HD598 to HD650 or Amp up?
Mar 10, 2012 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

TK277

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! I've lurked this web site many times and after weeks of reading, I settled on a pair of Sennheiser HD598's about 4 months ago, having previously owned Sennheiser PX 200 II headphones (I thought I was blown away then, but after the HD598s those are nearly unbearable now). I have not regretted the decision to purchase the HD598's one bit!

Nonetheless, I have saved up more money, about $500, and could spend up to $600 max, hoping I could upgrade even further. I love almost everything about the 598's. My only qualm is the lack of bass with the exception of certain mp3s I have. Maybe it's the recordings, maybe it's the headphones, I'm not sure. For example, Linkin Park's Meteora CD sounds fantastic, as do the latest Thousand Foot Krutch tracks. All other tracks I've been listening to lack the bass I'd like, a problem I had with the PX 200s. I do however love the clarity and tightness of drum hits and whatnot. Hard Rock is only 20 to 25% of the music I listen to, the rest being indie rock, orchestral, electronic, video game, and pop music, and a little rap thrown in occasionally. My experience with audio equipment is lacking... So, I'm curious if there is a pair of headphones out there within my budget to get me even more detail in my music with more bass (without sounding muddy) or if I should invest into an amp (and if so, which one). I've got a FiiO E5 headphone amp that I use with my iPhone. I do not use any of the EQ settings on the amp because I dislike the sound distortion. I only use it to drive the volume up on the iPhone. Otherwise, I'm just using the headphone jack in my mid 2009 Macbook Pro. If the verdict is to just buy an amp, I'm not looking to spend more than $300. Realistically, I don't want to spend more than $200 on one, but if the audio quality is worth it, I could make a leap of faith. I was looking into the HD650, but have doubts as to if I'd like the coloration or could power it properly without a better amp.

Thanks in advance!

tldr; I have a pair of HD598's and I'm seeking advice on finding a pair of headphones with more clarity and bass for about $500. So far, I'm interested in the HD650s.

Mar 10, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #2 of 12
It's possible to power the HD650 adequately (though not ideally) with a 2-300$ amp, and that would likely be a significant upgrade from the HD598 especially in the bass department. That would outperform what you can squeeze out of the 598s with any amp, IMO.

Another possibility would be one of the mid-range Grados, specifically for your needs of "detailed, with bigger bass".

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 12
HD 598 ----->>>> HE-500. You get everything you love about the HD 598, at a higher level.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 12
Well, the 598 are great at the mids and highs but they are not bass cans. But neither are the 650's. They are more about accuracy and what they do they do very well. Many that have the 650's would say that have plenty of bass, which is true...for the bass they are looking for. It sounds like you may be more of a bass head than you think. 

I had a pair of 598 for a few months. To me they were all treble and mids. With the right recording they did have some bass. Now that sound signature is very different from my Denon 2000's. Have you tried these. The presence of bass is often too much for the 6xx crowd but to me they are more fun to listen to sometimes. They don't beat the 6xx series on "clarity" as you call it but they are still very good in the mids and highs...

good luck!!

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 12
A Fiio E5 won't bring out everything in the HD 598s. I say get a better amp. A lot of people are loving the E7/E9 combo. Or better yet, get a Fiio E17 which will defo fully power the HD598s.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 12
The bass on the d2k is very impactful and more prominent than on the hd6xx line. Personally, I like it. Also I find the treble more sparkly than the hd line also. Never too bright for me though.

Mar 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 12
There's a spike at 80hz up to 275ohm on the HD-598 and maybe the E5 is hurting the bass. Highly unlikely, but you never know.

The HD-600 really doesn't have much more bass than the 598 as I originally thought. I don't know how an HD-600 could satisfy anyone that wants more bass that what the 598 provides.

If you upgrade to the HD-600 and HD-650 you will probably miss the forward mids of the HD-598. The HD-600 and HD-650 just did not have very engaging mids to me.

What's funny is that I finally found a combination that might top of the 598 as my favorite sennheiser. I only like the HD-600 with a DHC cable.

With stock cable it bores me to death. If you compare both stock and DHC, there's better sub-bass with the DHC and what seems like more forward mids.
Clearer sound too with a lot more detail. It's signature (with DHC) is very similar to the 598, but with more bass, similar engaging and forward mids, but more forward upper mids.

I've been loving this HD-600 ever since I got a Double Helix cable. It's soundstage is probably still a bit smaller than the 598, but it may finally top my 598.

With stock cable there's no way despite the HD-600 being technically better.

Best deal ever would be a used HD-600 (or $160 HD-580 with $12 grills) and a DIY/premade DHC wire cable. Once you do that you still come under the retail price of the HD-600. $399 for the HD-600 now apparently. What a joke! ANY cheap wire that's not too warm would be an update from stock. I suggest Belden 1192A.

I find it amusing how cables make no difference yet this one goes as far as making me love a headphone. Guess it's all in my head huh?
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
There's a spike at 80hz up to 275ohm on the HD-598 and maybe the E5 is hurting the bass.

The E5 has very low output impedance, so that is probably not an issue. Although the impedance peak does result in a mid-bass boost on some other sources with high output impedance. Also, the E5 slightly rolls off the sub-bass (~-3 dB at 20 Hz) regardless of what it is driving.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 12
Yeah you might want the HE-500 instead.  The HD650, despite its frequency chart, isn't that bass heavy at all.  If anything it's just mid centric.  It has some nice mid-bass when called for, but still doesn't dig too terribly deep.

Mar 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #11 of 12
HE-500 has definitely caught my attention too. I think I'll have to try and find a local store, maybe Best Buy, that carries a few of these models and just try 'em out. Thanks for all of the input.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Hi TK277,
 Before rushing on and changing good headphones, Sennheiser are notorious for long burn in. They get better with time. I don't know how your running them, but they also like a bit more juice than the players alone can normally manage, and burn in quicker with higher volumes.

I build my own amps, so cannot recommend any, except that I do suggest a good little headphone amp. You will most likely need one for any good headphones anyway, and the difference in sound with good impedance matching and a 'power to spare' amplifier can (and will I am sure) make all the difference.

With that in mind; I might suggest a good investment, before changing your already good headphones, is a good amp to drive them properly. As already said, you will almost certainly need a good amp for any good headphones.

Regards
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back