hd580 recable, couple of q's
Nov 4, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

needmorstuff

100+ Head-Fier
is anyone aware of any decent places to buy cable and connectors in the UK? I am after making a cable for my hd850's.

I am planning on using an engraving bit on my dremmel to carve a chanell out of the connector housing down to the pin and then soldering wire on the pin. Then fillign the channel with epoxy and heatshrinking the connector.

Nov 4, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 15
a quick search lead me to redco.com - i was considering mogami w2534 and a neutrik np3c or canare f16. Roughly $delivered to the uk

W2534
Mogami W2534 Quad Mic Cable
Base price US$0.91
Features/Options:
Choose W2534 Color Black
20 US$0.91 US$18.20
NP3C-B
Neutrik NP3C-B
1 US$5.78 US$5.78
Product Cost US$23.98
Shipping Cost US$24.00
Total US$47.98

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check www.canford.co.uk, they sell mogami, canare and neutrik.

thankyou. that will certainly save on shipping costs for me.. but now I don't have a clue what cable to get.. i see they have the neutrick p3c jack plugs but not surw what cable to choose from that range of offerings.. any help?

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by needmorstuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thankyou. that will certainly save on shipping costs for me.. but now I don't have a clue what cable to get.. i see they have the neutrick p3c jack plugs but not surw what cable to choose from that range of offerings.. any help?

Im considering getting the Mogami 2893 for a recable.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im considering getting the Mogami 2893 for a recable.

yes i saw that one.. what connector you thinking of? I'll have to try and get some specs or opinions on the 2893 cable.

Nov 4, 2007 at 4:20 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

yes i saw that one.. what connector you thinking of? I'll have to try and get some specs or opinions on the 2893 cable.

Well, Im going balanced so its Neutrik XLRs.

Nov 4, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd personally pick any light-weight cable over 'heavy' (and likely stiffer) cables. Been there and done that.

Cheers!

well thankyou for you opinion, it is most welcome as I am a re-cable virgin. I am after a cable that is sonically good with no microphincs. That is it... nothing fancy.. I bought an aftermarket cable from on of the BIG four and i didn't even listen to a single track as it was so microphonic.

So basically I think it comes down to either
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...0_2001377.aspx
or
http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...0_2001378.aspx

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 15
ok, so i've ordered the mogami 2893 http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...0_2001378.aspx

a neutrick np3x-b http://www.canford.co.uk/commerce/it...3_2002493.aspx

an for the Y split a 5mm y split from here http://www.qables.com/shop/index.php...ex&cPath=76_93

I have 3m of white heatshrink tubing 4.8mm for the y to end http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...8396%26fvi%3D1

and various double walled adhesive black heatshrink to make up diameters where needed and to re-inforce the connectors at the headphones end...

1, have i missed anything
2, does anyone have any tips?
2, is the mogami going to be too thin? 1mm outer for the conductors.. I plan on twisting and heatshrinking the entire length form y-split to connector for strength.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:39 PM Post #12 of 15
well I'll talk to myself... wont be the 1st time..

got a 2.4mm engraving bit for my dremmel and it eats through hard plastic so should be good to channel the connectors on the stock cable.. I then decided to get a 1.4 mm bit as this should give me more precision.

I have a nice moulded y split that i plan to fill with epoxy resin to hold the y solid...

heatshrink has arrived, white for the twisted conductors from split to can and some black adhesive heatshrink for the ends..

the neutrick jack is very nice indeedy.

got the moagmi cable and am thinking it's a mistake, it is only 5mm totall width including jacket and the conductors whilst being ofc copper are very thin, 1mm inc jacket! I hope they are subsantial enough after some heatshrink.. oh well it's my virgin voyage so next time I would maybe get the mogami 2534 or better...

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

well I'll talk to myself... wont be the 1st time..

got a 2.4mm engraving bit for my dremmel and it eats through hard plastic so should be good to channel the connectors on the stock cable.. I then decided to get a 1.4 mm bit as this should give me more precision.

I have a nice moulded y split that i plan to fill with epoxy resin to hold the y solid...

heatshrink has arrived, white for the twisted conductors from split to can and some black adhesive heatshrink for the ends..

the neutrick jack is very nice indeedy.

got the moagmi cable and am thinking it's a mistake, it is only 5mm totall width including jacket and the conductors whilst being ofc copper are very thin, 1mm inc jacket! I hope they are subsantial enough after some heatshrink.. oh well it's my virgin voyage so next time I would maybe get the mogami 2534 or better...

Just personal comments since 2534 is about my favorite cable for IC's However I've used 2893 on several 'phones and think very highly of it. The SQ and noise rejection is about equal to the 2534, greater flexibility and less weight are a plus.
(also a perfect fit with the Neutric strain reliefs) When you are done and up and listening after the wire breaks in, even though the guage is small. The bandwidth seems far better balanced than any stock cable. I think you'll be pleased with your choice.

Nov 9, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Negatron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just personal comments since 2534 is about my favorite cable for IC's However I've used 2893 on several 'phones and think very highly of it. The SQ and noise rejection is about equal to the 2534, greater flexibility and less weight are a plus.
(also a perfect fit with the Neutric strain reliefs) When you are done and up and listening after the wire breaks in, even though the guage is small. The bandwidth seems far better balanced than any stock cable. I think you'll be pleased with your choice.

580smile.gif
thanks man, really appreciate the reply. I was a bit concerned about my choice but you have given me hope. All the bits are at home now so I should have the cable done in a few days.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

580smile.gif
thanks man, really appreciate the reply. I was a bit concerned about my choice but you have given me hope. All the bits are at home now so I should have the cable done in a few days.

More than happy to relate my experiences. I can't stress enough the importance of good soldering, take your time and use plenty of flux - it cleans up fine. The prettiest wires in the world are gonna' fall apart sound wise with a bad contact.

By the way, for the info of others, a complete re-cable with 2893 on a pair of K501's with 701 pads added tight bass never thought to be the domain of 501's along with the 501 mids and highs these are some really pleasant 'phones. - Does wonders for the highs on DT770's also. It's good wire..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back