HD598 vs. K601: how deep are the cups?
Aug 27, 2012 at 9:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Arisha

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

At the moment I'm using a pair of AKG K530, but I want to buy new headphones soon. The main pronlem I'm having is, I seem to have pretty big ears, that do stick out. So my ears touch the driver, what gets really painful after some time.

The headphones I'm interested in are Senheiser HD598 and AKG K601 as both of hem seem to have rather large earpads.
Since I don't have any local shop where i could test them and I couldn't find the actual size online I came here to ask you:

Could anyone tell me how "deep" the cups of the mentioned headphones are?
My K530 has earpads that seem to be around 19-20mm in thickness, but I guess evey single additional mm would mean a lot more comfort.

If those 2 headohones are no improvement as of size: How about Beyer's DT990 pro - are they any bigger?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Aug 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Comfort has always been a high priority for me, ever since I tried my first "high quality" headphones, the Sony MDR-V6.  My ears stick out a bit, and I've always had comfort as a concern.  I've owned both the K601s and the HD 598s and while I can't tell you exact depths, I can assure you that both are very comfortable, and I didn't have issues with ear-driver contact in either headphone.  The 598's pads might be slightly thinner, but I believe they have angled drivers, so in comparison with the K601s, the difference becomes negligible.  The K601s are slightly more comfortable, due to their lighter weight and lighter clamp.  They are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  Hope this helps.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 6
this isn't exact as i only used my thumb as a measuring tool, but on the akg 601's, from driver to the edge of pad its about 1 inch, give or take, i dont think you run a real risk of your ears touching anything, also x2 what the guy above me said on comfort, these things are 2nd to none

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Thank you very much.

@Marximus:
Since you say, your ears also stick out, you probably know exactly what I´m talking about.
Also it´s very nice to hear, that both are deep enough for your ears and offer good comfort.

@Dutchi MerenGue
1 Inch would be a really gret improvement and surely fit my ears.

But I´d like to get some "actual measurements" on the HD598 too, since from what I´ve read i think they are easier to drive and should perform better with "normal qualitiy" records. Also, from the images I´ve seen, they just look fantastic.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 6
If you're looking for something slightly cheaper and with more punch, you might look into the Philips Citiscape Uptowns.  They also have very deep cups and angled drivers, and sound great.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for giving an alternative, but it seems they are not available at the shops (I don´t live in the U.S.) I´d like to order from.
So it will most certainly come down to HD598 vs. K601
As for the depth of the 598´s cups, I just saw there is a whole Thread just for HD598-related discussion, so I´ll just post my question there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back