HD580 vs K701's - Soundstage Battle!
Mar 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ExplosiveDuck

Head-Fier
In the market for a new headphone, still, and I find myself wanting some "deeper" sound than what I'm hearing now with the K701's, but only the slightest bit deeper and I'll be happy.

More importantly, since I'm borrowing these 701's and don't want to spend that much money on headphones just yet, I want to buy something that's going to have a good soundstage and detail level to it, because I feel like I've been spoiled by these good headphones. (Though they sound a little bit too airy for me.. I can bass it up a bit with EQ and it helps, but sometimes that makes certain songs sound goofy.)

Will the soundstage be comparable between those two headphones?

(I -do- have a tube amp, so driving the headphones won't be a problem.)

(I listen to a wide range of music, with about equal listening to heavy metal / hardcore and jazz / funk. Thanks!)

Mar 29, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 11
In short, no. The soundstage of the 580s is less "artificial" sounding than that of the 701, but it is much smaller. The soundstage of the 580 is good, though, and I don't think you would be disappointed.

Also, just because you have a tube amp doesn't mean that driving the 580s and the 701s won't be a problem. What amp is it? Is it OTL or not? That kind of thing matters, esp when you are dealing with one high Z and one low Z phone.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #4 of 11
If you don't want to buy K70X used. So, the Ultrasone Pro line will be great for you...
k701smile.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 11
What amp do you have? You could mate your K701 with a Canamp to give it a much deeper soundstage too. In general a great match for the K701 if you like it but just want a deeper soundstage. Sure it´s still a bit bass light compared to my other headphones but actually give them some body
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm a huge fan of the HD580. I have never listened to the K701.

Edit - that statement didn't add much. The sound stage of the 580's is accurate and adequate in size. In my opinion, the 580's do well with all genre's I've tried them with (acoustic, classical, punk, metal, classic rock, prog. rock, opera). They benefit from amping, but are no slouches without amping, again in my opinion.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 11
Another comment on the HD 580 - I think the soundstage is good, but not amazing. Problem being my other headphones are the AD700s (infamous for huge sound stage).

Regarding the K701s, one thing I have heard is that they are very, very picky about their amplification, i.e synergy is important, not just power. Again, based on hearsay Ultrasone Proline might be something interesting to look into

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_dong146 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another comment on the HD 580 - I think the soundstage is good, but not amazing. Problem being my other headphones are the AD700s (infamous for huge sound stage).

Regarding the K701s, one thing I have heard is that they are very, very picky about their amplification, i.e synergy is important, not just power. Again, based on hearsay Ultrasone Proline might be something interesting to look into

That is so true.. My 701 was my favorite headphone with my Bad12/DAC1 combo.. The 701 was pure crap out of my DAC1. Sold my 701 to go balanced.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #11 of 11
Well my Amp is a Starving Student MiniMillett - If that helps to further the help.

I guess in the end I'd say that the soundstage is the most important aspect to me. Of course detail matters, but I think it gets to just be a nitpicky level once you go so far up in the headphone world.

I really like the instrument seperation I hear in the 701's and how I can hear every cymbal being hit, no matter how hard the guitar is driving.

I guess I'm going to just have to keep shopping around and listening until I hear a pair that I really like.

I've heard that those AD700's are good though, and if they have a great soundstage then I'm all for it. Are these good overall headphones? Will I be able to tell a big difference between them and the 701's in your opinion?

Thanks!
(The AD700's are easier on the pockets too, which is always great.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back