HD580 vs HD600??Technically the same???
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

mitchb

1000+ Head-Fier
I have all three phones the 580/600/650 and enjoy all three for different reasons. My question is that since the 580's and the 600's use the same drivers and, assuming as I have done,modded the grills to 600 grills and am using 650 cable and/or Cardas cable I notice the 580's to be a brighter sound with a more narrow soundstage than the 600's. Do my 580's after several hundred hours play require more burn in or are they just different sounding than the 600's regardless the headphones being just about identical with 600 grills mod to the 580's. Are they a different sound or do my 580's just require more burn in. I did notice with my 600's that they really opened up after many hundreds of hours play. I know the 600's have better matched drivers than the 580's but assuming my 580's are pretty matched I'm wondering. Any opinions would be appreciated::

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 21
Burn-in is highly debatable, and pretty much disproved if you believe reputable sites like Audioholics (who tested loudspeaker burn-in, and found that pretty much the first use breaks them in).

I believe the only difference between HD600's and HD580's is the grills, paint job, and the HD600's drivers are matched more closely.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn-in is highly debatable, and pretty much disproved if you believe reputable sites like Audioholics (who tested loudspeaker burn-in, and found that pretty much the first use breaks them in).

I believe the only difference between HD600's and HD580's is the grills, paint job, and the HD600's drivers are matched more closely.

Burn in is a fact whether it be new headphones, a new automobile or just a plain pair of new shoes, burn in is not a debatable question. It is a fact.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn in is a fact whether it be new headphones, a new automobile or just a plain pair of new shoes, burn in is not a debatable question. It is a fact.

Prove it. The closest anyone has come to it, is this article. And even that says the crazy claims some people make are bunk.

Oct 5, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 21
Well the difference between a car and headphones is that mechanical wear on the car is large and easily noticed/measured. In headphones, the displacement of the diaphragm is so small that I seriously doubt the strain (in the engineering sense) caused by vibrations will stress the material beyond the elastic region. Thus, it is highly unlikely that we'll get any deformation of material on the membrane as a result of long term use vs the strains caused by initial turn-on.

IMO, burn-in is mental. It takes a while for the mind to get acclimated to a certain sound.

Oct 5, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #7 of 21
Burn in = ********. Pure and simple. How do I know? I have a pair of 580/600grilles/650 cables/880 headband that have about 1000 hours on them. I just put together a pair of brand new 580/600 grilles/650 cables/880 headband. No Difference.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You brought this up in another thread, but apparently you stopped reading that thread. The guy who wrote that article designs speakers for friends and has a degree in business. He's no expert in the field.

Edit: I don't have an opinion one way or the other, but you should do a little research on these writers you seem to believe without hesitation. And you've never even owned new headphones and tried it yourself!! Not trying to be rude or call you out, but I think these things need to be taken into account.

Oct 5, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 21
I've seen burn-in work on many cans, over and over again. Indisputable.

OP -- I've had all three cans over the years, and found the HD580's to have the brightest (best for me) sound of the three, also.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 21
Can we get back on topic! The burn in topic is really old by now.

I'm curious about the differences between HD580 vs HD600 too. I own the HD580 and my only complaint is that they are a wee bit on the bright (nothing harsh!) side and lack a wee bit bass. The 600 or 650 may be perfect for me.

Oct 5, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 21
I think it's the marbled paint job that makes the difference.

Seriously though the hd600 and hd580 have the same drivers and baffle.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's the marbled paint job that makes the difference.

Seriously though the hd600 and hd580 have the same drivers and baffle.

I've read posts saying HD580 w/600 grills and cable = HD600. A few posts as a matter of fact.

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can we get back on topic! The burn in topic is really old by now.

I'm curious about the differences between HD580 vs HD600 too. I own the HD580 and my only complaint is that they are a wee bit on the bright (nothing harsh!) side and lack a wee bit bass. The 600 or 650 may be perfect for me.

When I first decided about a year ago to acquire a set of phones for classical only, I did an exhaustive search going back till about day one on this forum and a few other locations as well.

The impression I came away with was that the HD580, 580 Jubilee, and HD600 were pretty close together, but that the Jubilee and HD600 were the slightly better pair and that two of the items you mentioned were mentioned on some of the posts. That the bass was slightly better and lower on the Jubilee and HD600, and the treble response was a tiny bit less bright. Some found it a big difference, some found it small. I dunno; never heard a Jubilee or HD580.
tongue.gif

....I don't use them just for classical though; I use 'em for lotsa stuff!
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 21
I had the HD580s for quite a while, and then bought the HD600 but I was hard pressed to hear any difference between the two. Another reason for buying them is so two people to listen to them from the same amp, but I found that one of them (I forget which) was always noticeably louder than the other one, so that idea didn't work out very well. They were built several years apart so there may have been changes in the production over the years. That and general batch to batch variations may explain differences that people hear in them. I eventually sold the HD600 as it wasn't worth the difference in price to me. The HD650 is a different story.

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try an old vs a new pair of headphones (same model)...and you will see that burning is more real than you think!

Our ears are not good benchmarks. Hearing is most likely our most fallible sense...

The only way to see if there is any difference, using our ears, is with a double-blind test. Not ABX. Not just listening to them.

On topic, yeah, if you change out the grills they are pretty much the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back