Hd589 vs q701 vs 240mkii unamped
Jan 11, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 23
yes been done tons of reading... a lot of ppl say they are very analitic and not fun to listen for some reason... how about the HE-300 ? is that a better choice then the Q701 ? as for comfy and sound quality ? im so confused right now...there is like no authority when it comes to headphones, i am now afraid after reading so many ppl saying the Q701 sounds like crap without amp.. :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #17 of 23
I have the K702 and i think q701 and k702 should have the same sound signature. From my experience, K702 shouldn't fit with your musical style because it sounds bright and open but lack of bass. 
I've never heard HD589 and K240 so I am sorry I can't tell the difference for these two.

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
I have the K702 and i think q701 and k702 should have the same sound signature. From my experience, K702 shouldn't fit with your musical style because it sounds bright and open but lack of bass. 
I've never heard HD589 and K240 so I am sorry I can't tell the difference for these two.

The Q701 isn't the same headphone as the K702 or K701 despite common belief, it sounds different and it's not a re-badge, it's been re-tuned. The Q701 has more bass than the K701/702 and aren't as bright sounding either. I wouldn't say the Q701 lacks bass, it has more than the DT 880. Bright is the Beyer DT 880 and DT 990. The HD 598 probably isn't fast and detailed enough for rock, so it will probably just end up okay or meh for rock. The K240 is okay at rock.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:
yes been done tons of reading... a lot of ppl say they are very analitic and not fun to listen for some reason... how about the HE-300 ? is that a better choice then the Q701 ? as for comfy and sound quality ? im so confused right now...there is like no authority when it comes to headphones, i am now afraid after reading so many ppl saying the Q701 sounds like crap without amp.. :frowning2:

There isn't an all-around authority when it comes to headphones, it's more about personal preference. It's a confusing mess and many people make a mistake their first time around. It's something best to try on you're own and figure out your taste. They are probably talking about the K701 and K702, I found the Q701 fun to listen to. Many people have a habit of assuming the K701 and Q701 are the same, but it's like comparing the HD 600 and HD 650, they aren't the same. I don't think the HD-300 is as comfy or has better sound quality, the sound quality is probably around the same or maybe less. The AKG Q701 is a faster and more detailed headphone, something that goes well with rock. They are somewhat bright, but not excessively so. If you were considering the DT 880 and DT 990 I would be concerned about the headphone being too bright but not the Q701. The AKGs sound a little weak, distant, and not as engaging without an amp as I explained earlier, I found them very engaging with an amp. They sound good without an amp, but the reason people say they sound like crap without one is that the Q701 sounds much better with an amp, and they do need one, but they are going to play music fine without one, just not very loudly and they won't quite have the power, range, and dynamics they should have without an amp. This basically applies to any high-end dynamic headphone.

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
There isn't an all-around authority when it comes to headphones, it's more about personal preference. It's a confusing mess and many people make a mistake their first time around. It's something best to try on you're own and figure out your taste. They are probably talking about the K701 and K702, I found the Q701 fun to listen to. Many people have a habit of assuming the K701 and Q701 are the same, but it's like comparing the HD 600 and HD 650, they aren't the same. I don't think the HD-300 is as comfy or has better sound quality, the sound quality is probably around the same or maybe less. The AKG Q701 is a faster and more detailed headphone, something that goes well with rock. They are somewhat bright, but not excessively so. If you were considering the DT 880 and DT 990 I would be concerned about the headphone being too bright but not the Q701. The AKGs sound a little weak, distant, and not as engaging without an amp as I explained earlier, I found them very engaging with an amp. They sound good without an amp, but the reason people say they sound like crap without one is that the Q701 sounds much better with an amp, and they do need one, but they are going to play music fine without one, just not very loudly and they won't quite have the power, range, and dynamics they should have without an amp. This basically applies to any high-end dynamic headphone.

hey KMAN, wanted to say special thank to you for all your help and decent information about those headphones, i was tired of waiting for amazon and some extra shipping and tax and just grabbed them (Q701) in my country (almost twice the price in amazon, but with 2 years warrenty in my country) and i am very very very happy i bought those ! sounds just amazing out of the box, no amp is needed, those cans are AMAZING. changed my whole listening experience, so special thanks for your solid real and not over qualified review and tips :))

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:
hey KMAN, wanted to say special thank to you for all your help and decent information about those headphones, i was tired of waiting for amazon and some extra shipping and tax and just grabbed them (Q701) in my country (almost twice the price in amazon, but with 2 years warrenty in my country) and i am very very very happy i bought those ! sounds just amazing out of the box, no amp is needed, those cans are AMAZING. changed my whole listening experience, so special thanks for your solid real and not over qualified review and tips :))

No problem. I think a lot of people blow some things out of proportions. I'm glad you are happy with the Q701s. They sound great without an amp, especially if you are new to higher-end audio. Amping them just makes them sound better and more musical.
k701smile.gif
I've always liked how AKGs managed to be musical and fun without being aggressive. Something is very pleasing about their midrange.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #22 of 23
how would you describe the change of amped vs unamped ? is the sound quality sounds that much better?  or its a tiny different only audiophile can tell?
also what amp for around 100$ does the job for those headphones ? (and worth that 100$ :) )

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:
how would you describe the change of amped vs unamped ? is the sound quality sounds that much better?  or its a tiny different only audiophile can tell?
also what amp for around 100$ does the job for those headphones ? (and worth that 100$ :) )

Well it's been a while since I heard the Q701s, they are my friends not mine, but what I say basically applies to all headphones. It is quite noticeable to basically anyone who hears it, more power, more control and tighter sound, higher clarity, more detail, better soundstage, etc. It basically improves everything about the sound, I wouldn't say it's a drastic change, but it's a fairly large change. How big the change is depends on both the headphone and amp. Probably the best amp around $100 is the Schiit Magni, but the thing is it only works on countries that have plug-ins(115V) like the US does. Otherwise your best bet for $100 is probably the FiiO E9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back