HD600 - bad choise or poor equipment?
May 25, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #61 of 65
heheh - you could just say, however, that the "lack of gimmick" is actually the gimmick.
wink.gif

Iow, it's just back again to a question of preference. One person might like what they perceive as the "lack of gimmick," while another person thinks it sounds flat and lifeless compared to something else. It all just goes to show how subjective it all is in the end.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #62 of 65
It's true. At the end of the day it is only the personal preference.

However, this thread is a bit different. The OP used improper equipment to pair with headphone and said the sound is totally crap while the general statement of this can is totally different.

As I mentioned, first, many newbies here think about amping the headphone = increasing volume. That was a misunderstanding.

Then, they was stuck with the hype of "newbie market" - high-end soundcard, portable amp or any kind of overrated headphones here.

HD600/650 may not a cup of tea of everybody, but at least it's not a love/hate headphone like AKG701. However, some may think it's a good choice since it was one of the top dog of Sennheiser (well.. at least before HD800 is shown up) and finally getting upset because of the above statements.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #63 of 65
Just for information for those who were interested in this thread:
Finally I bought the HD650. After one week comparison I definitely think they are better than HD600 except the bass IMHO. HD650 has an exaggerated low bass. But HD650 has the best treble I have ever heard - very, very natural. The mids and the vocals of HD650 are very decent but not fantastic. Anyway they are better than my HD600 can reproduce IMHO. I would like to specify that I compare the new (silver screen) HD600 and the new (silver screen) HD650. BTW Asus Xonar Essence is a good amp for HD650. Sure maybe not the best one. I will keep the HD650. Thanks for the help guys!

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #64 of 65
If you must have the Xonar then why not get headphones that are compatible with the Xonar? Compatible headphones will sound better than a poorly driven HD600. Take a look at AT and Grado and Sony and Jvc/Kenwood for something to sound fabulous with that sound card.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #65 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand connecting the HD650's instead of the HD600's will make your computer sound experience much more tolerable if not pleasant. The HD600's are too neutral to accept "any" source.

^Can you elaborate on this? When you say too neutral, you mean less bass than the HD650 and therefore more forgiving right? Does that mean with proper equipment the HD600 becomes more enjoyable than the HD650? Please clarify...

To the OP please try an amp before blaming the headphone, even something as basic as the LD micro tube. Also the Xonar DX is a decent soundcard, but your MP3s should be ripped from original CDs at 320 kbps or use FLAC. I had the same problem, the Essence STX is a better source, but first get an amp, then upgrade your source, because even with the STX you'll still want an amp. Congrats on the HD650s. Now how about putting that HD600 up for sale here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back