HD600 and Meier Corda Headsix ?
Mar 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

lazure

Head-Fier
Hi all - looking to take a further plunge...my gear right now is Etymotic ER-4P with the S adapter and a Meier Corda Headsix amp. I'm looking to purchase a pair of full-size headphones that would be fairly neutral, but maybe just a bit less so than the Etys, which could be the most neutral sounding headphones on the planet. My musical tastes are quite varied, but let's say I listen mostly to 80s rock and folk, with a fair bit of accoustic guitar. My budget is about $300.

My searches on these forums have led me to strongly consider Sennheiser's HD600. My only concern is whether my Headsix amp would be up to the task of powering them adequately. I've read horror stories about people saying that you need to spend a tonne of money to properly amp the HD600, and I'm afraid I'd just rather not do that.

So, any ideas out there about this prospective HD600 - Headsix marriage? And if you think it would suck, any further headphone suggestions, which could successfully be powered by the Headsix ? Thanks!!!

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 33
If I were into 80s rock and folk, the HD600 is probably one of the last headphones I would get.
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 33
While I have never heard any of their headphones, it seems that from reading these forums, Grado has your new headphone waiting for you. For $300 you can get the SR325is.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 33
80s rock: fun, bouncy, synth-based (or hair-metally), forward, lively

hd600: laid-back, muted, neutral/dull, non-lively

yep, sounds like the perfect match.
tongue.gif

Since you ask for other suggestions, grados are a better choice, imho. 225is would probably be a good choice.

P.S. Even if HD600s were a good match for those genres, I doubt the Headsix would be able to power them sufficiently.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 33
Grados are like ketchup, they make all sorts of junk food taste eatable.

HD600 on the other hand is like a fine wine which goes well with only the most subtle of dishes.

lol

/i really like grados.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 33
Userlander - point taken. Here's the deal - I just don't want a headphone that's going to box me into my tastes right now. I'd rather something that will do everything really well than something that will mainly do rock/folk, albeit in an excellent fashion. All in all, I'm looking for a headphone that's going to last me a lifetime...I thought the HD600 might have been just that, but I'm not married to it...

I had thought about the Grado SR325is but I have concerns about comfort...

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 33
As much as HD600 is a brilliant headphone, they have been my reference for years, but K701 betters them in many ways. Sound stage, presentation, and K701/2 simply does everything that HD600 did with a lot more authority and 'better'.

When it comes to amp for K701, its tricky but as long as you get an amp which outputs 3-4v and it sounds neutral you're all set.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 33
I cannot wholeheartedly recommend the K701/702 for rock. While they do very vell with psychedelic and progressive, with most other kinds of rock they sound too airy IMO, due to their enourmous soundstage. On the other side, some 80s stuff, like glam rock, might benefit from that.

I agree with userlander that you should try some Grados, either the SR225i or the SR325i(s). They are uncomfortable though.

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
80s rock: fun, bouncy, synth-based (or hair-metally), forward, lively

hd600: laid-back, muted, neutral/dull, non-lively

yep, sounds like the perfect match.
tongue.gif

Since you ask for other suggestions, grados are a better choice, imho. 225is would probably be a good choice.

P.S. Even if HD600s were a good match for those genres, I doubt the Headsix would be able to power them sufficiently.

I listen to 80s alternative and folk. The HD-600 is wonderful for those genres, as well as just about anything else you throw at them. The HD-600 was one of very, very few "all around" headphones I've owned. They're not as good as the HD-800, so I didn't keep both around. But if I were on a strict budget or had to downsize, the HD-600 is the one I think I'd keep.

If you think the HD-600 is dull, muted, etc., you obviously haven't heard them on a proper amplifier. Amp them correctly and they sound almost like electrostats.

I agree that the HeadSix won't power the HD-600. I owned the HeadSix at one time and never put more than a few hours on it before I sold or traded it. It's weak and disappointing.

Also, the K-701 is a poor choice for folk, or anything where vocals are important. The K-701 get a lot of attention because it is the least expensive "flagship" headphone on the market and a lot of new members buy it as their first good headphone. However, those who own several other headphones - especially the older AKG models - consider the K-701 a step down from the K-501/K-1000 days. I don't think I've ever seen a K-501 diehard who actually liked the K-701. I find it tonally off in the vocal range, which is completely unacceptable. A number of others find the same, as well. The problem is that most of those recommending these phones haven't listened to many other headphones and they tend to drown out those who find the K-701 fatally flawed and unlistenable.

Another option would be the Beyerdynamic DT880. It's a terrific headphone and one that I enjoyed greatly while I owned it.

If the OP is looking for an inexpensive amp, take a look at vintage receivers. They work well and you might have an old one in the garage that you can use for free. They're a great choice for keeping costs down.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 33
i have the HD600 and i'm very pleased with them for a wide variety of music, including 80's rock.

i'm amping mine with a little dot mkIII and there seems to be a wonderful synergy between them, which is not surprising considering that sword yang, the LD designer, uses the 600/650 to voice his amps.

best of all, the mkIII is only about $30 more than the headsix, offers 4 gain settings and best of all, the chance to customize the sound by upgrading the tubes.

i've listened to a wide variety of music with my HD600's and they truly are a great all-around headphone. i have yet to listen to a particular genre and think "well, that really doesn't work." other headphones may be better at reproducing certain styles...but for the money, i'm exceedingly pleased with the HD600.

it's open and breezy, balanced and smooth. the addition of the LD has warmed up the sound and added a bit more depth and punch to the lower end. i listened to other head-fi members in choosing my components and i'm very happy with how it all turned out. hope you will be as well....

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 33
How about the LD mkV? Anyone know if they synergize well with the HD600? I'm thinking about getting the hd600 or 580.

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 33
Glad to see there are so many HD600 fans. But the fact is they won't be as good for 80s rock (or any rock) as a nice pair of Grados will be. Folk might be a different story, as it will be more of a matter of preference regarding how you like acoustic material presented. But Grados will win for most all rock. Sorry about that.
smily_headphones1.gif

I see, however (as I suspected
wink.gif
), that the OP actually has already made up his mind and was just looking for someone to confirm his choice, however wrong it might be. So please, by all means - disregard any other suggestions, however much better they might be with the genres in question, and go with what you've already decided. You won't really be happy with anything else once your mind is already made up for a particular headphone.

Mar 22, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by drandall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have the HD600 and i'm very pleased with them for a wide variety of music, including 80's rock.

i'm amping mine with a little dot mkIII and there seems to be a wonderful synergy between them, which is not surprising considering that sword yang, the LD designer, uses the 600/650 to voice his amps.

best of all, the mkIII is only about $30 more than the headsix, offers 4 gain settings and best of all, the chance to customize the sound by upgrading the tubes.

i've listened to a wide variety of music with my HD600's and they truly are a great all-around headphone. i have yet to listen to a particular genre and think "well, that really doesn't work." other headphones may be better at reproducing certain styles...but for the money, i'm exceedingly pleased with the HD600.

it's open and breezy, balanced and smooth. the addition of the LD has warmed up the sound and added a bit more depth and punch to the lower end. i listened to other head-fi members in choosing my components and i'm very happy with how it all turned out. hope you will be as well....

X2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back