HD600 for rock/electronica with bright amp
Sep 14, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You take your chances. Based on my experience with an Ultrasone and FWIR about the V1, I estimate the combo to be an accident likely to happen. Some may enjoy it, but I estimate most would not.

This will be put to the test
wink.gif

I had it narrowed down to Ultrasones and the HD600, and I found a new HFI-580 for a good deal ($118). I was a little turned off into the used equipment (if I got HD600 they would have been used), and from what I read Ultrasones seem to be more appropriate for the genres I like. This thread just sealed the deal (After over a month of intense reading about all different types of cans). It will also be nice to have a closed can to compliment my venerable (to me) HD485. So when I get to test The Ultrasones with the V1 I will report on this combo.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #21 of 42
I think you're honestly going to have a hard time working this out. Good electronica headphones that I can think of (dt880, cd3k, ad2k, hd800, ultrasones...) are generally neutral to bright to gain speed, which I think is the most important quality for that genre, and won't synergize well with a bright amp. But if you buy dark headphones they won't work well even with a bright amp. So your best option is to sell it and buy another (better) amp - something neutral like a D10 would be fine.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #22 of 42
The stated budget is ~$200. Even a used DT880 should be considered a no go. Who's going to recommend the DT880 for rock music from a bright source / amp? And who's going to recommend an Ultrasone for rock music? Electronic music is only half the deal. Hello... is any body out there?

And that's why, FWIR, I suggested the DT150. It would work better with the OP's bright source / amp. It would be sure to do rock music justice, and it probably would sound quite entertaining if not down right impressive with electronica / trance. Again, the OP is only working with a ~$200 budget from an inexpensive source / amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're honestly going to have a hard time working this out. Good electronica headphones that I can think of (dt880, cd3k, ad2k, hd800, ultrasones...) are generally neutral to bright to gain speed, which I think is the most important quality for that genre, and won't synergize well with a bright amp. But if you buy dark headphones they won't work well even with a bright amp. So your best option is to sell it and buy another (better) amp - something neutral like a D10 would be fine.

Sep 14, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #24 of 42
Might want to try out the MS-1s, I think they are really great with rock, and do just fine with electronica. Plus, I don't think it would be too bright of a synergy with a bright amp, since the MS-1s are a more neutral sounding Grado.

Used MS-1s can sell for pretty cheap so it won't break the bank either. Also play with the variation of ear pads on the MS-1s, they provide different types of SQ and comfort for most. My favorite are reversed quarter modded HD414 pads.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #26 of 42
I've read similar accounts of Grado / Alessandro users enjoying their headphones with rock and electronica. However, I doubt that I would prefer the MS1 to the DT150 with this music. But you never know, the OP could.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober-george /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to try out the MS-1s, I think they are really great with rock, and do just fine with electronica.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasones are great, just not for rock and electronic music. And the RS1 is way over the OP's budget. But thanks for playing along.

lol, the Ultrasones are the best for Electronica, and RS-1 are the King of Rock...
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #28 of 42
I don't think rs1 is the king for rock. If you want a good headphone for rock , i suggest that you consider the koss esp950 or just a better amp for hd600.

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think rs1 is the king for rock. If you want a good headphone for rock , i suggest that you consider the koss esp950 or just a better amp for hd600.

The 600 do not have the super fast guitar energy and excitement that the RS-1 provide for rock, or even for electronica.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back