HD598,Momentum, Other.
Sep 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #32 of 72
  I don't know much about headphones but what does a higher ohm exactly mean?

Higher the ohms, harder to drive and more difficult to make them sound good with out a good amp.  Why else whould people having such a hard time looking for amps for their Sennheiser HD800?

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #33 of 72
  Higher the ohms, harder to drive and more difficult to make them sound good with out a good amp.  Why else whould people having such a hard time looking for amps for their Sennheiser HD800?

Well im planning on using whatever headphones I get with an ipod so I should try and find something with a low amount of ohms?

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #34 of 72
  The Momentum is only 18 ohms vs. 32 of the M-100.  But if you think their bass is too hard, then you need to look for something more neutral.  I guess other Sennheiser or something with higher impedance will be better for you.

Demo'd the M-100 thru the HiFi M8 today...had bass set on minimum and it did tame the M-100s thump ever so slightly but the mids are still too recessed compared the KEF's

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #35 of 72
Sep 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #37 of 72
  So does this mean I should go for the momentums? Or can an ipod handle the m100s or perhaps a 50ohm headphone?

The Momentums sounded horrid straight through my Ipod,sounded nearly equally bad amped up with The Sony PHA-A1

Both the M-100s and KEF500s did well w/o amp...I guess it just depends on what sound youre going for...100s have more thump and recessed mids(vocals,guitars)

500s had less thump,but tighter bass...nice mids,slightly less treble than the M-100s,which tend to sound harsh to me due to a lack of mids...

The KEF500s are the best sounding closed headphone I've heard  

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #38 of 72
  Well im planning on using whatever headphones I get with an ipod so I should try and find something with a low amount of ohms?

Yes, try to stay under 32 ohms, and most IEMs and consumer grade headphones will be.

Demo'd the M-100 thru the HiFi M8 today...had bass set on minimum and it did tame the M-100s thump ever so slightly but the mids are still too recessed compared the KEF's

I believe that.

The Momentums sounded horrid straight through my Ipod,sounded nearly equally bad amped up with The Sony PHA-A1

I think something is wrong with the ones you were testing, as there is no way the Momentum, let alone amped with the PHA-1 will sound bad.

So does this mean I should go for the momentums? Or can an ipod handle the m100s or perhaps a 50ohm headphone?

Both the M-100 and Momentum will work, and 50 ohms is a bit high for my taste.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #39 of 72

I think something is wrong with the ones you were testing, as there is no way the Momentum, let alone amped with the PHA-1 will sound bad.

Perhaps...I will see if the other shop I go to has them for demo,try to pair them up with the M8....if that cant make them sound good then I give up

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #40 of 72
  Perhaps...I will see if the other shop I go to has them for demo,try to pair them up with the M8....if that cant make them sound good then I give up

Try it unamp first.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #41 of 72
The Momentum sounds great with an iPod. It is not as loud on my iPod as my Noontec Zoro HD, but it sounds better.

I think the Momentum is an awesome well-built classy headphone, And it sounds great with all kinds of music. There is nearly no distortion at all even when you have it cranked up all the way, Which I cannot say the same about my Zoros.

If you're a bass head, or if you have extra big ears, then I would shop around a little.

By the way, the HD 598 sounds fantastic right out of an iPad or an iPad mini or a laptop. But you will need a portable amplifier if you use it with your cell phone In my view

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #42 of 72
Anyone who says the Momentum sounds horrid has A. Never heard the Momentum or B. Hates Sennheiser or C. Has a lousy source. Or D. Has cruddy MP3s, E. Is jealous that he does not have one, or F. Is lying. I have not read a single professional review which suggests the Momentum sounds horrid under any circumstances.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #43 of 72
Anyone who says the Momentum sounds horrid has A. Never heard the Momentum B. Hates Sennheiser C. Has a lousy source. D. Has cruddy MP3s, E. Is lying. I have not read a single professional review which suggests the momentum sounds horrid under any circumstances.

darthsmile.gif

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #44 of 72
Anyone who says the Momentum sounds horrid has A. Never heard the Momentum or B. Hates Sennheiser or C. Has a lousy source. Or D. Has cruddy MP3s, E. Is jealous that he does not have one, or F. Is lying. I have not read a single professional review which suggests the Momentum sounds horrid under any circumstances.

I guess im the exception to the rule
a....have heard it
b....Love the HD600 and 650s
c....source is Ipod ,works fine for every other HP
d....MP3? ALAC...not cruddy,and again sound fine with other testing
e....not jealous,was hoping to like it cuz im getting ready to buy a portable setup shortly
f...no reason to lie,just reporting what I heard

Im willing to give it another day in court at a different shop,but thus far from what ive heard I was not impressed at all

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #45 of 72
  I guess im the exception to the rule
a....have heard it
b....Love the HD600 and 650s
c....source is Ipod ,works fine for every other HP
d....MP3? ALAC...not cruddy,and again sound fine with other testing
e....not jealous,was hoping to like it cuz im getting ready to buy a portable setup shortly
f...no reason to lie,just reporting what I heard

Im willing to give it another day in court at a different shop,but thus far from what ive heard I was not impressed at all

B is a clear indication that you like high impedance neutral or even bright sounding headphones.  If my guess is right, you may like the Untrasone Edition 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back