HD595 OR AD700, Yes another thread about these two
Nov 8, 2010 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
So I'm having this big dilemma about the Sennheiser HD595 and the Audio Technica AD700.

I listen to Rock/Metal/Alt rock, etc etc.
They're going to be powered by a Asus Xonar DX 7.1 Soundcard in my rig.
I heard the AD700's had neally no bass and the HD595's have a bit more.
I'm looking for the one that has the best comfort, sound quality and durability.

Cheers

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 8
I dont have the 595s but I foam modded the 555s (same drivers). I have a huge head and the 555s fit fine. I wasnt impressed with them for music. Didnt do anything really bad but nothing that good either.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Wrong forum mate, I will say though, if you've got a small head don't get the ad700, if you have a large head they are comfier than the 595. HD595 is IMO kind of boring for the money.

What do you mean by "Wrong forum" and what do you mean by boring oh and how big is your head as in width, length, etc?

Quote:
I dont have the 595s but I foam modded the 555s (same drivers). I have a huge head and the 555s fit fine. I wasnt impressed with them for music. Didnt do anything really bad but nothing that good either.

How do they sound like, any good or just plain boring or in between?

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 8
I also have the modded 555's. I personally love the sound it produces, although I had them burn in with pink noise for over 100hrs. The only thing it doesnt tend to do too well is the low end, otherwise I love the crispness of the sound (it sounds "tight"). I have never had a problem with comfort, I sometimes forget I'm even wearing them. Although I suppose I could see how they would be uncomfortable if you have ears big enough to touch the speaker wall, but I honestly cant say I have had that issue.
I bought the 555's at electronic expo for $75 about two months ago (coupon codes come and go, so if you live in the US, keep an eye out). Definitely happy with my purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: my ears havent been spoiled much further than my current lineup, so my opinion may change the farther up the ladder I climb
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 8
If your head is not large then the ad700's will sort of just sit on your head, rather than being clamped on.  It's not uncomfortable, but the wings do leave funny looking impressions on your hair if you wear them for a while.  If you move around or shake/bob your head they will also probably fall off.
The ad700's are very airy and the sound sort of floats around you.  I found that a large portion of the sound was quite faint without an amp, like you will hear the sound but it won't be forward enough for you to really feel it.  In my opinion, the Sennheisers (hd555's) were much better unamped.  With an amp the ad700's improved dramatically in my opinion.  Most people will tell you that the ad700's don't need amping but I know for a fact that I can't stand them straight out of my cowon J3 but love them with a total bithead.  The bass is pretty weak but definitely there, don't expect anything boomy or impactful.  

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
What do you mean by "Wrong forum" and what do you mean by boring oh and how big is your head as in width, length, etc?

By wrong forum I assumed you knew these were both full sized headphones. If you're planning on using either of them as portable I can't recommend it, hence this topic should be in the full-size forums, anyway, now it's here, I have a fairly large head and quite like the sound and comfort of the ad700 but the Sennheiser's clamp down harder on the head. I was not saying they are uncomfortable as several people seem to be implying but that if you have a head that suit's the 700's, the are more comfortable. My girlfriend, who, naturally, has a smaller head, couldn't get on with the 700's but liked the 595's. By boring I meant I found them a sound which didn't really excite or inspire me, I went with the AKG's at the time as I found them much nicer and more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back