HD595?
Dec 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

beachbum1212

New Head-Fier
So I have been researching headphones nonstop and it's starting to drive me insane because every time I find a pair I like, someone points out something like they leak alot, fall off easily, etc that turns me off of them.

I need something that will stay on my head, not leak THAT much, sounds good with modern rock (alot of dave matthews), as well as decent with rap/hip-hop and gaming. Price range is around $200

I have looked over the HD595s and it's starting to look like this might be it. Just wanted to get more opinions from people who actually know what they're doing.
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 23
The HD595 is an open air headphone so it will definitely leak sound. Also if you are using a portable source such as an ipod I just wanted to note that the cord of the 595's terminates into the 1/4" plug so you will have to use the 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 23
For cans that cost $200 and don't require an amp, the HD595s are fantastic. I think you'll really enjoy them with modern rock (including Dave Matthews), but you'll probably find them a bit lacking for hip-hop/rap — the low end is articulate, but they'll have a lot of trouble hitting the sub-bass notes you'll be looking for in that genre. I can't really comment on gaming.

As for leakage, it's what's to be expected with open headphones. There's no way around that.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by neel360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For cans that cost $200 and don't require an amp, the HD595s are fantastic. I think you'll really enjoy them with modern rock (including Dave Matthews), but you'll probably find them a bit lacking for hip-hop/rap — the low end is articulate, but they'll have a lot of trouble hitting the sub-bass notes you'll be looking for in that genre. I can't really comment on gaming.

As for leakage, it's what's to be expected with open headphones. There's no way around that.

similar option that would be closed?

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 23
Two great closed options for this price range would be the Denon D2000 or the Shure SRH840. For the Shures, you'll have to employ Google or wait for another response, as I've never heard them.

I can speak for the Denons though. They are "similar" to the HD595s really only in that they are of a similar price range. The sound of the D2000 is of an entirely different type, though. It's really impossible to say anything about these cans without mentioning the bass response. Whereas the HD595 can struggle with the sub-bass, sometimes you can almost feel the bass with these cans. Some people think that out of the box, the bass is almost muddy, and I can see where they're coming from.

That said, I still feel like the detail isn't lost with these headphones as it can be when the bass is so prominent. Ultimately, these will probably be a great match with your hip-hop/rap.

These might also be the most commonly modded cans I've seen on the forums as well (many people go with the "markl" upgrade, which is a recabling job and a modification to the earcups), so down the line, if you feel the need to upgrade, these have some scalability.

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #6 of 23
Shure 440 might do the trick for you, if you can get a good deal on one there is the 840 which will have better bass.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
Is the bass not that great on the 595's or is it just neutral and unhyped?

I'm not great with audiophile terms, so I'll just say that I need to EQ my HD595's to get any solid bass to come out of them.  The bass they produce when EQ'd is pretty good, however don't expect copious amounts of bass quantity - they will surely distort at high (but not uncomfortable) volume levels when bass is pushed (such as bass tests or hard hitting basses in films/games).

So, yes, in a way, they are kind of neutral and unhyped bass-wise.  Great phones for the price though.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 23

neel360 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two great closed options for this price range would be the Denon D2000 or the Shure SRH840. For the Shures, you'll have to employ Google or wait for another response, as I've never heard them.

I can speak for the Denons though. They are "similar" to the HD595s really only in that they are of a similar price range. The sound of the D2000 is of an entirely different type, though. It's really impossible to say anything about these cans without mentioning the bass response. Whereas the HD595 can struggle with the sub-bass, sometimes you can almost feel the bass with these cans. Some people think that out of the box, the bass is almost muddy, and I can see where they're coming from.

That said, I still feel like the detail isn't lost with these headphones as it can be when the bass is so prominent. Ultimately, these will probably be a great match with your hip-hop/rap.

These might also be the most commonly modded cans I've seen on the forums as well (many people go with the "markl" upgrade, which is a recabling job and a modification to the earcups), so down the line, if you feel the need to upgrade, these have some scalability.

Many thanks to your description! Now I got it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 23

No. and No.

They are open headphones.  If people are sitting near you, you will piss them off.

For hip hop, let me clarify:
How do you listen to music now?  Is it thru iPod buds?  Then the bass will be amazing.
Do you have woofers in your car? Then no the bass will be absolutely non-existent.

Quote:
I need something that will ... not leak THAT much, ... decent with rap/hip-hop...

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 23
They leak a fair amount of sound, but the bass on these will probably be considered anemic by a fan of rap/hip hop. As far as extension goes, all the way down to 30 Hz is clear with little roll off, around 20 things get fuzzy, plausibly due to recording equipment, I'd need to check again.

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 23
I realised when listening to my 595's just how much bass they were lacking, even sparkly highs were aswell. After a month i couldnt take it any longer and retired them. Look elsewhere for a much fuller sound. M50's im using beat the pants off the 595's and they arnt even burnt in yet!!!

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 23
Of all of the cans that I have heard and based on the requirements that you stated I would look no further then the Beyer DT770/80s.  They will do everything that you have stated are important to you, and do it all pretty well.  The only thing that I think might be an issue is that they sound good unamped however as soon as you hook them up to an amp for the first time you will wonder how you lived without one. 

-Chris

Feb 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #14 of 23
If anyone is still reading this thread, the bass only lacks without an amp.  With an amp, the bass is punchy and has extension.  With a proper amp, you can feel the HD 595s pumping sound into your head.  It is a pretty awesome feeling.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #15 of 23
Exactly, same thing with the HD598. Why do so many people think only high impedance cans need an amp? What good is a high sound pressure level if not all freqencies are coming through because the built-in amp can't cope with the current swings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back