HD598,Momentum, Other.
Sep 3, 2013 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Kitten Mitten

New Head-Fier
Iv'e been wanting to get a decent pair of headphones for a while. I'm considering either the Sennheiser HD598's or possibly the Sennheiser Momentums. I also like the HD558s. Im open to really any suggestions though.

I listen to metal/rock.(Tool, Pantera, Metallica, Nirvana, ect.)

I would prefer the headphones to these qualities.

- Around 300 no more than 350
- Does not require any sort of amp.( will work fine with an ipod or cd player)
- I would prefer the headphones to come with a case but if it doesn't ill probably just by a case for them any ways.

Sep 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 72
You should also consider the V-MODA M-100.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 72
  how do your b&w p5s compare to the m100s and momentums?

Not exactly comfortable after an hour or 2, and I can wear both M-100 and Momentum pass 6+ hours.  Sound wise the P5 bass is really strong with good trebles, but the mids are really recessed compare to the M-100 and even more so for the Momentum.  Knowing what I know now, I probably would not have gotten my P5, even though I love the sound of most B&W products, especially my MM-1.  Package and useability wise the M-100 wins hands down with much wider sound stage and defused bass compare to the Momentum.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #7 of 72
You should also consider the V-MODA M-100.

demo'd the V-MODA M100 vs. the KEF500 today and much preferred the KEF over the V-Moda in every way shape or form...the signature of the 100s didnt do rock music justice at all,in fact the only type of music I liked w/ the 100s were deep trance and even then,the bass was so thumping I couldnt really crank it up without giving myself a headache...maybe im getting old :) 

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 72
   demo'd the V-MODA M100 vs. the KEF500 today and much preferred the KEF over the V-Moda in every way shape or form...the signature of the 100s didnt do rock music justice at all,in fact the only type of music I liked w/ the 100s were deep trance and even then,the bass was so thumping I couldnt really crank it up without giving myself a headache...maybe im getting old :)

Sure, but if that's the case, I am interesting to see what you think of the B&O H6 if you can go demo it.

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 72
  Sure, but if that's the case, I am interesting to see what you think of the B&O H6 if you can go demo it.

I dont think Ive seen them around to check out.I failed to mention that I also demo'd the Sennheiser Momentum today as well and thoroughly hated them except for on a couple acoustic songs...way too "blah" for rock music IMO,and I love the HD600s too!

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #10 of 72

DrSheep can you give me some idea of what advantages/disadvantages the H6 has over the KEF500s for classic rock/hard rock/trance/reggae,if its significant I will go pound pavement tomorrow and check em out...thanks!

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #11 of 72
  DrSheep can you give me some idea of what advantages/disadvantages the H6 has over the KEF500s for classic rock/hard rock/trance/reggae,if its significant I will go pound pavement tomorrow and check em out...thanks!

I am not recommending the H6 over the KEF500, but I need a more accurate reference of your taste.  I persanally think that the Momentum and W4R is already more toward the neutral side, but a lot of people think the H6 is neutral which I don't agree but it might work for you.  I know it is super confortable with good mids and highs, too bad that I have no idea what the KEF M500 sounds like, or else I might able to save you the leg work.  Still recommend for you to at least try the H6 out and let me know what you think.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 72
  I am not recommending the H6 over the KEF500, but I need a more accurate reference of your taste.  I persanally think that the Momentum and W4R is already more toward the neutral side, but a lot of people think the H6 is neutral which I don't agree but it might work for you.  I know it is super confortable with good mids and highs, too bad that I have no idea what the KEF M500 sounds like, or else I might able to save you the leg work.  Still recommend for you to at least try the H6 out and let me know what you think.

Im not too good putting my ears into words,but I will try...The KEF-500s sounded very neutral to me(not HD600 neutral mind you)but neutral.It didnt fail at any type of music I threw at it...but it didnt blow me away in anything either....but Id rather it perform well with a multiple of genres than have it excel in one or 2 areas and fail in others.

They were very easy to drive and with an amp/DAC they sounded even better.The bass was a little light for my tastes,but what was there sounded quality and tight.

I just read the H6 thread and a few owers said the bass drum sounded like it was hitting paper,and if thats the case then it wouldnt interest me at all.

Sep 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 72
  I just read the H6 thread and a few owers said the bass drum sounded like it was hitting paper,and if thats the case then it wouldnt interest me at all.

That's my impression too, but whenever I bring this up, other seems to think I am crazy, and this is why I need your opinion on this.

Sep 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 72
  That's my impression too, but whenever I bring this up, other seems to think I am crazy, and this is why I need your opinion on this.

It seems none of the 3 shops here in Bangkok that carry gear have this headphone on their "For Sale" list,so im guessing I would have to go into a B&O shop and they certainly wouldnt be offering any portable amp/dacs to try them out with.

I can tell you however that the KEFs did not have that weak of bass at all...they were very tight and clear,just add a tiny bit more thump and I'd be in heaven! You should give them a try out and see what you think.

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 72
Can't you bring your own DAC/AMP for the H6 test?  I did it, but I am in the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back