HD595 vs HD 650
Jan 31, 2007 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ted Goldie

New Head-Fier
I would like to know if there is much difference between the HD 595's and the HD650's. I am going to use these for an Ipod and listening to them through my stereo. My Amp is a Carver which has about 120 watts. It is a good amp. Would a home stereo amp be good enough to power the HD650's. I know they need an amp. When people say they need an amp are they just talking about specific headphone amps? Are the cheaper IBrasso and cMoy amps enough to power the HD650's? I hear there is very little difference between the HD 595's and the HD 650's. Is this really true?
280smile.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 16
In my opinion both sound pretty much the same.And I don't think you need an amp for any of them.My xfi card is more than enough to drive the 650s,for example.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 16
I am trying to make the same decision myself. Just last night, I did a search and came up with lots of threads that cover this, including:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=595+650

...just to name a few. Good luck with your research. Right now, I'm leaning towards the 650's because based on what I've read, it seems that they will complement my Grado RS-1's a bit better.

Barry

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 16
I own both and the difference is everything but small
The HD650 takes everything the HD595 does, and does it better.

The 595 is flatter, with less impact/dynamics, less bass, more treble, more "hollow" sounding and there is definitely a grain in the mids. It's a good can but it is easily outperformed by the 650

The HD650 has more detail, more bass quantity/extension, more dynamics and impact, better treble definition/resolution/extension, fuller sounding mids, no "hollow" feeling, no grain in the mids and a blacker background.
I also find it more involving than the HD595, which I now find a little boring/uninvolving. We're on another league in respect to the HD595's performance.

I amp them with a Ray Samuels "M" Hornet which is really very good at driving both of them.

A cheap basic amp like a cmoy or ibasso is enough to drive the 595 but the 650 needs more serious amps to perform well.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 16
HD650 is definitely a much better headphone. It also really needs a good amp. HD595 doesn't "need" an amp to sound good, but benefits a little from it. The HD650 needs an amp to sound it's best.

I don't know the headphone amp used in your power amp, but considering that these are Sennheisers flagship headphones and considered some of the best dynamic headphones ever, I'd say they deserve a good standalone amp.

Personally, I love my HD600's with the PPAv2 and SOHA, definitely not as much so with the Pimeta and PINT. They don't have the level of detail or impact of the first 2.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Hunter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is exactly the same feeling than I had when I owned HD595 and picked HD650 for an audition.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 16
At todays prices, you can nearly have the HD580 and HD595 for the price of the HD650. Get the combo and use the HD595 for your iPod and the HD580 for your receiver (provided it can power them). You really get the best of both worlds then and can grow both (but especially the 580s) with amp(s) later.

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 16
"At todays prices, you can nearly have the HD580 and HD595 for the price of the HD650. Get the combo and use the HD595 for your iPod and the HD580 for your receiver (provided it can power them). You really get the best of both worlds then and can grow both (but especially the 580s) with amp(s) later."

This is a good point. If you were to get the 580's and with the money you saved by not getting the 650's, you would have money left for a decent headphone amp. Soundwise you would be much further ahead. The 580 will realize much of the quality of the 650's and some even prefer the 580/600's to the 650's.

- augustwest

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

I own both and the difference is everything but small

The 595 is flatter, with less impact/dynamics, less bass, more treble, more "hollow" sounding and there is definitely a grain in the mids. It's a good can but it is easily outperformed by the 650

The HD650 has more detail, more bass quantity/extension, more dynamics and impact, better treble definition/resolution/extension, fuller sounding mids, no "hollow" feeling, no grain in the mids and a blacker background.
I also find it more involving than the HD595, which I now find a little boring/uninvolving. We're on another league in respect to the HD595's performance.

I amp them with a Ray Samuels "M" Hornet which is really very good at driving both of them.

A cheap basic amp like a cmoy or ibasso is enough to drive the 595 but the 650 needs more serious amps to perform well.

I own both and echo what Steve said.

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 16
thing is, if you're not willing to spend money for the HD650 AND another couple hundred dollars for a good amp (maybe even dac), then you should just stick with the hd595.

blessingx has a nice idea of both the hd595 and hd580... i would suggest getting the hd595 first though. if it's not "good enough," come back with your laments and we will gladly help you spend your money elsewhere!
biggrin.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Could you explain what you mean by "grain"? I can figure out most of the audiophile terms I see used on these forums, but this one's puzzling me.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you explain what you mean by "grain"? I can figure out most of the audiophile terms I see used on these forums, but this one's puzzling me.

Grain or graininess describes a courseness of resolution. The opposite of graininess is smoothness.

Look at a magazine ad. A well printed ad will look like a smooth picture, even though you can see the individual pixels that make up the picture if you look through a magnifying glass. With a poorly printed add you can see individual pixels with the naked eye, with the result that the picture looks grainy rather than smooth. Audio is like that, but with ears rather than eyes.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #13 of 16
I was in the same situation. I have no regrets about upgrading...they are completely different headphones with the HD650 being very much superior. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend or do it again.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 16
First time post here.

I have also done the upgrade from 595 to 650. I don't regret it. Did my research on this site and am glad I did.

I'm using an iPod with lossless files and a line out cable to a Headroom Micro Amp with the desktop upgrade.

IMHO, if you don't go with the 650, you will always wonder if you made the right choice. The pain of the cost difference will only hurt for a little while.

Trio

Jan 31, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 16
Yep, I would pick the HD650's over the 595's anyday.

I would recomend an amp for either of them and there are portable and desk-top amps that would work well. Natrually the better the amp the more you will enjoy either pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back