HD600: I can't stop smiling
May 7, 2009 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

wilyodysseus

100+ Head-Fier
FedEx delivered my HD600's about an hour ago. I keep catching myself grinning like a fool.
o2smile.gif
They have great detail and sound stage without the (for me) fatigue and shrill top end of my old K701's. I tried to live with the K701's for almost a year, but they're just too harsh for me. The HD600's are keepers.

May 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 82
It's nice to have a rig that increases the "smile" factor. The 701's need a re-cable to get within their full potential and with that the bottom frequencies, for me, kept them from being real contenders.

All systems offer coloration to the original signal, the object is to find one that least offends you, the listener, and proceed from there. Sound, like your taste in Music, will evolve over time. The 600 (I have two, one balanced the other single-ended) will remain along for the ride. Either balanced (from my Beta) or fed by a top-tier tube affair can give 95% of what Headphones can offer, and that is saying a lot.

May 7, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 82
Nice choice of headphones! I couldn't make up my mind on whether I wanted the HD600's or the Denon AH-D2000's, so I just bought the ones that were available first. I ended up with the Denon's, and they were exactly what I was looking for, however, I still want to try the 600's
tongue_smile.gif

May 7, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilyodysseus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FedEx delivered my HD600's about an hour ago.

Quote:

[...]without the (for me) fatigue...

Can you even get listening fatigue within an hour
confused.gif
?

May 7, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 82
Congrats on the HD-600! They're one of my favorites and I have not grown tired of them over the past 18 months or so that I've owned them. The HD-600 is not the most expensive or highes status headphones out there, but sometimes common objects turn out better than the highly touted. The HD-600 is one of the true classics - do no let the reasonable price or wide availability convince you otherwise.

As for the K-701, the only worthwhile upgrade is removing the drivers and replacing them with K-501 drivers.

May 7, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt fatigued even only after 30 mins when using the K701.

You have to build up endurance for this sport
wink.gif

May 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 82
I've had 600's for about 2 years now and love them when I use them. I'm using them more and more these days (getting up early and don't want to wake the household). But I'm still just plugging them into the CD player's headphone jack. I know I need a better head amp.

Too many independent suggestions out there when searching, but I feel compelled to ask what everyone here recommends in the $300 range. I was thinking of building a Millet Mini-Max, but have not committed to it yet. What else should I look at (build or buy, tubes are preferred).

Thanks,
Bob (don't mean to hijack the thread, sorry)

May 7, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by wilyodysseus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FedEx delivered my HD600's about an hour ago. I keep catching myself grinning like a fool.
o2smile.gif
They have great detail and sound stage without the (for me) fatigue and shrill top end of my old K701's. I tried to live with the K701's for almost a year, but they're just too harsh for me. The HD600's are keepers.

awesome man.

i debated forever between the Senn HD 650 and the Denon D5000. Did a ton of research and realized the D5000 would probably serve my individual tastes/setup more.

I just got them Tuesday and I'm wearing the same grin you are!

Cheers to two great cans.
happy_face1.gif

now i need a real amp.
mad.gif

May 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 82
My HD650 - delivered Tuesday - are growing on me quickly as well. I still love the very open and airy sound of my K601, and it generally does exceptionally well with the female vocals I listen to most of the time (the likes of Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, The Cardigans etc.), but there's just an enormous weight and authority to the sound the HD650 delivers - even on music that isn't characterized by lots of drums and bass - and I gotta admit that I rather like it
smily_headphones1.gif

And despite their laid back nature, the extra punch has also proven a very nice addition in the couple of action movies and games I've tested them with so far.

May 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #11 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wankerfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice choice of headphones! I couldn't make up my mind on whether I wanted the HD600's or the Denon AH-D2000's, so I just bought the ones that were available first. I ended up with the Denon's, and they were exactly what I was looking for, however, I still want to try the 600's
tongue_smile.gif

Yes, I enjoy the AD700's enough that I seriously considered the AD900's rather than the HD600's. The D2000's are way outside my budget at the moment, but I'm very curious about them.

EDIT: Oops, I totally mis-read that. I'm curious about the Audio-Technical ATH-AD2000. I did some research on the Denon's, but the the descriptions didn't hook me. It sure would be nice to have a place to audition some of this stuff; I seem to have a knack for missing the local meet-ups.

May 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt fatigued even only after 30 mins when using the K701.

Seriously. Some music sounded great, but the K701's made too many tracks nails-in-the-ear painful. I tried different amps, different sources, a few minor mods, and toyed with head position, but they were never quite there for me. Everybody's ears are different, I guess. I'm sure the K701's are the bee's knees for some people matched with some gear, but it's the HD600's for me.

May 7, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 82
Congratulations for a great purchase. I have similar preferences than you do and also found K701 fatiguing when I owned it. HD600 does it for me and Lehmann BCL brings them alive.

May 7, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #15 of 82
Going back to HD600 after listening to K701...ahhh, thats better. The HD600 does a lot for a little. Not perfect by any means, but I'd have to spend considerably more to achieve better all-around performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back