Hd589 vs q701 vs 240mkii unamped
Jan 8, 2013 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

demontux

Head-Fier
hi all ! im looking to buy a new headphones over the ear.
i have the RE0 and loving them. but i want something for my PC.

i listen mostly to classic rock\rock indie, (neil young, red hot chili peppers, fleetwood mac, eddie veddar, coldplay,  and etc...) did a lot of reading....
and i need your help to decide:

HD598 or AKG 240K MKII or AKG Q701 ?

i want to use them ampless... although i have fiio E5 i dont want to buy expenssive amp or soundcard.. (using  new PC onboard gigabyte Z77X-D3H)
i want a good sounding headphones that will make me feel like im part of the music (using FLAC files only)
:)

also i want to use for long hours of listening so it must be comfterble (those 3 looks comfy)

please help me decide from those 3.. i have a 100$ amazon gift card can add some cash if the change worth the extra :D but i guess around 200$ i can live with that

thanks!!!
looking forward for your help :))

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 23
Both the AKG K240 MKII and the AKG Q701 need to be amped to sound their best, they don't get very loud unamped and the quality just isn't as good when unamped, both are good headphones though. The Senns should be the easiest to power of the three. I haven't listened to the HD 598 so I can't say how good they sound or anything. I know the Q701 is the best of the three and they do sound pretty good unamped but they improve a good deal with amplification. For your use the Senns may be the best bet though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:
Hi all ! im looking to buy a new headphones over the ear.
I have the RE0 and loving them. but i want something for my PC.
I listen mostly to classic rock\rock indie, (neil young, red hot chili peppers, fleetwood mac, eddie veddar, coldplay,  and etc...) did a lot of reading....
I want to use them ampless... although i have fiio E5 i dont want to buy expenssive amp or soundcard.. (using  new PC onboard gigabyte Z77X-D3H)
I want a good sounding headphones that will make me feel like im part of the music (using FLAC files only)
Also i want to use for long hours of listening so it must be comfterble (those 3 looks comfy)
Please help me decide from those 3.. i have a 100$ amazon gift card can add some cash if the change worth the extra
biggrin.gif
but i guess around 200$ i can live with that

Your Gigabyle motherboard uses the VIA audio chipset :frowning2:
Even the Asus Xonar DG ($27, PCI) or DGX ($45, PCI-E) sound card would improve the audio quality of whatever headphones you get.
The DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) on the DG(X) should be a fair bit better then the motherboard's DAC.
The DG(X) comes with a half-way decent headphone amplifier and Dolby Headphone surround sound.

If you do not want to install an internal sound card, the Fiio E10 ($53) USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier would as improve the audio quality of any headphone.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:
hi all ! im looking to buy a new headphones over the ear.
i have the RE0 and loving them. but i want something for my PC.

i listen mostly to classic rock\rock indie, (neil young, red hot chili peppers, fleetwood mac, eddie veddar, coldplay,  and etc...) did a lot of reading....

i want to use them ampless... although i have fiio E5 i dont want to buy expenssive amp or soundcard.. (using  new PC onboard gigabyte Z77X-D3H)
i want a good sounding headphones that will make me feel like im part of the music (using FLAC files only)
smily_headphones1.gif

also i want to use for long hours of listening so it must be comfterble (those 3 looks comfy)

please help me decide from those 3.. i have a 100$ amazon gift card can add some cash if the change worth the extra
biggrin.gif
but i guess around 200$ i can live with that

thanks!!!
looking forward for your help
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Heya,

A simple Asus Xonar DG (PCI, $30) or DGX (PCI-e, $40~50) sound card will let you get a headphone and not worry. Alternatively, look into a simple Fiio E10 usb DAC/AMP (it's an external sound card, basically). Again, it will let you expand your headphone options.

Headphones I would have you look into:

Beyer DT880 PRO
Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer Custom One Pro
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Ultrasone HFI 780
Logitech UE 6000
AKG K167
AKG K550
AKG Q701
Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A900X
AudioTechnica AD900
Hifiman HE-300
Sony MA900

Very best,

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 23
Is the q701 good for long listening ? I have seen ppl complain about them not comfy and the senhieser hd598 praised for being amazingly comfy... Also does the fiio e5 will do the job for the q701 ? I think this via chipset has headphone amp built in. Or investing in the sonar is the best thing ? Please help me out i am confused. I need to choose headphones that will also last for years so durability is also a factor, as for sound quality with simple amp which one is the most fun to listen to in my music geners ? Thanks

Jan 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Heya,

A simple Asus Xonar DG (PCI, $30) or DGX (PCI-e, $40~50) sound card will let you get a headphone and not worry. Alternatively, look into a simple Fiio E10 usb DAC/AMP (it's an external sound card, basically). Again, it will let you expand your headphone options.

Headphones I would have you look into:

Beyer DT880 PRO
Beyer DT770 PRO
Beyer Custom One Pro
Ultrasone HFI 2400
Ultrasone HFI 780
Logitech UE 6000
AKG K167
AKG K550
AKG Q701
Shure SRH840
Brainwavz HM5
AudioTechnica A900X
AudioTechnica AD900
Hifiman HE-300
Sony MA900

Very best,

thanks for your comment, which one of those has the bes value to money, and in terms of built quality comfort and sound quality has the best match for my needs? 

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:
Is the q701 good for long listening ? I have seen ppl complain about them not comfy and the senhieser hd598 praised for being amazingly comfy... Also does the fiio e5 will do the job for the q701 ? I think this via chipset has headphone amp built in. Or investing in the sonar is the best thing ? Please help me out i am confused. I need to choose headphones that will also last for years so durability is also a factor, as for sound quality with simple amp which one is the most fun to listen to in my music geners ? Thanks

Yes the Q701 is good for long listening. I found them incredibly comfortable and I've worn them all day a few times. I used to own the HD 555(which are absolutely terrible imo) which has the same form factor as the HD 598 and yes it was very comfy but I found the Q701 more comfy, the Q701s seem to disappear on my head they were so comfy, the complaint on the Q701 is the bumps on the headband which bother some people but many people it does not bother. Also I found headphones such as the DT 880 and DT 990 more comfortable than the HD 5xx series. Comfort depends on the persons head though. A FiiO E11 or E10 would do a better job than the E5, as the E5, E6, and E7 are quite weak in power. The DT 880 and DT 990 also need an amp. Another headphone to consider is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, it's the bassier, slightly brighter, and more detailed twin of the DT 880, it's also cheaper. The treble may bother some people though, but if the DT 990's treble bothers you, the DT 880 has a good chance of bothering you as well since the DT 880 is almost as bright and shares a similar sound and presentation. The AKG K240 MKII is also a little bright as it shares a very similar frequency response to the DT 990 but the presentation is completely different, whoever says the K240s are dark haven't amped them properly. The treble is tamer and softer than the DT 990 but just as present, but that tameness can go a long way for some. But regardless the K240s treble shouldn't bother you even if the DT 880/990s do as they present it differently. The Q701 has tamer treble than both the K240 and DT 880/990. The DT 880 and 990 are roughly the same quality in sound as the Q701. The Q701 has more bass than the DT 880 but less than the DT 990 and the treble is more pleasing than both DT 880/990 but still has enough to give it a sense of air and life. Senns from my experience with a few exceptions tend to have less treble than neutral. Basically do you want a little sparkle up top to help bring the music to life? Treble if done right makes things sound wonderful but too much can be a bit painful, especially on many modern songs due to brighter recording and poor mastering.

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 23
Yes the Q701 is good for long listening. I found them incredibly comfortable and I've worn them all day a few times. I used to own the HD 555(which are absolutely terrible imo) which has the same form factor as the HD 598 and yes it was very comfy but I found the Q701 more comfy, the Q701s seem to disappear on my head they were so comfy, the complaint on the Q701 is the bumps on the headband which bother some people but many people it does not bother. Also I found headphones such as the DT 880 and DT 990 more comfortable than the HD 5xx series. Comfort depends on the persons head though. A FiiO E11 or E10 would do a better job than the E5, as the E5, E6, and E7 are quite weak in power. The DT 880 and DT 990 also need an amp. Another headphone to consider is the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro, it's the bassier, slightly brighter, and more detailed twin of the DT 880, it's also cheaper. The treble may bother some people though, but if the DT 990's treble bothers you, the DT 880 has a good chance of bothering you as well since the DT 880 is almost as bright and shares a similar sound and presentation. The AKG K240 MKII is also a little bright as it shares a very similar frequency response to the DT 990 but the presentation is completely different, whoever says the K240s are dark haven't amped them properly. The treble is tamer and softer than the DT 990 but just as present, but that tameness can go a long way for some. But regardless the K240s treble shouldn't bother you even if the DT 880/990s do as they present it differently. The Q701 has tamer treble than both the K240 and DT 880/990. The DT 880 and 990 are roughly the same quality in sound as the Q701. The Q701 has more bass than the DT 880 but less than the DT 990 and the treble is more pleasing than both DT 880/990 but still has enough to give it a sense of air and life. Senns from my experience with a few exceptions tend to have less treble than neutral. Basically do you want a little sparkle up top to help bring the music to life? Treble if done right makes things sound wonderful but too much can be a bit painful, especially on many modern songs due to brighter recording and poor mastering.

Thank u so much for the infomative answer! Since i live in israel and there is no retail stores that has headphones to try or reasnable price i cannot try before buy. So ill have to trust your gus word and reccomandation. Do u think buying the q701 for about 240$ and an amp for more 30-50$ is a smart buy? Im not an audiophile but i like quality music and want to have high end headphone expreince with headphones that will make music shine and fun to listen to. Is te q701 is te best choice for that goal? And why it has to be amped ? I read ppl buying 200 dollars amp for them and tats way to much for me. .. Would to hear more thoughts before i order ( i also have to pay shipping to israel and high tax because amazon dont send electronics to my county)

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:
Thank u so much for the infomative answer! Since i live in israel and there is no retail stores that has headphones to try or reasnable price i cannot try before buy. So ill have to trust your gus word and reccomandation. Do u think buying the q701 for about 240$ and an amp for more 30-50$ is a smart buy? Im not an audiophile but i like quality music and want to have high end headphone expreince with headphones that will make music shine and fun to listen to. Is te q701 is te best choice for that goal? And why it has to be amped ? I read ppl buying 200 dollars amp for them and tats way to much for me. .. Would to hear more thoughts before i order ( i also have to pay shipping to israel and high tax because amazon dont send electronics to my county)

No problem. I know how that feels. I was a blind sheep when I first started the headphone journey. The three best headphones you can basically get in the $150-250 range are the Q701, DT 880 Pro, and the DT 990 Pro. Well the AKG Q701(or the DT 880 or DT 990) with the FiiO E10 would be a good buy, the DT 880/990 need to be amped as well. Well basically some headphones need more power to sound how they should, otherwise they will sound weak, distant, and a bit dull. Amplification can bring the more demanding headphones to life, making them more lively and powerful sounding, it can make them sound tighter and more controlled, it can bring out more detail, and make the sound bigger, etc. Basically it just makes the experience more enjoyable. Tube amps in my experience are more enjoyable than solid state amps, but for a decent tube amp you have to spend at least $150. Basically the better the amp, the more improvement given the headphones scale up well and have a synergy with the amp. Basically for the hi-fi experience in your price range either the Q701 or the two Beyers will be your best bet. The Q701 and the DT 990 are funner sounding headphones. The DT 880 not quite as much.

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 23
Thanks so much :) how about the asus xonar dg as a replacment of buying an amp ? Or the fiio 10 is the best thing for the price ? Also how durable are the q701 i want headphones that will last for any years to come and also do i need to know anything else before purchasing the q701 ? Thanks :wink:

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Thanks so much
smily_headphones1.gif
how about the asus xonar dg as a replacment of buying an amp ? Or the fiio 10 is the best thing for the price ? Also how durable are the q701 i want headphones that will last for any years to come and also do i need to know anything else before purchasing the q701 ? Thanks
wink.gif

No problem. SInce the ASUS Xonar DG has an amp and I haven't heard it, I can't say since I don't know how good the DG's amp is. I have the ASUS Xonar DX(has no amp) which I use as my DAC. The FiiO E10 probably has the better amp and you can use it on laptops(if you have one) as well making it more portable. The build quality of the Q701 is good and the cable is detachable meaning it's very easy to replace, you also get two cables in case one goes bad. The Beyers seem to be built more sturdily than the AKGs but the cable is not detachable, meaning replacing the cable on the Beyers is a lot more work if it happens to go bad. So between the Beyers and AKGs I'd say it's a toss up in durability, both are built really well. Durability isn't a problem. As long as you're not excessively rough with them they should be fine. If you ever decide sometime in the future to get a better amp, the AKGs will sound even better.

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #12 of 23
How about not using an amp for the moment, the q701 will sound bad ? I dont listen to music loud nyway so why is the need for an amp of 62 ohms headphones ? Also where can i find reviews on them and how well they perform unamped with te generes i listen too. Aain thank a lot for your time and help. I'm still confused though since tons of ppl praise the hd 598 and their rank here is top 15

Jan 10, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #13 of 23
How about not using an amp for the moment, the q701 will sound bad ? I dont listen to music loud nyway so why is the need for an amp of 62 ohms headphones ? Also where can i find reviews on them and how well they perform unamped with te generes i listen too. Aain thank a lot for your time and help. I'm still confused though since tons of ppl praise the hd 598 and their rank here is top 15

The AKGs will sound quite good without an amp, they just sound a lot better with one. Be careful on what people rate higher, just because a headphone is rated high doesn't mean it's better or even that good in it's price range. There is sometimes a tendency to overhype some headphones and some brands over the competition. Sennheiser is good, but their current good reputation largely comes from the HD 600/650 and the HD 800; all three of which are out of your price range. The general consensus is that the Q701 is the better headphone than the HD 598. The AKGs will have a clearer and more detailed sound and they will do well at rock. I personally wouldn't really consider buying any Sennheiser below the HD 600 and HD 650, which is the league the q701 and dt 880/990 are in, the HD 598 simply isn't as good and is a league below any of those. I find that Sennheisers cheaper headphones generally don't compete that well with the competition. AKG and Beyer are generally the better choice in the $100-300 range.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 23
Ok thanks a lot ill just buy the q701 no questions asked. :) i just dunno if to add xonar dg to it or just buy it without amp and get a decent amp later on ( i have seen chinese amp called qinpu for about 50 bucks) is the qnpu amp is good ? a sinpagorian audiophile told me its an amazing amp for the price ( i think he said qinpu or some word similar) when i was in china. He told me a lot of unkown chinese brads do the job of thousands of dollars products and ppl yet dont know about ( well in china i bought two beats by dre studio for about 40$ each and they sound better then the geniune one :wink: so maybe u can reccomand for me a good chinese amp ? I bet the community here knows the good quality chinese product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back