HD580 & 6X0 Users, what have you experienced moving to AKG K701's?
Nov 26, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Lavalamp

100+ Head-Fier
I had a chance to listen to the K701 for about 15 minutes and liked the sound. They were the shop demo model, and may not have had the desired 450 hours burn in.

I like my HD580's. I'd be interested to hear people's experiences and observations from going from Sennheisers to the K701.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 18
actually, when i moved up, i really misesd the sound of the 650s. the warm powerful bass was really REALLY missed. I still have both headphones, and i find myself picking up the 650s more than the k701s. THe k701s have more detail, but they lack in bass, and for me, music enjoyment. i know some of you wont agree with me, but i really like the pounding feeling of the hd650s. they make me want to dance
biggrin.gif
. of coures, if you dont care for heavy bass but you like excellent highs, then the k701 would be yuor best bet.
600smile.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 18
I should prolly post this on the FS/T forum, but the thought just hit me: would anyone like to trade 701s and 650s for a little while, like 2 or 3 weeks? The 701s are my only really good headphones, and I would like to sample the grass on the other side of the fence.

I'll delete this if the OP wants...

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 18
In a word, bliss....

I do miss the bass of the 650s. When I put them on now and I've been listening to my 701s though, I can't take the lack of detail or balance.

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 18
For me it was a very big positive change, the 650s (which I owned previously) were just too bassy (to the point where I feel it intruded into the lower midrange) for my needs, but when I moved to the K701s I found them to be far more balanced wit better treble extension and detail, but still having sufficient and articulate bass.

Nov 27, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 18
Does the treble literally extend further out, or is there just more of it? (Serious question.)

Another question for people who have used both: Can the K701s truly resolve more inner detail than the HD650s, or is this a perception caused by the K701's greater treble energy? The HD650s seem pretty darn detailed to my ears.

Nov 27, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the treble literally extend further out, or is there just more of it? (Serious question.)

Another question for people who have used both: Can the K701s truly resolve more inner detail than the HD650s, or is this a perception caused by the K701's greater treble energy? The HD650s seem pretty darn detailed to my ears.

This is a very non technical answer but IMO alot of it has to do with the fact that the 650s simply have alot more bass quantity (ie: it's more prominent) than the 701s which to me at least can intrude into into the midrange and the treble. So I think the way I'd answer that is that the bass is more prominent in the 650s (conversely/comparatively less prominent in the 701s). I've heard them called bass monsters on this forum (by RnB180 IIRC), and while I don't necessarily agree to that extent, I do agree that it is a fairly prominent/memorable feature of those cans). It just seems like there is more of it and at least the way my system was set up, it was more bloated than in the 701s which was more articulate or "tighter". That being said one of the things about the 650s is that they seem to be the cans to get if you want cans that really scale well with good amplification. I've heard the 650s in various forums and configurations at this point but unfortunately (or not) for me, they just didn't do it to a point where I would need to retool my rig for them. One thing I do/did like with the 650s is that they are a warmer sounding headphone, which brings me to a point that makes me think that I should try out the 600s or 580s at some point.

This is the thread where they are called bass monsters if anyone is curious:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...rs#post1831860

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #8 of 18
I'd be curious to know if the 701s have a more dense sound than a 650? I've found the senns to present the music in fashion very much like a big slab of juicy meat (not just in the bass but in the overall presentation) in other words it really carries the weight behind the phones. when I listened to the AKG 501s, they were very airy and thin sounded like what popcorn would taste like to me, light, casual and satisfying. Both are great phones, just depends on what I'm in the mood for.

Are the 701s just as smooth as the 650s?

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 18
Assumnig I am understanding your question correctly, no I don't think that the 701s are as thick/full bodied sounding as the 650s, they are thinner and airier (to me atleast).

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assumnig I am understanding your question correctly, no I don't think that the 701s are as thick/full bodied sounding as the 650s, they are thinner and airier (to me atleast).

yeah that's the answer I was looking for, I find the 650s to be real lush at times and get fatigued after a all day listening session, something I never got with my 595s.

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah that's the answer I was looking for, I find the 650s to be real lush at times and get fatigued after a all day listening session, something I never got with my 595s.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone suffering from 650 fatigue, but we are all different after all.
I may misunderstand the definition airy. To me airy is more of a blackness, the 701s were thin to my ears and also did not have blackness. I guess I need to give them another chance. The first time I heard them, very briefly, I was very unimpressed. But they have so many fans on here that there must be something I missed.

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 18
I own the 600/Cardas and K701. I do believe that the spike in the treble of the K701s add detail, while the Senns have more midrange detail. The K701 is technically better and more refined then the 600 (and maybe 650), but it is "airy", sterile to my ears, and less musical.

I prefer the Senn HD600 to the 650 for the reasons PFKMan23 alluded to - too much bass. The 600 while grainier has the right amount of bass IMO.

That being said the, the K701 can be very enjoyable and accurate.Given a very musical system, they will lean just a bit towards more musicality.

Nov 28, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 18
I think the general characteristics of each headphone has been described well (specifically, the HD650 vs K701). The resulting sound you get from your headphones, depends on the rest of your equipment. I am finding that my K701s can have quite a bit of bass; they do need a bit of a kick in the pants, so to speak. I am also experiencing that the K701s can have some "meat" to them, while retaining nice detail...

Nov 28, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 18
i've experienced nothing but misery going from the HD650 to the K701. the treble and bass extension is no longer there. notes sound sanded off and not full. harps and string insturments in Bach pieces sound synthetic, the "cleanliness" felt in the K701's presentation is actually at the cost of all harmonics, echos and other musical cues. bass is no longer present, there is no attack...
what i could say about the K701 is that it's the jack of all trades, master of none.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've experienced nothing but misery going from the HD650 to the K701. the treble and bass extension is no longer there. notes sound sanded off and not full. harps and string insturments in Bach pieces sound synthetic, the "cleanliness" felt in the K701's presentation is actually at the cost of all harmonics, echos and other musical cues. bass is no longer present, there is no attack...
what i could say about the K701 is that it's the jack of all trades, master of none.

That is interesting (sounds like a frustrating experience). I am hearing nice tone/texture of instruments, detail (including echoes, when present in the recording) and instrument separation. The bass is punchy and kickin. I really did identify w/the lack of bass and the "synthetic" sound, for a while (w/a bit of sibilance, at times), but that seems to have gone away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back