HD580 vs. HD600
Feb 4, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just going by the review in Sound on Sound magazine. The reviewer compared the dt770's extremely favorably with his studio monitor speakers.

I wouldn't believe much in those reviews.

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #19 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes me wonder what those monitors were.

Are the 770's really that bad? Are the Sennheiser's better? The dt 250's got a similar comparison in a different review. Here's the quote on the 770's:

Of course listening on headphones is a different experience to listening on loudspeakers, but the overall tonal balance is surprisingly close to that of a pair of top-flight monitors. You don't get the same physical impression of bass because only your ears are involved, whereas with speakers it's your whole body, and the stereo image always seems to exist inside your head rather than in front of it, but for track laying late at night or for scrutinising a mix for imperfections, the DT770s are hard to fault. Other than the lack of an unpluggable cord, these are fine studio headphones. Paul White

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by berzzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I may ask, what were the 580's going for?

I can buy the used hd580's for under $150

Feb 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #22 of 36
Always be wary of audio magazine reviews. They often follow the philosophy of "when you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." While this is a good life credo, it does not do justice in audio. Less than 10% of reviews are negative from my experience, making magazine reviews a poor resource when separating the wheat from the chaff.

I have heard of the Senn HD 580/600/650 line being compared to the DT880s as they are supposed to be darker than the DT770s if I recall correctly.

The 580s are fine phones if you can get over not having carbon fiber and metal, or whatever the stuff is that the more expensive ones are. The money saved can be used to buy some pretty good amplification, which these phones need.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:29 AM Post #23 of 36
Here's my thing - looking at the HD580s now - looking to replace/upgrade my MS1s. Looking for a less bright, more mid-range favoured phones to counter my IEM upgrade to X10s from SCL4s. Would mostly be running them out of a HotUSB1?

Any thoughts on this? Also where would one buy HD600 grills?

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 36
I think you can get the grills straight from Sennheiser, they are not very expensive.

The HotUSB1 (which I have) will probably have difficulty driving headphones which demand dedicated high power amplification...it uses an all-in-one amp/dac/usb chip. Hotaudio definitely has some amps up to the task, but the HotUSB1 just wasn't meant for such high-end gear. In short, you'll want to buy an amp and feed it the output of the HotUSB1.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:08 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by lejaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One other set I thought I should throw into the mix is the Beyer DT770. They are a lot cheaper than the high end Sennheisers and are pretty highly regarded as studio headphones. Anyone compared these to the high end Sennheisers or AKG's(which are beyond my budget)?

Which of the four DT770 models?
They all have a different sound.
Going from bass heavy to bass light.
From earpearcing treble to muted treble.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The answer is fairly easy when you hear both of them.

It's not a matter of a different quality, but a matter of taste.
The DT770 2005 consumer edition is as good as the HD580, but has a complete different sound sig (bright vs. warm).
And yes, I heard both of them.

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Jubilee were basically a fine-tuned version of the 580.
.... the 600 *is* a better headphone, but the 580 is very close ...

This "fine-tuning" that's talked about now and then, what, exactly, is "fine-tuned", and how?

Is the mysterious fine-tuning what's better, or is it something else too?

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #28 of 36
@JW most people who have HD580s have Precision, not Jubilee, and it is likely that the HD580s he would buy would be Precision.

These are the true HD580s and are noticeably worse than HD600s (I have both), but they are good enough to warrant $150 used price. I paid $100 for my HD580 new back 10 years ago.

Feb 4, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #30 of 36
I just did some brief A/B with them on my setup using same cord of course. The sound stage is more narrow, the details are not quite as precise, and it's just missing something musically. Overall they are close, but the HD600s have them beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back