HD595 wins Hi-Fi Choice Award (again).
Dec 11, 2006 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
I notice the Senn HD595 has won Hi-Fi Choice Best Headphone award this year, for the second time running. Which leads me to reflect yet again on why a headphone that has aroused such controversy here is so well praised elsewhere. Virtually every other comment on the Net, professional or consumer, is positive, yet here opinion seems to be split right down the middle, with some posters actually hating them.

I've had one now for nearly 3 years. I liked it right out of the box. It seemed to me easily Sennheiser's best headphone anywhere below HD650 level, and I'd listened to them all up to the HD600. (Interestingly Hi-Fi Choice claims the 595 almost achieves 650 level at half the price). I confidently expected the postings about it here to reflect my own delight in the product, but that was never the case from the beginning. Some posters, like Snufkin (who's gone on to damn the 595 elsewhere, particularly his own website) clearly couldn't get on with them at all. Others were lukewarm, considering them 'boring', or lacking bass or treble (but never midrange apparently). I found these comments puzzling as what I heard was an extremely well-balanced, neutral headphone that seemed ideal for matching into any system with any music style--a true all-rounder. The smoothest, most detailed phone ever? No, of course not, not at near budget prices, but a very fine compromise that should have disappointed nobody. However, that was not to be, and the controversy goes on to this day.

Lately I've become intrigued by postings about the Audio Technica AD900, and last week decided to order one just to see how it lines up again the 595. I may well be re-selling it, but first I want to know how it compares. I will of course post my impressions, and I think they'll be fair, as I've owned and enjoyed AT phones before, notably the 911. Meantime I'd be interested to read any thoughts on why this site in particular has been so hostile toward the 595, or even if indeed that's a fair statement.

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #3 of 71
No webpage. I actually read the mag.

You know, that tangible thing made of paper.
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 71
The HD-595 won the sub-₤200 category award while the HD-650 won the ₤200+ category award. I believe they are basing that award on bang-per-buck (becuase otherwise the K1000 should have pounced the HD-650).

HFC however, being more stereo speakers-oriented (rather than headphone-), does not have a completely thorough exposure on headphones. I, for one, would love to see how the award changes with the introduction of AKG K601/701 (HFC favors the HD-650 to the Grado SR-325i and HD-595 to the SR-80, so they have Grados covered there).

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #5 of 71
I read Hi Fi magazines from a wide range of countries - UK, US, Japan and Hong Kong. Over the years, I have noticed that their "editor's choice" equipment varies quite a bit. This is sometimes due to availability of some brands, regional preferences, size of the norm house / apartment and bias for specific brands. Most of these magazines (I'm referring to What Hi Fi, Hi Fi Choice, HiVi, Stereophile, etc) don't concentrate on headphones and they seem to have access to very few brands and models. Their reviews of DAPs are also dubious at best - they tend to rave about iPods.

As for the 595, I have had mine for one and a half years, and I loved it straight from the box. Having said that, they're the best cans I have, so I can't really comment about it being the "best". I think they are easy to like in terms of SQ, comfort and easy to drive.

Dec 11, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 71
Not to be an arse here but, look how well CNET reviews the Bose QC2/3s and the Triports...I'm not comparing the HD595s to Bose but I think the same concept applies. More people here have had more experience with more headphones, so comparatively to some, they don't sound as good. I happen to fall under the category of people who dislike the Senn HD5x5 line but as long as it sounds good to you, it shouldn't matter to you how well or poor it is reviewed.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:07 AM Post #9 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually HFC tries hard to make a point that they don't think that much about iPods (and that they are not on the same performance level as stand-alone CDPs - which they are indirectly accusing a rival magazine of doing).

I was making a generalized remark. Hi fi mags do tend to highlight the deficiencies of lossy formats like MP3 which is why most of these mags / reviewers tend to favour the iPod and Apple's Lossless format. I think part of the reason why most mags favour the iPod is the supposed ease of use of the DAP and iTunes. I suppose the target reader is assumed to have little PC knowledge.

Quote:

More people here have had more experience with more headphones, so comparatively to some, they don't sound as good.

I think this is definitely true. I have a wider variety of cans than most people I know, but compared to people here, I have very limited experience. That's maybe why I like the 595
biggrin.gif
. I would really like to get a pair of AT closed cans, a more sophisticated Grado and an another amp though, when I have cash to spare.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #10 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lately I've become intrigued by postings about the Audio Technica AD900, and last week decided to order one just to see how it lines up again the 595. I may well be re-selling it, but first I want to know how it compares. I will of course post my impressions, and I think they'll be fair, as I've owned and enjoyed AT phones before, notably the 911.

They lack quite a bit in the bass dept. (the AD900), I haven't heard the HD595; although do have one on the way, I'd gather they're somewhat similar in sound signature, albeit the AD900 having a bit of a high end, depending on your source/amp. The have a glorious soundstage though; if I could get that long with some serious bass, I would've kept them and left headfi ages ago (yeah right , eh?
tongue.gif
)

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:33 AM Post #11 of 71
The only reason I don't like them is that they only sound great if I move the cups a couple millimeters off my ears. Literally.

Under their normal fit, they sound muffled. This is due to their proximity to my ears and something to do with fit of the cups themselves. If I get rid of any pressure to my ears, the sound clears up significantly and is very neutral.

Just now, using an EQ, I found I can clear up the sound by lowering around the 500hz and 1khz frequencies, and upping around the 4khz and 8khz frequencies. There is still a hint of muffle, but it sounds great.

I don't like having to use an EQ to make a headphone sound good, though.

Edit: I'm talking about the HD595, heh.

Edit 2: And I just went back to the K501 and find myself strongly preferring its sound. I prefer a "clear" sound above most everything else, I guess. I find the K701 to be not clear enough, for instance.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #12 of 71
I fail to see what all the fuss it about with the 595. It's not a terrible headphone, but it's not an especially good one, either. And yet lots of people treat it like the second coming. I assume there is some special trait about the headphone that just escapes me but everyone else 'gets', or something.

Dec 11, 2006 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fail to see what all the fuss it about with the 595. It's not a terrible headphone, but it's not an especially good one, either. And yet lots of people treat it like the second coming. I assume there is some special trait about the headphone that just escapes me but everyone else 'gets', or something.

x2. I think its popularity stems from its good looks and the appeal of the Sennheiser name, especially to headphone newbies. And then once owned, it's easy: flexible for different kinds of music and performs well enough unamped. It doesn't disappoint, it just doesn't excel.

Dec 11, 2006 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 71
Thanks for the information, pp312.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume there is some special trait about the headphone that just escapes me but everyone else 'gets', or something.

Like you said, I guess
tongue.gif

I want an HD595 again.
redface.gif
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back