HD580 are like a favorite pair of jeans ...
Jun 14, 2008 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

rgoodnight

Head-Fier
Even though I own an AKG K1000, my favorite headphone is by far my HD580 (Jubilee) - as I shared in a headphones you own and the one you like best poll.

Since most times I mention my preference for the HD580 over the K1000 I get some "heat", I thought I'd share a thought of how my HD580 are a lot like a favorite pair of jeans for me.

1) They are both comfortable - I can wear both for hours.

2) They are great for casual occasions/listening (e.g. I am sitting on my couch, typing this on my MacBook Pro and listening to Pandora through them).

3) They can be used in more "formal" occasions. For less casual occasions, I can put a sports jacket on my jeans and look pretty good. Similarly, I can easily take the HD580 from casual (e.g. laptop) listening to my main system and dedicated amps for "formal" listening.

4) I've owned both for almost 10 years and would not dream of giving them up. The HD580 pads on top and "springs" have finally conformed to my "big" head, just like the jeans have adapted and changed to the shape of my body.

By contrast, I still feel a bit awkward and formal when I use the K1000s. They are much less forgiving of poor sources, need me to be in my listening room next to the dedicated amp, and they don't sound as warm and cozy.

That's not to say that I don't like the K1000s - they are like a great Armani suit, but I guess I am more of a blue-jeans guy
icon10.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 27
I agree that the 580s are great cans. I've got a set, and they don't do anything wrong at all, and do quite a bit right.

Jun 14, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 27
I feel pretty much the same way about my HD600s, which I'm led to believe are basically an update to the HD580 with different grilles and headband.

I also own K701s, and while I appreciate the extra detail, the HD600 just seems to work with all of my music. The K701 is great with specific recordings I have, but I find myself picking up the HD600s for 90% of what I listen to.

I went out for some shopping earlier, and wore the HD600s on a walk out. They are the only full size cans that I have I would actually walk around outside in. They are understated and proportioned in such a way that I don't feel too weird, and don't actually attract much attention. The K701s on the other hand, I wouldn't wear out unless I really had to. It's a shame about the colour scheme as well - for home listening it's fine, but I hate white headphones, and they are also quite large and stick out quite a bit. I'm sure they could have maintained the same SQ but toned down the visuals.

I also own Beyer DT990 Pro, and again they are brilliant on some tracks, and surprisingly good straight out of my TV without amping (which the HD600 really struggles with) but I just don't find myself picking them up.

I guess that's the best way to find out which cans are the best for you, get several sets, give them plenty of burn-in opportunity, and give each one a decent test period over several days - then see which one you reach for the most.

I think part of the problem is I was blinded by figures, it's so easy to look at an advert and see the quoted frequency spectrum and think 'that'll have good bass', or 'that'll be more detailled, it has a wider frequency response'. I won't be buying based on that again!

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 27
Are HD580 old? because i dont see them on the site.

I am looking forward to buy HD555 or HD595 & HD580 just lie between them.

Can u pass some links?

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #8 of 27
I always find it interesting how we all see things differently.

However, let me say that the HD580s don't do anything poorly. In that sense I agree they are like an old pair jeans. Whether they do anything well is the question for me. I am redoing my A/B testing but I have personally only found one genre that they seem to consistently excel at...female vocals.

The Senns are a nice can, but I find they are the LAST can I reach for when I want to listen. Ahhh, must be why there are so many choices
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always find it interesting how we all see things differently.

However, let me say that the HD580s don't do anything poorly. In that sense I agree they are like an old pair jeans. Whether they do anything well is the question for me. I am redoing my A/B testing but I have personally only found one genre that they seem to consistently excel at...female vocals.

The Senns are a nice can, but I find they are the LAST can I reach for when I want to listen. Ahhh, must be why there are so many choices
smily_headphones1.gif

But what's your overall favorite? How about putting all your cans on this list and voting for the one you like best?

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgoodnight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD580 pads on top and "springs" have finally conformed to my "big" head, just like the jeans have adapted and changed to the shape of my body.

I have just replaced both top and ear pads on my HD580 and now they seem to sound better. All in my head, perhaps, but I'm enjoying them even more - renewed comfort and sound, it seems.

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are HD580 old? because i dont see them on the site.

I am looking forward to buy HD555 or HD595 & HD580 just lie between them.

Can u pass some links?

The 580s are no more, but they are functionally identical to the HD600. A couple of cosmetic changes only. Still remain just one step from the top of the Senn line after 12 years or so. Great phones. Some say they need a home amp with serious voltage. I say they benefit from that, but sound great straight out of sources with decent headphone sections.

Tim

Jun 14, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgoodnight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But what's your overall favorite? How about putting all your cans on this list and voting for the one you like best?

Randy, tried to add to the list but failed. The Senn's are nice enough, but the can's I reach for most often are the K501s, but the 225s for Rock .

Glad you're enjoying your 580s.

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Randy, tried to add to the list but failed. The Senn's are nice enough, but the can's I reach for most often are the K501s, but the 225s for Rock .

Glad you're enjoying your 580s.

I've added both the K501s and SR225 for you - but you can only vote for one
mad.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the 580s are great cans. I've got a set, and they don't do anything wrong at all, and do quite a bit right.

Well said.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back