it's really hard to come by these days, especially if you live outside of Japan. And of course, it's pricey.

Another alternative is AT CK10, it's also a really fine dual-driver IEM for monitoring purposes. It's discontinued though, so good luck finding one ;p

Lastly it's j-phonic k2 SP. Yet another fine dual-driver IEM that is actually designed for stage use & monitoring. And I can say for sure that this has full bodied, deep bass that the ER-4S lack. But yet again, it's only available in Japan so you'll need a proxy to get one.

What the hell's with all these pricey and rare Japanese IEM being good for monitoring purposes???

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #51 of 74
IEMs that have a similar sound sig to the HD600s? Ain't gonna happen! The 600s are open back phones and all iems are, by design, closed back, how much so is dependent on the isolation factor. I own Senn HD580s which are very similar to the 600s. I also have the Senn ie80s. The 80s are noted for their wide soundstage and deservedly so but they can't even come close to touching the 580s for depth, width and to some extent, instrumental separation.  I vary my use between the two sets of phones depending on the genre of music I want to listen to. 

Feb 16, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #52 of 74
Quote:
IEMs that have a similar sound sig to the HD600s? Ain't gonna happen! The 600s are open back phones and all iems are, by design, closed back, how much so is dependent on the isolation factor. I own Senn HD580s which are very similar to the 600s. I also have the Senn ie80s. The 80s are noted for their wide soundstage and deservedly so but they can't even come close to touching the 580s for depth, width and to some extent, instrumental separation.  I vary my use between the two sets of phones depending on the genre of music I want to listen to. 

I go back and forth between my hd600 and 4r every day, and they are similar in tone (similar not exact) but the main difference is indeed that they simply don't have the airiness of the hd600 and the 600 pulls out more fine details.  However, the 4r isolates infinitely better than the hd600, so in that sense sometimes you might hear more with the 4r depending on the room noise.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with both.  i don't feel like I'm sacrificing much switching between them.  One sounds excellent with isolation and portability, the other sounds open and beautiful for when the room is quiet...

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #53 of 74
Quote:

I go back and forth between my hd600 and 4r every day, and they are similar in tone (similar not exact) but the main difference is indeed that they simply don't have the airiness of the hd600 and the 600 pulls out more fine details.  However, the 4r isolates infinitely better than the hd600, so in that sense sometimes you might hear more with the 4r depending on the room noise.

For what it's worth, I'm happy with both.  i don't feel like I'm sacrificing much switching between them.  One sounds excellent with isolation and portability, the other sounds open and beautiful for when the room is quiet...

This is also what I do, go between my IE80 and HD580 depending on the music. When I travel, however, I get no choice.

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #58 of 74
Quote:

Do you find the etys bass light compared to the hd600?  Also, have you tried a smaller or different tip even if it doesn't seem as good off the bat?

Yes, they're pretty bass light in comparison. I'd say the ER-4 is closer to the K701 than the HD600. I think the UM3X comes pretty close to the HD600 (it's on the warmer side though, closer to the HD650).

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #59 of 74
Quote:

Yes, they're pretty bass light in comparison. I'd say the ER-4 is closer to the K701 than the HD600. I think the UM3X comes pretty close to the HD600 (it's on the warmer side though, closer to the HD650).

That's how I feel.  The k701 are good quality, but I couldn't take that little bass personally. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back