HD580's worth it, unamped?
Feb 22, 2009 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BChan92

New Head-Fier
I want to buy a pair of senn HD580's, but if i get them, i won't have money for an amp, so I am asking, will these do well w/o a powerful amp, i do have a hotusb1 usb dac/amp, but I don't know if that's strong enough. Will the hd580's still sound good through this cheaper dac/amp?

ps: please don't tell me to look at other headphones or amps, i'm only asking about the hd580's

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 17
THey are OK, and certainly better than most "average" consumer grade phones from the same setup, but you are selling the system short.

Try out Some of the Koss KSC-75 or portapro or perhaps grado SR-60 if you are not going to spring for an amp. They do benefit from a nice amp, but they are not as "system dependant" as the senn's.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 17
I used HD580s for about 8 years without an amp. They are ok without an amp, but it made a huge difference when I got a tube amp, now I can't imagine going back.

Your dac/amp will help, but it isn't ideal. I think you will enjoy it if you've never heard any good headphones, but just keep in mind you have massive room to grow with the HD580s if you choose to.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 17
My HD580 still sound great out of the line out of my computer at work. At home though, out of the Zero they sound much much better.

The HD580's are such a great deal at the current going rate that I would spring for them regardless. As soon as your done buying them though I would start saving up for the amp because it is a big improvement.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #5 of 17
right now i have the eH-350 which is very good for $60 and I wanted to upgrade, but I read around and no one had suggestions (some say the 555 isn't much of an upgrade to the eH350) so i used the money to get the hotusb1 thinking a dac/amp would help anything I got later on, so you all are saying go for the 580's?

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #6 of 17
Yeah if you like the Sennheiser signature sound the HD580s are great phones even in a less than optimal setup because they scale incredibly well. You can very slowly build up a very respectable system and the cornerstone is the HD580s.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 17
Nah. Get a Senn PX100 instead. This can surprises me every time I listen to it.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 17
I used HD600 (identical for your concerns) out of an mp3 player for a while. Sounded good, worth the cost.

Feb 22, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #11 of 17
Very well worth it.Even unamped sounds quite a bit better than many headphones which supposedly don't need amplification(like HD595 or PX100...)

Feb 23, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #13 of 17
When I first got my HD-580, this site didn't exist yet. I didn't have a headamp and I thought they were terrible out of a receiver headphone jack. Didn't use them for over half a year until I managed to build my first headphone amp. However, I tried them in more modern times out of iPod jacks and they sound acceptable - volume can't be pushed too much and they're a bit thin but it wasn't too bad. I would definitely plan on getting an amp down the road for them; if all you want is a permanent solution, a different headphone would likely serve you better.

Feb 23, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 17
thread title is tad misleading as you do have some form of amp

no idea about the hotusb1 but i'd say it will probably do for now while you save up and look for a better amp... take a look as the FS/FT forums here... fund another member's upgraditis and get a good amp for a bit less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back