HD598,Momentum, Other.
Sep 5, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #46 of 72
  B is a clear indication that you like high impedance neutral or even bright sounding headphones.  If my guess is right, you may like the Untrasone Edition 10.

neutrality is the first thing I listen for,absolutely....Im willing to give headphones a very small margin of coloration one way or the other,but not much.

Not a big fan of bright headphones really...The main reason I like the T1s so much is its !.sounstage and 2. ability to sound good with a variety of different genres,but I have heard them sound too bright on some SS desk amps...

Dont think I have demo'd those Ultrasones yet,I kinda wrote Ultrasones off after hearing the 900s thump my skull into oblivion

EDIT: Wait did you just recommend a 2800.00 pair of headphones to me?!?

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #47 of 72
But again not all headphones from the same brand sounds the same, and I do think your neutral is more towards bright than what most of us think, so give it a try if you can.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #48 of 72
  But again not all headphones from the same brand sounds the same, and I do think your neutral is more towards bright than what most of us think, so give it a try if you can.

No chance man..ignorance is bliss...Ive been sitting right next to a pair of broken-in Abyss,connected to an amp that is worthy of a place in the Museum of Modern Art and I had ZERO interest in hearing them....

To me the T1s are for the moment the upper ceiling price wise that I would even consider.....

As I said,ignorance is bliss! 

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #49 of 72
Well you can always just test drive it and buy used.

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #50 of 72
Sep 5, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #51 of 72
Sep 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #52 of 72
I do not want all of my headphones to be neutral. I like variety. To be sure, HD 598 and 650 are the favorites I have heard, But I like my Panasonic hp7s too.

I draw the line at overly bright headphones. My Grado SR 125s are shrill with treble. I did get the Zonk earpads to replace the bowls which help with the shrillness a little, but it makes the sound muddier too.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #53 of 72
Remember, if you found a set of cans or IEMs you like but too bright but want to keep, adding an high impedance adapter will help level it out.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #54 of 72
As of right now I am stuck between the Vmodas and Momentums.

This is how I see it.

Vmoda M-100:
-Built like a tank/Well made.
-Heavy on the bass end.
-Look great. Not sure if I would want the custom plates though.

Sennheiser Momentum:
- They look very good especially the black ones.
- More neutral sound compared to the M-100.
-Very light and made out of very nice material.(leather, Stainless steel.

I am slightly leaning towards the Momentums because I have heard many people say that the M-100s have fairly reccesed mids and forward bass and treble. I think I might prefer a more neutral sound since the music I listen too isn't as bass heavy.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that the M-100s are folding and have a smaller case while the Momentums don't fold and have a large case. This concerns me cause I do plan on carrying these headphones around with me and I would prefer something more compact but if the Momentums are better in terms of sound then i will just deal with it lol.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #55 of 72
The only truly down side that is rarely mentioned for the Momentum is that it's cable is custom (2.5mm with a lock on the headphone end), so it is rather difficult to find 3rd party replacement.  But if you are careful with it you should be fine.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #56 of 72
  The only truly down side that is rarely mentioned for the Momentum is that it's cable is custom (2.5mm with a lock on the headphone end), so it is rather difficult to find 3rd party replacement.  But if you are careful with it you should be fine.

Thanks for all the help man!!!!! I've done a lot of research and thanks to you and everyone else I think I have decided to go with the Momentum.

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #57 of 72
  Thanks for all the help man!!!!! I've done a lot of research and thanks to you and everyone else I think I have decided to go with the Momentum.

No problem, best to get it from a place that you can easily return just in case.

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #59 of 72

well you diffidently have me convinced to put the m-100s on the "considering list". Are there any other headphones I should check out?

At the $300-$350 range the top dogs in my opinion are: M-100, Momentum, AKG K550, and of course the Mad Dog.  Some recommend the KEF M500 and Philips Fidelio X1 too.  Also check out the Sony MDR-1R and Beyerdynamics DT1350 at $200 level (both original MSRP at $300.)

I own the X1 and can vouch its fantastic. Demo'd the AKG K550 in a best buy today (was looking for momentums) And unless theres something im just not getting about them I felt they were total garbage, like zero bass (as in literally none present). Now this may be that they were not being amped in which case they may sound like total crap and be a different story when amped. im not familiar enough with the k550 to know how much Amping affects them. The cup seal on the head was not very good ( i think this is a known issue).

I'm in a toss up right now between the HD598 and momentum right now and also vmoda m-100. Leaning heavily to the 598 for the good mids and super comfort. Momentum I'm sure sound fantastic but I think my plan will be to go HD 598 to suppliment my good bass cans the x1's for now and then m-100 later for mobile usage and "just for fun"

Don't know if that contributes to the convo going on at all but thats where im at right now :D

EDIT: posted my above response before I got completely done with the thread lol, guess I missed the party by a few days. :rolleyes:

Sep 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #60 of 72
I own the X1 and can vouch its fantastic. Demo'd the AKG K550 in a best buy today (was looking for momentums) And unless theres something im just not getting about them I felt they were total garbage, like zero bass (as in literally none present). Now this may be that they were not being amped in which case they may sound like total crap and be a different story when amped. im not familiar enough with the k550 to know how much Amping affects them. The cup seal on the head was not very good ( i think this is a known issue).

I'm in a toss up right now between the HD598 and momentum right now and also vmoda m-100. Leaning heavily to the 598 for the good mids and super comfort. Momentum I'm sure sound fantastic but I think my plan will be to go HD 598 to suppliment my good bass cans the x1's for now and then m-100 later for mobile usage and "just for fun"

Don't know if that contributes to the convo going on at all but thats where im at right now
biggrin.gif

EDIT: posted my above response before I got completely done with the thread lol, guess I missed the party by a few days.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the opinion man. I'm pretty set on getting the momentums but I'm still possibly considering getting the hd598s since they are cheaper and I could use the money towards a better guitar amp(which I am also in the market for).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back