HD580/600 vs Ultrasone 580/780 vs Grado SR80i
Sep 8, 2009 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
I am in the process of searching for new headphones and I have read alot about each of these pair on these forums.

I will be pairing them with a Vivid Technologies V1 DAC/AMP.

Music listening consists of a large amount of electronica (mostly trance), rock, pop, and metal. There will also be some light movie watching and gaming, though music is by far the most important. I will be using these alot and comfort is absolutely necessary. I don't need closed cans but they don't have to be open either.

If I were go with the HD580/600 I would be getting them used, where I could get the Grados and Ultrasones new.

With these uses, which would fit me the best? Thanks!
atsmile.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 13
One worry I have about the ultrasones is the size of the earcups, which seems pretty small. As i said I will be wearing these alot (as I have roomates and don't even own speakers), so comfort is a huge quality. This same thing goes with the Grados. The HD580/600 are just massive and look like they will not hurt the ears in the slightest bit.

Sep 8, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Once you've properly adjusted the HD580/600 they are extremely comfortable, at least they are to me. I'm not a big fan of cans that touch my ears too much because after a while they become very uncomfortable. My Grado's are a perfect example of this. They are very light weight and just sit lightly on my head and the pads exert almost no pressure on my ears. But after a few hours, I experience a lot of discomfort. Circumaural is my preferred full-size can style for this reason.

Beyerdynamic are legendary in the comfort department and I believe the reputation is well deserved. The DT880 gets a whole-lotta-lovin around here so it might be worth your time to research it some before pulling the trigger.

Good luck!!

Sep 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks. I am still a ways away from ordering, as I am still awaitng for the amp to arrive. However I only have my old hd485 for now and I am sure I am going to want to upgrade soon after getting the amp.

Sep 9, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 13
With room mates, consider closed cans. The senns and grados will leak a bit of sound. The HFI 780's can be fitted with beyer pads, DT250's I think? It makes them worlds more comfortable. If you search my user name, I have a thread or two with my impressions of the 780's, stock and modded - never mind, here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/esw...i-780s-420797/

Quick summary - buy 'em used, I wouldn't own them stock, I like them a lot modded. That is just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...

I think the 780's would fit your needs. Note that I listen to rock, acoustic / vocal stuff, a bit of metal and classical. little to no electronica or trance stuff. the 780's are great for rock, good to great for the acoustic and vocal stuff, pretty good for classical. Again, my opinion. See my comments on opinions above.
smile.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 13
x3 closed cans with room mates.

The Vivid V1 is a bright amp, consider non-bright headphones to match. No Grados, Ultrasones, AKG 70x etc. I listen to a lot of electronica and after a couple of hours bright cans become instruments of torture...
Have a look at neutral/non-fatiguing closed cans (>200 ohms to match V1), they may not sound as exciting in the first 10 minutes but you'll appreciate them much more in the long run.

I have a pair of Beyer DT250/250 which I love (and wear for hours at length) and I believe the DT150 is even better suited for electronica. The lack of bass of HD600 for trance (relatively to closed cans) is somewhat frustrating, it makes me pump up the volume too much.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 13
Grado's are pretty uncomfortable for long listening sessions, if you have a large head like I do. I wouldn't be able to watch a feature-length film without several breaks. That's IMO of course.

As for the others, I only have HD600's but they are extremely comfortable and (also IMO) work really well with pop and electronica - you'd hear superb sound-staging and separation. Metal can get kind of "busy" with dozens of highly distorted sounds coming at you, which the HD600s will graciously point out. I'd still recommend them, esp. if you can find them cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back